shape
carat
color
clarity

The "Original" E-Rings

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey! I was drooling my way through the "Under 1 ct" thread as well as the "Show me the Bling" thread when I noticied that many of you ladies, over time, has aquired upgraded E-rings. I thought it might be fun to have a thread where you can post your original ering along with any upgrades you have had over time.

Let's see those Rings! :naughty:

Here is my upgrade- sorry for the horrible photos. My original e-ring had an RB center of .76ct. For our 3 year anniversary we upgraded to a RB 2.04ct (we were in college when we got engaged- the upgrade was after we both had jobs and were a little more established).

000111AsarEring218f.jpg

rahRBNatalek2102.jpg

I started a thread similar here.. to give you some more eye candy.

but here is mine, and its going in for another remake redo, after my PC from WF, I had some issues with the whole ring altogether :sick: so now I'm working with Jonathan from GOG... the end result is TBD though in a few months.

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ginal-ering-and-the-ps-transformation.116326/

but here's mine... :oops:

I still have my original e-ring (1st one on this collage)

PSupgradetransformation.jpg

My very first ring was a .5 carat that my mom gave us. I upgraded to a 1 carat when we'd been married about a year (it was spur of the moment) then in May of this year we upgraded again to the 2.5 I currently have.

ry=400-1.jpeg

ry=400-2.jpeg

ry=400.jpeg

And this is my second upgrade with my current. I always thought the jeweler did a pretty crappy job of setting my 1 carat in my original setting.

IMG_5623.JPG

IMG_5625.JPG

D&T said:

but here is mine, and its going in for another remake redo, after my PC from WF, I had some issues with the whole ring altogether :sick: so now I'm working with Jonathan from GOG... the end result is TBD though in a few months.

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ginal-ering-and-the-ps-transformation.116326/

Oh no! What happened?

I hope your new ring is exactly what you want! Feel free to share details :halo: or is there already a thread on this that I missed?

I gotta say, your collage made me laugh :bigsmile: I confess to a certain comfort in knowing that no matter what you choose, there are always opportunities to change your mind, and nothing is 'finally final' - obviously, we think in rather the same way ::) (and since I'm on my fourth ring I've got no soapbox, though I do plan for this one to be the last!)

well lets just say, that when a ring isn't done right the first time, it makes me question the whole set, and I had this sinking feeling right when I opened the box :(sad so I didn't wear the ring for a few weeks and decided that I wasn't too happy with it. Having had so many resets and redos, just made me ill on not getting the perfect ring the first time (if that makes sense) Although the diamond did blow me away and I still love PC, but I now know that I'm uncomfortable with a large princess cut (well large for me ::) ) the points on them really made me nervous to wear even though well protected by the bezel. DH is such a sweetheart, he just wants me to be happy with whatever I get (so long as I keep our first e-ring) so off I go searching again....

Sorry - I missed the Catch all thread (don't know where it is, otherwise I would chat with you more)

end T-jack ::)

On your fourth? whats going on Ms Yssie :naughty: sorry if there is a thread somewhere, I haven't been on as frequently as before.

Here's my original. The center stone was almost a third of a carat, and fell out a few years ago. It's soldered together, which worked for that set, but I wouldn't do it again.

originalwedset.jpg

Here's my replacement (three stone Asscher, 0.8 center 0.42 sides). I'm still getting used to the size.

platthree.jpg
threestoneoutside2.jpg

BoulderGal

Here's my evolution. Same stone in all three settings. .75, D, VS2. I'll keep the current setting until I manage to break it. :rodent:

gdfinalset.JPG

gdresetwrong.JPG

gdoriginalset.JPG

BoulderGal said:
Here's my original. The center stone was almost a third of a carat, and fell out a few years ago. It's soldered together, which worked for that set, but I wouldn't do it again.

Here's my replacement (three stone Asscher, 0.8 center 0.42 sides). I'm still getting used to the size.

BoulderGal

I seriously adore that three stone asscher!!! :love:

My original ering that he proposed w/was from Kay, and it had a really tiny diamond in it. Melee size. The stone fell out, I wasn't happy w/the customer service there at ALL, so then I got a mother's ring from Sears w/our birthstones on either side of a diamond. I think the stones were about 3mm each. Now I have a 7.1mm lavender spinel.

Pardon the humidity swollen ring finger in the bottom picture.

100_1198.jpg

100_04231.jpg

D&T said:

D & T - i love following your journeys for the perfect set!!!!

packrat said:
My original ering that he proposed w/was from Kay, and it had a really tiny diamond in it. Melee size. The stone fell out, I wasn't happy w/the customer service there at ALL, so then I got a mother's ring from Sears w/our birthstones on either side of a diamond. I think the stones were about 3mm each. Now I have a 7.1mm lavender spinel.

Pardon the humidity swollen ring finger in the bottom picture.

Packrat, the color of your spinel is amazing!

violet3 said:

:wacko: lol.. unfortunately my diamond journey to the perfect set, isn't about larger diamond (blasphemy :o - I'm also just a tad uncomfortable wearing anything larger than a 1 ct ish) but more so the optics and perfect setting. at least one thing is consistent in my resets is that they have all been in yellow gold ::)

D&T said:
violet3 said:

:wacko: lol.. unfortunately my diamond journey to the perfect set, isn't about larger diamond (blasphemy :o - I'm also just a tad uncomfortable wearing anything larger than a 1 ct ish) but more so the optics and perfect setting. at least one thing is consistent in my resets is that they have all been in yellow gold ::)

I know - I just always like seeing what you come up with - i don't have any money at all for jewelry (even for resets) so i enjoy following your journeys on here. I also love dreamer's projects too. i live vicariously :bigsmile:

packrat I love your new engagment ring. I follwed on the CS forum your threads on finding the stone and having it set. I think it is gorgeous!!!!! It was my inspiration for a lavendar spinel I just bought from Finewatergems to have set in a katie setting by JKT!

Thanks GekoD! :appl: I actually like all your resets for different reasons. There's something special about each one.

I read onward and saw your post about not being comfortable with much over 1 carat, and I must say that I think my ring is HUGE. Maybe it's the three stone bling factor. I don't know if I could be comfortable with a RB solitaire over a carat or so. Although I wouldn't turn it down if someone gave me one! :naughty:

Violet and Sarah, thank you both very much, that's very sweet of you to say! And Sarah, I'm very flattered and can't wait to see your ring when it's finished! :appl:

My original 14k yellow gold wedding set purchased in 1975 with a 0.21 ct "A+" diamond. When I had the stone removed, it actually weighed 0.18 ct. Any smaller, and it would be melee. Here it is on my pinky, before I had the rings resized so I could wear them on my ring finger again. My ring size increased after baby #2.

My original setting, now stretched so I can wear it on my ring finger, and sporting a 0.63 ct E VS2 ISEE2 stone from Good Old Gold. I asked Jon to orient the new head with the prongs N-S and E-W, just like my original ring. This is my every day set, and I love, love, love the ISEE2 stone. The new stone is the size I hoped my original stone would grow up to be. And, now it has. :appl:

ISEE24388.JPG

isee24442.JPG

old21ptering.JPG

I love this thread! I have nothing to contribute, but I can't help but admire all of your upgrades, ladies.

flygirl-I love your story on your upgrade, it's so beautiful & classic. It reminds me of my aunt's set. ::)

I dont have a picture of my actual first e-ring (1984), but it was a tiny band of rubies and diamonds and I do mean tiny, then when I was pregnant with my first son (1985) my hubby bought me my first upgrade, it was a .18ct diamond, dont know the spec's I would guess probably H-I color, SI1 (tiny small black carbon way down in the diamond), I wore that one for years till I got too fat and I wanted a bigger diamond, so I wore CZ's for awhile then right before our 20th anniversary (early 2000's) my hubby bought me my current 1.01ct princess cut SI2 I color, horribly deep cut, but it does sparkle...I would love to upgrade to around 1.5 round hearts and arrows, but it just isnt in the cards, one of these days I will have to dig thru some old pictures to see if I have a picture of my original ring somewhere....

This is a cool thread! My first ER way back in 1980 was a round .30ct J VS1. I still have this stone as it is a family stone. Hubby always said that some day we would upgrade and we did for our 15th anniversary to a princess 1.61ct J SI1. That stone went through a couple different settings over the years. For our 27th anniversary hubby upgraded again and most likely for the last time to my 2.52ct FLY rounded corner radiant.

cmsflyring0002.jpg

cmser2.JPG

cmsorig11.jpg

Catmom said:
This is a cool thread! My first ER way back in 1980 was a round .30ct J VS1. I still have this stone as it is a family stone. Hubby always said that some day we would upgrade and we did for our 15th anniversary to a princess 1.61ct J SI1. That stone went through a couple different settings over the years. For our 27th anniversary hubby upgraded again and most likely for the last time to my 2.52ct FLY rounded corner radiant.

I sincerely hope that is your last upgrade catmom, because there's no where to go from that fancy light yellow halo - it's perfection!

Catmom, your original e-ring looks a lot like my mom's original e-ring! She got engaged in 1976, and hers has a .25 ct IF RB center stone. She upgraded to a 1.5 ct (approx.) RB in a pave setting in 1987 and has worn that one ever since.

Here is my story again with updates since D&T's original thread... I will reset my present diamond into a three-stone in the next few years.

upgradeville2.jpg

upgradeville.jpg

D&T - nothing going on! And nothing will for another ten years at least - I had to 'get it right' before the wedding :halo:

So.. my story. Three guesses as to what my priorities are :devil:

First ring: made by someone local. I put full faith in the 'higher colour/clarity is better' way of thinking, ring had a 0.85 F VS with 0.3 E sides, threestone trellis (at least *that* is unchanging!). Setting wasn't well made, wasn't worth getting fixed, and as we weren't entirely happy with the customer service we started again with WF.

Second ring: stock trellis in 18kWG. Chose one of the first branded stones we saw (a 1ct G SI1) that whilst totally eyeclean, had serious obstruction issues. I got 0.3 G sides to match.. the obstruction really bothered me, so we traded up.

Third ring: I decided to "do it right". Designed the setting based on the Vatche RC solitaire, dropped colour and clarity to I SI2 to make a big jump in size to a 2ct centre (0.3 sides). BUt I made the mistake of choosing platinum, giving into my previously secret desire to own the 'most noble/forever' metal - that in reality looked terrible on my skin and that quickly developed a patina I loathed. I had other small disagreements with the setting that I came to notice only after some months of ownership, and FI and I decided we would rather fix everything before the wedding than plan to upgrade.

Fourth ring: Another size jump (to a 2.7) with a colour drop (to a J), I cannibalised my studs to provide sidestones that kept the proportions the same as Ring3 (0.43s), and unplated wg fixed the colour and wear issues. Perfect! :bigsmile:

*size 4, to put stones in perspective

Compare.jpg

Yssie, yours seemed to be a happy journey to bigger bling. Every one of your rings was very pretty. Of course I LOVE your last one! That WF mounting is my absolute favorite three stone.

Thankyou gemgirl! And oh yes, indeed :naughty:

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP