shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on my whiteflash diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Thanks for the links guys! After seeing the video I can say that I am sensitive to color! I can easily see the difference between a D and an F. Face up on the other hand . . . not so much. :) I''m sure that mine is fine. I really think it was reflecting some yellow. Because I was seeing yellow reflections - some facets were flashing yellow. That tells me it it was reflecting yellow. I wish I had more time to play with the stone. I wish I had seen this video before I took the ring to the store. But I was on a tight time frame due to my situation. I think I made a pretty good educated choice! :) I did read A LOT in just a few short days. And I understand the scale very well. Just not how the grading is derived. I''m going to keep studying though!

I am also very color sensitive. I can clearly see the difference bottom up and actually also face up to an extent (from D to F). I find in real life - it is a lot harder to tell the difference. You are blinded by the sparkles that the color doesn''t come through as much. You sense some warmth once you get down to a G/H but don''t truely see the color.

Anyone can see the difference between a D and F when they are side by side on white paper. The difference is, you won''t be carrying around a D in your pocket and comparing once it''s set.

your diamond sounds amazing and i hope you can get past your concerns. i think you are suffering a bit from something many of have experienced--you want so much for it to be "perfect" that you are looking for flaws or problems. i have done this myself. i have D, E, F and G diamonds and in one case set right next to eachother and there is no discernible difference. I have a really unbelievably good eye for color (i dont say that to be arrogant but i have had stone dealers express amazement and ask how i know....) -- I can i see all the gradations in pearl color and orient, diamonds and colored stones)--I only say this to tell you that there is no one pickier or more sensitive. If the stone is white on white paper then its white. Further--the stones have an ability to somehow absorb and reflect anything in the environment--part of the addictive and mesmerizing quality of a diamond. Honestly if a stone only looked and reflected ABSOLUTE white all the time they probably wouldnt be as beautiful.

Thanks guys. Seeing that video really helped. I will say though that I don''t think everyone can see color that well. My fiance was watching with me and he couldn''t see the difference in the D and F. He didn''t notice anything till L! I wish I had the diamond so I could look at it more face down in different light. It certainly wasn''t totally white in the store. But again I think there is more color in that store than anyone realizes. Less than in Kay''s for sure, with their yellow walls, but still more than I thought. I can''t wait to get it mounted and in the real world so I can see how it does! :)

Date: 11/30/2008 2:16:39 PM
Author: hoofbeats95
I thought diamonds were graded from the top? Of course that''s what the people in the store told me.

I''m not sure why anyone answered me as to why I have to put the stone upside down on the paper. But I went to the store today with my mom to drop of her wedding ring to be replated. I asked them to bring out my diamond so I could show my mom along with the mounting. Mom loved the stone and didn''t see much other than a LOT of sparkle. I put it upside down on the paper. It looked a little yellow to me but only at certain angles. I took it in my little tweasers out in the hallway of the mall and it looked better. But there''s a lot of yellow lighting out there. I will say that the baby sparkles like nothing I''ve ever seen! It''s amazing. I can really tell how much better cut it is than what they have in the case. But the ones in the case look a lot whiter to me I think. I didn''t ask to compare to stones they have. The same ladies were there and they told me it''s gorgeous and colorless. They thought it looked yellow yesterday but when they pulled it out of the lighting it didn''t. The one lady put in in a piece of folded paper. She creased the paper so that the diamond sat upright and took it out of the lighting. It looked pretty good. I still thought I saw yellow. But I''ve pretty much decided that I''m keeping this stone. This is a done deal. I picked it. And like someone said above - I went through so much choosing this thing - down to every detail that it is almost impossible to please. At least with anal picky personalities like mine!

As to this question: Excuse me for asking the obvious, but have you checked the AGS grading number on the diamond with the number on the DQD? What is a DQD? The AGS report says the diamond is inscribed and we checked and it is. It says ''A Cut Above'' followed by numbers. It matches. DO I need to compare to something else?
The DQD is the Diamond Quality Document, which is your AGS grading report. The AGS has the strictest standards of all the grading labs and the DQD is their top grading report. I can''t help but wonder if some of the yellow you are seeing is the fire from the stone. With an ideal cut stone, you will see more colored flashes of light than with a stone that is not cut as well.

Date: 11/30/2008 2:16:39 PM
I thought diamonds were graded from the top? Of course that''s what the people in the store told me.

I''m not sure why anyone answered me as to why I have to put the stone upside down on the paper. But I went to the store today with my mom to drop of her wedding ring to be replated. I asked them to bring out my diamond so I could show my mom along with the mounting. Mom loved the stone and didn''t see much other than a LOT of sparkle. I put it upside down on the paper. It looked a little yellow to me but only at certain angles. I took it in my little tweasers out in the hallway of the mall and it looked better. But there''s a lot of yellow lighting out there. I will say that the baby sparkles like nothing I''ve ever seen! It''s amazing. I can really tell how much better cut it is than what they have in the case. But the ones in the case look a lot whiter to me I think. I didn''t ask to compare to stones they have. The same ladies were there and they told me it''s gorgeous and colorless. They thought it looked yellow yesterday but when they pulled it out of the lighting it didn''t. The one lady put in in a piece of folded paper. She creased the paper so that the diamond sat upright and took it out of the lighting. It looked pretty good. I still thought I saw yellow. But I''ve pretty much decided that I''m keeping this stone. This is a done deal. I picked it. And like someone said above - I went through so much choosing this thing - down to every detail that it is almost impossible to please. At least with anal picky personalities like mine!
Hoofbeats, give WF a call first thing in the morning. Ask what/if they preliminarily graded the stone''s color as PRIOR to sending to AGS.

Why would that matter? I'm curious

Date: 11/30/2008 11:38:28 PM
Author: beach
Why would that matter? I''m curious
i agree-AGS is pretty much the Gold standard right?

Yes, but she does seem to be very sensitive to color, even when looking face down on white paper and when comparing to others in the case. I **think** that WF does preliminary grading prior to sending the stones out for grading (although I don''t know if they do it on all stones, although I would suspect that they do so that they have some idea of what they have coming up to sell) - I was hoping maybe someone from WF would see the thread and chime in. The AGS graders are human and grading is subjective (just look at the grading study done here on PS), so perhaps she is not imagining things. I am recalling this thread where Dave Atla''s spectrophotometer showed AGS had overgraded by a color.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-had-an-i-diamond-appraised-today-and-was-told-that-it-was-a-k.55486/

I feel bad for her and I think this will always bother her unless she is able to put this to rest, and I was hoping if WF can say they also felt it was an F prior to sending it off, she can comfortably sleep!

Date: 12/1/2008 12:05:14 AM
Author: :)
Yes, but she does seem to be very sensitive to color, even when looking face down on white paper and when comparing to others in the case. I **think** that WF does preliminary grading prior to sending the stones out for grading (although I don''t know if they do it on all stones, although I would suspect that they do so that they have some idea of what they have coming up to sell) - I was hoping maybe someone from WF would see the thread and chime in. The AGS graders are human and grading is subjective (just look at the grading study done here on PS), so perhaps she is not imagining things. I am recalling this thread where Dave Atla''s spectrophotometer showed AGS had overgraded by a color.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-had-an-i-diamond-appraised-today-and-was-told-that-it-was-a-k.55486/

I feel bad for her and I think this will always bother her unless she is able to put this to rest, and I was hoping if WF can say they also felt it was an F prior to sending it off, she can comfortably sleep!
i understand what you are saying but keep in mind (and I am not being critical just poihting out) that this is her third stone.

Date: 12/1/2008 12:13:50 AM
Author: bgray
i understand what you are saying but keep in mind (and I am not being critical just poihting out) that this is her third stone.
I know, I was just thinking if WF can ''second'' the F grade, then maybe she could feel more secure in her choice.

Guys - it''s not really my third STONE. This will be my third ring. The first was just too small for my h and at 1/2 c t.w. When we went back to the stores (the mall stores) to try things on I felt pressure from my fiance to stick with the same setting. So all I did was increase to the 1 c t.w. I wasn''t ever happy with that setting. I wanted a solitaire and this had diamonds on the band and under the stone. (someone on here has the same setting that is considered a WF custom actually) But he was really HURT that I didn''t like the original ring. He chose the setting for a reason and I felt pressured to stick with it. I didn''t get to chose the ring - it was the only one they had. So no picking out stones going on here. A week later I told him I wanted a solitaire. He was hurt again but we talked about it and he told me to get what I wanted. That''s where PS and WF come into play. I couldn''t stomach paying regular store prices for a stone. And I saved about 1K by not doing so. So really this is my first STONE. And truly the first ring that I really picked out on my own with no outside pressure swaying my decision.

WF is sending the LOV today. Or they are suppose to. THey tell me that is from an independent appraiser. Will that have grading on it as well? I don''t know what to expect with a LOV.

I do think it''s fire that I see. I will say no stone I looked at in the store sparkled like this one! Also after watching the video that was posted above, I don''t see how something could get an F grading and not be pretty dang white. Wouldn''t you guys agree?

Date: 12/1/2008 8:04:08 AM
Guys - it''s not really my third STONE. This will be my third ring. The first was just too small for my h and at 1/2 c t.w. When we went back to the stores (the mall stores) to try things on I felt pressure from my fiance to stick with the same setting. So all I did was increase to the 1 c t.w. I wasn''t ever happy with that setting. I wanted a solitaire and this had diamonds on the band and under the stone. (someone on here has the same setting that is considered a WF custom actually) But he was really HURT that I didn''t like the original ring. He chose the setting for a reason and I felt pressured to stick with it. I didn''t get to chose the ring - it was the only one they had. So no picking out stones going on here. A week later I told him I wanted a solitaire. He was hurt again but we talked about it and he told me to get what I wanted. That''s where PS and WF come into play. I couldn''t stomach paying regular store prices for a stone. And I saved about 1K by not doing so. So really this is my first STONE. And truly the first ring that I really picked out on my own with no outside pressure swaying my decision.

WF is sending the LOV today. Or they are suppose to. THey tell me that is from an independent appraiser. Will that have grading on it as well? I don''t know what to expect with a LOV.

I do think it''s fire that I see. I will say no stone I looked at in the store sparkled like this one! Also after watching the video that was posted above, I don''t see how something could get an F grading and not be pretty dang white. Wouldn''t you guys agree?
sorry --i didnt read carefully enough regarding the 3 stones/rings. Sorry the process has been a little difficult for you. I think with Whiteflash you are in pretty safe hands. I bought buy stone from Whiteflash and it came with the appraisal. Quite honestly independant appraisal or not, and AGS or GIA certificate is pretty reliable especially if its travelled through Whiteflash''s hnads as well. Aanother imoprtant fact to consider is that the better a stone is cut, the more scintillation and fire it will have. I had an E vvs2 when i found pricescope but it was SO SO SO poorly cut that it only looked good clean and it was white but dead looking-

The LOV's have the ct weight, the AGS report number, what is inscribed on the girdle, info on the culet (if it exists) and what shape stone it is.... There is also an estimated price. Grade, color etc... is on your AGS report

I spoke with Whiteflash. They are SUCH nice people. I''m really glad I went with that company. I had a personal reference to another company from a guy I work with. However, I found out about Whiteflash here on PS. I LOVE them! They are fantastic and all concerns I had about ordering a diamond online and not picking one out in person at the regular mall stores have been eased and are just a dim memory. I think that drove my initial panic when I saw the stone at the store. My concerns have been eased and practically erased. They will work with me if I''m still not happy when the ring comes back on Saturday. I don''t think that will be necessary though. I''m very excited to get this ring and figure out how to take fantastic pics to post on here! :) I will admit my only regret is not getting the setting from Whiteflash and having them do the whole thing (and therefore getting more business). Dang it! I was just too nervous to do the whole thing online. However, I got a plain cathedral setting from the store. That''s not my dream setting. So as soon as I figure out what that is I will turn to Whiteflash to help me out. They are just fantastic!

And thanks to all the PSer''s here who have helped me select the stone and also helped me deal with my panic. I truly appreciate it. I will still be around once I have the ring because I enjoy all the eye candy and I still have a ton to learn! :)

Hoofbeats, I'm glad to hear you're feeling more at ease now.
1.gif

The stone earned an F grade from AGS, a lab with a sterling reputation for stringent grading. More important, though, your own eyes felt the stone was colorless when you viewed it against a white background.

I'd have to agree with the many others who suggested that the diamond may have been reflecting creaminess from the heavy jewelry store lighting and the surrounding wall color.

When you wear your diamond in typical daily conditions, you'll see it does reflect the colors surrounding it. If you wear a red shirt, the stone will reflect a red appearance.

I think your mind will be put to rest when you have the opportunity to wear your diamond and see how it performs under many different lighting conditions.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP