shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2006 7:26:27 PM
Author: winternight
Oh sorry I meant for smaller stones. The 66k is way, way out of anything I would be looking at for some time. The price difference here is pretty amazing, isn''t it.
if it''s worth it to you, then it is worth it, period. I really wouldn''t care about the money saved so much as you can get a *superior* diamond than those at tiffany''s for the same or less. It just wouldn''t say "tiffany''s" inside it. But if you really really really want it to say tiffany''s then get one that says that. Keep in mind upgrading too though.... you may only be at a 15k or less phase now but someday you might want the 66k stone and wish you could save the $20k or get a full half carat larger.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2006 7:49:32 PM
Author: dtnyc

Date: 11/29/2006 6:42:52 PM
Author: winternight
^^^
This topic has been on my mind. If I get a classic Tiffany 6 prong, round solitaire I''m going to try and get it through signedpieces, I don''t have any issues about a ''used'' diamond.
But I also like the Legacy ring and that would mean in all likelihood going to Tiffany (I don''t think there is much of a second-hand market there) - I think though that a .75 or something a little larger Legacy would be fine since I''ve seen a .56 and that looked pretty big to me, even next to a 1 ct. solitaire.

Honestly I just don''t think the mark-up there really is 40% for solitares or the Legacy ring. Someone had a thread about a Tiffany vs. non-Tiffany ring and based on the price of loose stones I didn''t see that much of a markup to have it already set by Tiffany.

Oh and another nice thing about Tiffany is they use conflict free diamonds. (I wonder if Cartier does...)
1- People will be able to tell that .56 Legacy is not a 1 ct. solitaire. I think halos are beautiful and I am having a 1 ct OEC set in a halo pendant- recognizing that it will make the stone look bigger. The fact that halos ''add'' size is not a secret. A halo is basically a form of a cluster ring- and I always think of Sienna Miller''s cluster from Jude Law when I see a small stone in a halo as an e-ring. My opinion is you are better off going for a larger center stone in a plain solitaire.
2- Tiffany did not invent the halo and there are plenty of rings out there that are very similiar to the Legacy- they did not invent that style.
3- I think if you do enough research you will realize it is very difficult, if not impossible to be certain that stones are 100% conflict free. There aren''t papers for stones at the point where they are under conflict.
I''ve heard the mafia has gotten involved in the candadian diamonds - so I guess then it becomes *which* conflict are you trying to avoid? LMAO!

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/29/2006 7:13:14 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 11/29/2006 6:47:07 PM
Author: JulieN

Date: 11/29/2006 5:52:37 PM
Author: salmon
That''s funny!! don''t mind me, I use to work in a lot of francophone countries with Medecin Sans Frontier (Doctors Without Borders). I often write words out that look French the way it would sound in French. It''s a language trick I lose and can''t seem to break, although I''ve been back in the states a month. I do think melly (Melee) is a corruption of the proper pronunciation. I pronunce culet as (cuelay), it looks French, so I pronounce it that way, I had no idea it was pronounced culit. Bad habits are hard to break. I was in a inteveiw the other day and said ''face en face'' and really meant to say ''face to face''. They probably thought I was mentally challenged. Hee hee!!
It is cuelay, I think. Sales peole look at me funny when I say meelee
40.gif

Ah, well, the perils of online education!
the vendors all say cue-lit :/ I''ve read both are correct which leads me to believe cue-lay is MORE correct but there is power in numbers :/ Meelee is more right in my head too. I say we fight it and continue to use cue-lay and meelee and make ''em suffer LOL
Funny cause I always say (in my head) cutlet, like a veal cutlet! LOL Even though I know it is cue-let! It just doesn''t sound right to me!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have never guessed "melly", that''s for sure!

Salmon, when you have someone like Leon make a ring, he sources the tiny diamonds (there..I can pronounce that!).

salmon

Shiny_Rock
diamond seeker: Thanks, it makes me feel better. Is melee expensive?

Dee Jay: You''re right on, Melee would be pronounced May- Lay if it were French. Good work.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/29/2006 9:51:12 PM
diamond seeker: Thanks, it makes me feel better. Is melee expensive?

Dee Jay: You''re right on, Melee would be pronounced May- Lay if it were French. Good work.
It''s not all that much for the tiny stones (1 to 2 points) in most pave rings. But Leon will give you a price for the completed ring, I''m sure.

jenniegirlm

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/29/2006 8:00:33 PM
Author: jayrenay9

Date: 11/29/2006 6:47:07 PM
Author: JulieN

Date: 11/29/2006 5:52:37 PM
That''s funny!! don''t mind me, I use to work in a lot of francophone countries with Medecin Sans Frontier (Doctors Without Borders). I often write words out that look French the way it would sound in French. It''s a language trick I lose and can''t seem to break, although I''ve been back in the states a month. I do think melly (Melee) is a corruption of the proper pronunciation. I pronunce culet as (cuelay), it looks French, so I pronounce it that way, I had no idea it was pronounced culit. Bad habits are hard to break. I was in a inteveiw the other day and said ''face en face'' and really meant to say ''face to face''. They probably thought I was mentally challenged. Hee hee!!
It is cuelay, I think. Sales peole look at me funny when I say meelee
40.gif

Ah, well, the perils of online education!
the vendors all say cue-lit :/ I''ve read both are correct which leads me to believe cue-lay is MORE correct but there is power in numbers :/ Meelee is more right in my head too. I say we fight it and continue to use cue-lay and meelee and make ''em suffer LOL
Funny cause I always say (in my head) cutlet, like a veal cutlet! LOL Even though I know it is cue-let! It just doesn''t sound right to me!
Haha! I used to think "cuT-let" too until I heard my jewler say "cue-let"! I''m glad I''m not the only one!
9.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/30/2006 4:37:20 AM
Author: jenniegirlm

Date: 11/29/2006 8:00:33 PM
Author: jayrenay9

Haha! I used to think ''cuT-let'' too until I heard my jewler say ''cue-let''! I''m glad I''m not the only one!
9.gif
Qulay is I believe the correct as in ballet - the French ending - but most people in the trade say Cue Light as in lit a candle

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results