shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on my whiteflash diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
So I picked up the diamond today at FedEx. Drove straight to the jewelry store to get it mounted. Well ok . . . first I ripped open the box. . . then I ripped open the next box. . . then I tore in the package. .. and finally got to the folder that had my diamond all wrapped up inside. It sparkled and looked nice. . . but I didn''t want to play with it and drop it between the seats.

So off to the store we go. The ladies are very excited to see it. We open it up and they start looking through the loupe. I tell them not to tell me what they see because I don''t what to "know" about the inlcusions really . . . even though I know what to expect. They do love the stone. They say it''s really nice and I did great. I look through the loupe and I can''t even find the inclusion. Good. . . because I don''t want to be trying to find it at all different angles in different light when it''s on my hand. The cut is fabulous. The size looks great in real life. We hold it up to the mounting and it looks perfect. . . simple cathedral mounting.

Now . . . here''s the thing. The dang thing looks yellow to me. I''m thought I was sensitive to yellow. All the rings I looked at in the store. . . well I can spot the nice ones and the yellow ones easily. So I decided when buying the stone to get a good color grade. This is an F. This should NOT look yellow right?!?!? I mean not THAT yellow. It''s dancing and sparkling and looking yellow. We all kind of agree that it just doesn''t seem like an "F" in color. Though against a white piece of paper it looks nice and colorless. But just holding it over the mounting. . . over the counter. . . in other places it looks too yellow. I''ve never looked at a loose stone before. It was reflecting all kinds of stuff and sparkling just FABULOUSLY! So. . . tell me oh wise PSer''s do loose stones look differently when mounted? And how so? Will all the metal surounding it take some of that away? Or enhance it even more? I will have the ring on Saturday. It''s in on Friday but I''m out of town till Saturday. My fiance is none too happy with my comments that it doesn''t look like an F. Remember this is the THIRD ring. He''s annoyed with me. I understand. His patience is running thin. I understand. This HAS to be the ring. He left me do everything like I asked. I was afraid to pick a stone sight unseen. But I felt confident in my decision. I absolutely can''t turn around and say that I don''t like this one. He will kill me. Heck even I''m getting really sick of this. I''m nornally indecisive. . . but this situation is crazy. So please ease my concerns. I mean it''s an F!!!! F should not look yellow! What''s the problem???

the diamond color is not the problem. The issue is that your diamond is so nicely cut that it takes in/absorbs wall color, yellow shirts etc.... Your diamond is not an issue so enjoy it. Does it look yellow when you take it outside? I highly doubt it and bet it is icey white....My diamonds look yellow in our house because we have taupe walls everywhere :) Just means the diamond is doing its job...

Yellow walls?
Yellow shirt?
Yellow gold setting?

You said it looked okay against a white piece of paper so the yellow must be from the environment.
Diamonds reflect the colors around them.

An F is colourless and with a top cut and reliably graded Princess like that, it won't be yellow - no way. It could be picking up the colour from its surroundings however so check it out in different lights to see how it looks then - and make sure the diamond is clean.

That''s what I expected - that it was taking in all kinds of color. I hoped that would minimized once mounted. I didn''t get to look at it outside. I mean in the car - but it''s an overcast day. And it was still laying in the white and blue diamond paper. There it looked totally colorless. FABULOUS! I''m paranoid it will reflect my skin and look yellow!?!?! Yes I''m a paranoid freak. I know this. I can literally make myself sick to my stomach over this. I''m very sensitive to color and don''t want it to look yellow on my hand. And it seems crazy stupid that I would have to drop down in cut in order to be happy with color. Seriously. Hmph. I know I''m picky. I''m driving me and my fiance crazy. I SOOO want to be 100% excited about this and I''m pretty nervous. Waiting a week will kill me. Especially if it turns out that I would want to send it back. Who in their right mind would send back and F diamond that dances like this???? Please tell me I won''t want to do that!

What surroundings are you looking at it in? Diamonds (esp when well cut) reflect color in their surroundings. Put on a white shirt, go into an all white room, and see what you think then - also could it be reflecting your skin color? Are you looking at it holding it in your hand, or are you looking at it in a temp stone holder, etc?

Also what is the weight on your diamond?
Is it a WF ACA or ES, or is it another shape that you purchased from them? Who did the grading report?

I was way paranoid with my F (which actually just missed an E on the spectrophotometer so it is definitely white) in the beginning, and could have sworn it was yellow right after I set it.

Lorelei - as you will read I didn''t get to see it in many types of lighting. I was too nervous to bring it home with me. I went DIRECT to the jeweler. My fiance wouldn''t have wanted me to keep it with me either. He was paranoid it will drop out of the packaging (I don''t know how?!). He bought it and so I couldn''t argue. :) I will still be within the 10 day period once it''s mounted. But I really don''t want to stress for a week. I was so excited about this and then saw yellow. . . hmph. I will take a deep breath and think about something else. :)

Date: 11/29/2008 3:57:45 PM
Author: hoofbeats95
That's what I expected - that it was taking in all kinds of color. I hoped that would minimized once mounted. I didn't get to look at it outside. I mean in the car - but it's an overcast day. And it was still laying in the white and blue diamond paper. There it looked totally colorless. FABULOUS! I'm paranoid it will reflect my skin and look yellow!?!?! Yes I'm a paranoid freak. I know this. I can literally make myself sick to my stomach over this. I'm very sensitive to color and don't want it to look yellow on my hand. And it seems crazy stupid that I would have to drop down in cut in order to be happy with color. Seriously. Hmph. I know I'm picky. I'm driving me and my fiance crazy. I SOOO want to be 100% excited about this and I'm pretty nervous. Waiting a week will kill me. Especially if it turns out that I would want to send it back. Who in their right mind would send back and F diamond that dances like this???? Please tell me I won't want to do that!
I don't think you will want to do that! I think you are ( understandably) anxious and are maybe are a little scared to commit to this diamond? I really think if you even got a D colour that it wouldn't be noticeably whiter than your F. I think what you need to do is to know you have a fantastically cut diamond which is not yellow, and live with it for a little while once you get it to appreciate its beauty and to gain some confidence with your choice. You have done everything right and have shown good judgement in the way you selected and purchased this diamond, maybe now is time to relax and get to know this diamond once you get it back, and then enjoy this wonderful in no way ever yellow diamond you have bought!

:) ( happy face person) ~ I posted the link - you can see it''s a WF ACA princess and it''s .72. The grading report is AGS and I think it''s still available online. Is your F no longer yellow? Not sure I follow what you are saying. . .

It will be in a white gold setting. As picky as I am, I can''t handle diamonds in yellow gold. :)

I didn''t see any yellow in the surroundings. I hope my skin isn''t too yellow that it will look bad on my finger. Is that even possible???? I never thought about that. That''s a whole other thing to factor in. Geesh. Against white paper it looked white. Nice and white. I loved it then.

Date: 11/29/2008 4:05:19 PM
:) ( happy face person) ~ I posted the link - you can see it''s a WF ACA princess and it''s .72. The grading report is AGS and I think it''s still available online. Is your F no longer yellow? Not sure I follow what you are saying. . .

It will be in a white gold setting. As picky as I am, I can''t handle diamonds in yellow gold. :)

I didn''t see any yellow in the surroundings. I hope my skin isn''t too yellow that it will look bad on my finger. Is that even possible???? I never thought about that. That''s a whole other thing to factor in. Geesh. Against white paper it looked white. Nice and white. I loved it then.
I don''t see the link but that is ok I see you said it is a 0.72 so you should be fine, and it is a princess - what I was saying is welcome to the OCD club - once things settle down and you get it set you will realize that it isn''t really yellow, you are just very sensitive to the colors being picked up in surroundings now and understandably focusing on finding anything that could be wrong since you just received it
9.gif

You are joking that an F looks yellow right? Your skin will not make it yellow either. Relax... you are making me anxious just reading your posts lol. You have a gorgeous diamond!

Please don't worry about your skin being the wrong color.

Nobody can change that, well unless you call yourself the King of Pop.

Date: 11/29/2008 4:20:09 PM
Author: beach
You are joking that an F looks yellow right? Your skin will not make it yellow either. Relax... you are making me anxious just reading your posts lol. You have a gorgeous diamond!
Beach, if she has the stone sitting directly on her skin (unset), and she has yellow tones to her skin, the stone just may be picking up its surroundings and causing some of the color she is perceiving, so yes, her skin could (as she said it was unset), but this won''t be an issue once set.

We held it up to mounting which was on my finger. Logically I know it isn''t yellow. Logically I know it''s a good diamond. My eyes on the other hand see yellow. The good news is that they see it''s a fabulous cut. I guess what worries me is that one of the ladies said she didn''t think it was an F either. Now THAT worries me. Means I''m not the only one to see it.
7.gif

Thanks for the welcome to the OCD club. Can I run for president? ;)

Date: 11/29/2008 4:46:45 PM
We held it up to mounting which was on my finger. Logically I know it isn''t yellow. Logically I know it''s a good diamond. My eyes on the other hand see yellow. The good news is that they see it''s a fabulous cut. I guess what worries me is that one of the ladies said she didn''t think it was an F either. Now THAT worries me. Means I''m not the only one to see it.
7.gif

Meaning she wanted to sell you another stone probably...really, take it outside. I highly doubt that anyone can see color in an F diamond.

Date: 11/29/2008 4:46:45 PM
7.gif

Haha - sure! I am the CEO..
37.gif

On a more serious note, are you somewhere that you could take it to an appraiser to look at?
You may also consider asking WF for their thoughts on the diamond - I think that they may give a preliminary in house grade to the stones before they send them to the lab for grading. It may be useful to you to get their feedback on what their opinion was (if they did indeed prelim grade it)

I''m suppose to get a LOV (Letter of Verification) from Whiteflash. That is done from an "independent" appraiser. But it''s getting mailed on Monday due to a delay due to T-giving. Not sure I understand that honestly. I don''t know what an LOV looks like or if there is grading on it. Anyone know?

I can''t take it to any light source because I left it with the jeweler to be mounted. I guess I should have kept it for a day. But I needed to get it there by Sunday night and this was the best day for me schedule wise.

I live near St Louis MO. I don''t know of any appraisers. That has to be done unmounted right? I looked at the PS link for appraisers that I stumbled across in another thread and didn''t see any near me.

Isn''t the AGS report official enough on grading? Maybe I don''t understand that. I don''t get why I''d want to take it to another appraiser when I have the AGS?

Date: 11/29/2008 5:09:35 PM
I''m suppose to get a LOV (Letter of Verification) from Whiteflash. That is done from an ''independent'' appraiser. But it''s getting mailed on Monday due to a delay due to T-giving. Not sure I understand that honestly. I don''t know what an LOV looks like or if there is grading on it. Anyone know?

I can''t take it to any light source because I left it with the jeweler to be mounted. I guess I should have kept it for a day. But I needed to get it there by Sunday night and this was the best day for me schedule wise.

I live near St Louis MO. I don''t know of any appraisers. That has to be done unmounted right? I looked at the PS link for appraisers that I stumbled across in another thread and didn''t see any near me.

Isn''t the AGS report official enough on grading? Maybe I don''t understand that. I don''t get why I''d want to take it to another appraiser when I have the AGS?

You don''t need to unless you needed peace of mind that it was an F, which it sounded like is what you wanted.

Neatfreak - yeah, but I really don''t want to pay more money. Color is subjective for sure. I understand that. I think I need to see it mounted on my hand like it will be in real life. That complicates returning it since so much time is wasted with it being at the store. Am I just paranoid? It''s an F for crying out loud!

IMO this has nothing to do with color and simply second thoughts and doubts about your decisions. You can not tell a color difference (unless your are a machine)what so ever but you can see the difference in writing on your paper which is driving you crazy. Maybe you should go up in color if it makes you happy but I will bet that you will see no difference what so ever except on that appraisal paper and your wallet.

Date: 11/29/2008 5:25:34 PM
Neatfreak - yeah, but I really don''t want to pay more money. Color is subjective for sure. I understand that. I think I need to see it mounted on my hand like it will be in real life. That complicates returning it since so much time is wasted with it being at the store. Am I just paranoid? It''s an F for crying out loud!

Then I don''t think you need an appraiser. And yes you are being paranoid. I am sure it''s a GORGEOUS stone. But as others have said ideally cut stones pick up colors around it, so if the lights at the store were yellow, someone was wearing beige, etc. can all affect how the color looks. It''ll be gorgeous.

If an F looked yellow to you I bet an E would too. I doubt anyone could tell the difference with the naked eye. I bet it is really gorgeous and you are just having second thoughts! Congratulations on such a lovely diamond!

Yes I do want peace of mind. And yes I am being paranoid. And I know how picky you all are on here and also how knowlegeable. So I turned to you.

If you read my other posts, you might know that I returned the ring my fiance proposed with. It was a 1/2 c. t.w. and we got the same setting in a 1 c. t.w. Then a week later I decided the ring was not for me and I wanted a solitaire. He was hurt with the first return and hurt and really upset that a week after we upgraded I still wasn''t happy. The prices for a solitaire at the stores were CRAZY! So I turned to you guys and to whiteflash. He agreed to my "crazy" idea of buying online. He went through the pain of wiring the money and the bank not knowing what they were doing and sending the wrong amount. So today when I say "it doesn''t look like an F". . . well he''s worried and upset that the saga will go on.

So yes I need peace of mind. I was hoping you all would tell me that the stone would look different when mounted. And maybe less able to pick up color. I trust that this is an F. My original ring (both of them) was an H-I. And as you know with jewelers they get inventory from the vendors and there is a wide range within that grading. So we ordered in 4 rings to try and find the one that was the best. We couldn''t really. And my ring did look yellow to me. So I was unhappy with that. While looking at those rings and at the solitaires later on I realized how sensitive I am to color. The solitaire that I liked in the store (.7 and an F) looked less yellow than this one I just got. I don''t know the cut quality but I can tell you after looking at mine that it wasn''t close to ideal. I wanted a GREAT diamond and I felt like this one was the best choice. I really wanted to be in the colorless range and I thought F was a good compromise. I never thought that because it was cut sooo nicely that I would have this problem. Seems counterintuitive to me that I''d want to look for a stone that was graded lower in cut just so I could avoid color reflection. That annoys me to even think about that.

Beach - not sure what you mean about the difference on paper. I was thrilled to find an F diamond. I never really considered a D or E. I wanted to be in the G-H range initially. Then I found this stone and was thrilled to be getting an F.

I guess I just need to forget about it and wait till I get it on my hand?

Relax, your stone is picking up colour from around you! Trust me. I have a D colour ACA and in some lights it looks yellow/brown. We were at dinner last night, and the walls were a horrible colour orange, brown yellow blucky!!!! And I was horrified to see my stone looked brown. But when I held it against my purple shirt, it changed colour all over again. It''s worse is lower light and coloured rooms, it will look different.

I find that some jewellers lighting can make the stone look really fiery and dark, which is a shock too at first, but then now I love getting into the elevator in the carpark as it goes really dark and fire just dances out of the stone. People were staring at my ring the other day, it looked amazing!

Don''t stress, when you get that ring on your hand and into different lighting, you will be amazed and your mind will be at rest. My advice, don''t stress too much to your FI yet, they worry about things like this. And then they will only say - I told you so when it''s alright
2.gif

A diamond gets all of its sparkle from taking in light and shooting it back out so it is not counterintuitive at all as to why they turn yellow, red, etc... If you buy a poorly cut diamond it will not sparkle at all. Diamonds never looks white all the time and do not have an internal light source to keep them the same way all the time. Maybe you should look at alot of diamonds before you judge the stone you have so harshly.... What they show on tv is not what is reality.... The diamond is not the problem here... This should be a fun process. Of course you should have some doubts but this is kinda extreme. I suggest taking a step back and asking yourself what is really going on... I have a feeling you will not be happy until you have the best on paper. Just my 2 cents

beach - am I missing something? What do you mean "what is really going on"? I''m crazy picky and indecisive. I''m nervous that round 3 in the ring search is going to be a bust. I expected to have a nice white diamond today since it was an F. I was disappointed that it looked yellow. That''s all that is going on. I had high expectations and was a bit disappointed. I feel pressured with the 10 day return policy. And I can''t see the stone again till Saturday. This kind of concern is not extremem from someone like me. I just joined the OCD club!

Honey - thanks for the post. Makes me feel better.

I want a ring that catches everyone''s eye. I hope this is it!

I am not trying to say anything to my fiance. Which is why I''m freaking out here. It''s my only outlet. He''s very worried about it already.

I am just being honest when I say this but your expectations seem to be the problem and set you up for continual disappointment. SO the only way IMO for you to get over it is to get the best on paper so you have no wiggle room to make yourself go nuts. So buy the best so you won't be asking yourself for the rest of your life "what if".....Your diamond is white, your expectations are the issue. That is the real problem IMO.

Don''t worry sweetie it will be all ok. I was stressing when I got my ACA, could I see the inclusion in a VS. What if it was the wrong stone and not matching the cert etc etc. When you see it on your hands, it will all be fine.

I honestly think it''s a bit rude to assume something else is up with the OP beach - maybe she is just a little stressy. It''s a big, emotional deal especially being round 3, cut her some slack
2.gif

If me giving my honest opinion is rude then ohh well. I am trying to help. I do not comment on your suggestions and say things like you are being too soft do I??? This is an open forum if I remember correctly. Maybe my professional background is kicking in by the way I responded. Funny, people pay me by the hour then....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP