shape
carat
color
clarity

The pull of OEC optic - Ah man!

I got mine back in late October. I tried looking for pics from the listing but it was gone. Maybe I have it saved somewhere... gonna go look.

Found them! Dont laugh, but two of them are TERRIBLE!!

fk 2ct oec 1.jpg

fk 2ct oec 2.jpg

fk 2ct oec 3.jpg

That last one is the one I remember the best. I was like... yeah, nice photo.

FK is the master of all when it comes to this stuff. Check out this OEC she bought on ebay (which I subsequently bought from her and will be around my neck tomorrow in a BDG Barbara).

421993_304154322981253_100001600642598_849223_1398223171_n.jpg

417769_10150553905433165_615598164_9094857_506787912_n.jpg

athenaworth said:
FK is the master of all when it comes to this stuff. Check out this OEC she bought on ebay (which I subsequently bought from her and will be around my neck tomorrow in a BDG Barbara).

Love it! Can't wait to see it :)

Seriously, I wish I discovered OECs before I got engaged. Though I love my ring and wouldn't change it, I have since bought two OEC diamonds and they are amazing. I still catch myself looking for that "holy grail" on ebay. :love: :love:

Forte Kitty - when it comes time to upgrade you can bet I'll be coming to you for help! You could start charging finders fees!

Gypsy|1330068767|3133141 said:
I think this is a great deal. http://www.diamondbistro.com/category/215/Loose-natural-Diamonds/listings/26908/Gorgeous-208ct-L-VVS-Old-European-Cut-Diamond!.html

2 carats and 8mm. Appraised by Richard Sherwood with great light return and beautiful facets and great clarity and a nice small table. Great pictures.

Low risk. And beautiful. If I wanted a big beautiful OEC/Transitional, this one would be at the top of my list.

I agree! It is a stunning diamond.

I recently got engaged and my fiance gave me a ring with an OEC diamond that his mother inherited from his grandmother. The diamond was originally in a cocktail ring with a "twin" diamond set side-by-side. The diamonds are each 1.68 ct M VS1. My fiance's brother will get the other diamond to use to propose to his girlfriend (hopefully soon :D) I wanted to share mine, though!

IMAG0933_1.jpg

I think this is a great deal. http://www.diamondbistro.com/category/215/Loose-natural-Diamonds/listings/26908/Gorgeous-208ct-L-VVS-Old-European-Cut-Diamond!.html

2 carats and 8mm. Appraised by Richard Sherwood with great light return and beautiful facets and great clarity and a nice small table. Great pictures.

Low risk. And beautiful. If I wanted a big beautiful OEC/Transitional, this one would be at the top of my list.

Looks like it sold already! I'm kind of glad it did - I just sent payment for another stone and this was making me have second thoughts- but it's out of my hands now. A great stone at a great price- I wonder if it's a PS'er?

Wow bittew! A family diamond, 1.68 cts, and an OEC? What a fabulous combination and ring story! :appl:

junebug17|1330117447|3133615 said:

Looks like it sold already! I'm kind of glad it did - I just sent payment for another stone and this was making me have second thoughts- but it's out of my hands now. A great stone at a great price- I wonder if it's a PS'er?

I'm not surprised in the least that it's already gone. The price was great and so was the stone.

bittew|1330099893|3133353 said:
I recently got engaged and my fiance gave me a ring with an OEC diamond that his mother inherited from his grandmother. The diamond was originally in a cocktail ring with a "twin" diamond set side-by-side. The diamonds are each 1.68 ct M VS1. My fiance's brother will get the other diamond to use to propose to his girlfriend (hopefully soon :D) I wanted to share mine, though!

IMAG0933_1.jpg

Great story and a lovely stone. Wear it in good health!

The reason I love OEC's and transitional cuts is that they look good to me every time I wear them. They throw off chunky flashes of color, have flowery facet patterns and are much more interesting then my other diamonds. They ARE different and IMHO are better when they are in warmer colors such as G and lower.

Wow, some lovely rings there! I have to laugh though- I bought my OEC/transitional cut totally by accident! I'd been hoping to buy a 1ct RB solitaire for over a year and wanted to buy second hand (retail prices here in Europe are VERY high....). I'd seen a few on various websites but none was quite perfect (ie vague descriptions or unsure about seller). One day a 1.01ct F VVS popped up on a casual eBay search, set in platinum with baguette shoulders. Amazingly the seller lived nearby so I went to see the ring in person and couldn't believe how beautiful it was! I agree with all those above who talk about the personality of their stone, I feel I have a unique object which I can wear with pride.

Bittew - gorgeous ring!! :love:

I am completely with you on this. Most of my diamonds are ECs and OECs or transitionals.
I am attracted by the broad flashes and patterns of these stones.
Your eBay finds are amazing!
I've educated myself by bringing my loupe to antique and pawn shops and looking at their many diamonds. The nice cuts jump out at you. Unfortunately, I see a lot of chipping too...and not so nice cuts.
Also, viewing the posts and pictures here have been a great education.
I first started loving the old cuts when I inherited a ring from my grandmother. And Al Gilbertson appraised it and told me he loved it. This was many years ago.

Fortekitty! OMG! I would give my left kidney (or right...doesn't really matter) for that 2 ct OEC of yours! You are such a lucky lady! :appl:

You guys are a kick. :bigsmile:

I've sat and watched this happen over the past decade and have had the chance to inspect and appraise quite a bit myself. Dreamer, I like your counsel ... find the dummies who don't know what they have. :tongue: That is truly sage advice. More and more sellers however are becoming more keen to what they have. My mom and dad would frequent trade shows often and those that specialized in antique/estate jewelry as our store carries a fair stock of this kind of product too. These folks know what they have and are not afraid to charge for it. Many of them don't have any kind of lab report and quite frankly could care less too. I have footage of many different appearances of OEC/OMB I'm thinking of putting into one complete program covering the many appearances OEC's take on for educational purposes. It may make for an interesting view.

All the best,
Rhino

And Begonia ... if you are who I think you are ... OH MAN ... TRADE BACK THAT EMERALD CUT! :Up_to_something:

I have the model of that diamond saved and I have tweaked it some because if I ever began cutting emerald cuts, the one you own is amongst the rarest I have ever seen.

**edited by moderator. please re-read our policies on self-promotion**

Kind regards,
Rhino

Hmmm... well I would hardly call the sellers I have bought from "dummies" ;)) Usually the biggest issue they have is lack of knowledge about how to market what they have. Even when they *do* know what they have, they cannot sell it because people are unwilling to risk the buy. Most of the diamonds I bought were being offered for much more than I paid, and the sellers just could not get their price for love or money. I recently bought an OEC I was going to return, and when I told the seller I was sending it back I told her how to describe the ring in her listing, what title to use, and I also offered to send her all my macro photos! She preferred that I keep it even then, because selling was such an arduous process for her.

I prefer to think of my approach as cutting out the middle man. So there are mega savings there, since the dealers on ebay and other sources often mark up 100% over what they paid the original owners, maybe even more. So my method is more of a "fair trade" approach putting more money in the original owners hands usually, compared to the other options available to them, like pawn shops and antique dealers :Up_to_something:

I have also been so pleased with how nice and helpful and honest the sellers I have dealt with so far have been. It is only a small number of sellers, but in general the pricate people selling have been so easy to deal with and good at communicating compared to some (many) of the dealers I have dealt with.

LOL ... you're right. Perhaps I was a bit harsh with my wording. ::) But yes ... when you can find those selling who do lack the knowledge can be a good thing. ;)) But it can also be a bad thing too if they are overcharging for what they have. What is great though Dreamer is precisely what you describe in way of dealing with people who are open, honest and as truthful as they can be with regards to what they have and are trying to sell. I can't speak for the open market and what % people are trying to get but in my particular venue markups vary from as low as 8-15% upwards as values decrease. I can't imagine people marking up too ridiculously but then again nothing surprises me these days. Love your posts.

I am sure responsible vendors like you, and other PS vendors, are asking reasonable markups like you describe :)) . But pawn shops and the like, smaller antique dealers, I think they really low ball the people they buy from and mark up a lot on resale. There are a lot of those type of dealers on ebay it seems. I would be curious to know their margins, and if they are comparable to more mainstream jewelers and retailers. You might be right, and their margins are lower. But we always hear terrible stories of people trying to sell off jewelery to such establishments and being offered peanuts.

Hi Rhino :bigsmile:

It is a beautiful diamond...beautiful. I am silenced by the bold and simple architecture of EC's. OEC's are just so darn pretty.

Good to know about other services that GoG offers, that could help me access an OEC (aside from AVR). It's just an idea I'm tossing around...

That video may sink me however :lol:

You're 110% correct dreamer. Lots of pawn shops and 2nd hand dealers ... if they are going to lay out their $$$ will try to buy it for half of what they'll sell it for. They figure (and rightly so) that they may sit on it for an undefined amount of time and if they're going to lay out their capital they want to make good on it. The front of my store does this daily and often. They call me or one of our internet staff out for the diamond buys in which we'll inspect what they want to sell and I generally have a good idea of what the locals are offering as well as the city. When the buyers are screwing up in the clients favor I'll tell them flat out ... sell it at the price they are offering you. They don't know what they're doing. Most of them however do and figure in their favor and will down grade the stone to get it cheaper. When I offer the client 2 options to sell ... ie. high cash liquid or the consignment option many are going for the consignment option now. They get considerably more than what they would if they sold it for liquid, I don't lay out any capital and the end consumer gets a great deal. Win/win for everyone. I see this model growing over time.

Begonia|1330227865|3134703 said:
Hi Rhino :bigsmile:

It is a beautiful diamond...beautiful. I am silenced by the bold and simple architecture of EC's. OEC's are just so darn pretty.

Good to know about other services that GoG offers, that could help me access an OEC (aside from AVR). It's just an idea I'm tossing around...

That video may sink me however :lol:

**edited by moderator. no self promotion on PS**

muahahah

That's exactly what I told her, Jon! Don't give up the gorgeous EC! Just add a new diamond to the collection!

Yes you did Diamondseeker, and now Jon has seconded :))

Jeez Louise this PS is a dangerous place. A year ago I wasn't even wearing a diamond, and now I may be working on my second. I'm gonna have to plant a whole lot of flowers and prune a whole lot of trees this year :lol:

:lol: Dangerous is right!!!!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP