shape
carat
color
clarity

The kitchen

No, the beadboard paneling is part of the renovation, although there's lots on the back stairs that is original. Our walls are lath and plaster and during the first renovation we did - the very small former servants' bathroom in the back of the house - I saw, to my horror, the contractors carrying buckets of laths out the door. I had no idea they'd demo perfectly good walls, and they didn't see why I didn't want sheet rock everywhere. Renovation is a learning process! The upside is that now the exterior wall on that bathroom is insulated, but they got very strict instructions to save all the plaster that they could.

So in our bathroom where they tore out the 1970s tile, the plaster was too damaged to save, and we thought beadboard would look appropriate, although the contractor wanted to use vinyl beadboard. I won the battle for wood, though.

Along with the irises, I swoon over the magnolia stained glass piece. A friend of mine really got into doing stained glass work herself, and created gorgeous garden scenes for their sidelights, and lower windows for privacy. Their's is also an old, beautiful home.

I saw one of the artist's magnolia pieces, and it was my inspiration. Instead of a blue ground, it had a beautiful grey, but he didn't have that color of opalescent glass when he made mine. I have offered to buy the grey one, but he can't quite make up his mind to sell it:
Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 07.55.51.png

This is also beautiful, @empliau. This one has a different feel to it—the blue one feels so contemplative and serene to me. This one feels more moody. Talk about anthropomorphism on my part. :D

Our bathroom window with the magnolias is south facing. All year the sun streams through and leaves watery blue light on the tub and white beadboard. It really is pretty.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP