shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany or custom?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CRB82

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

First post here but have been lurking for a couple of weeks trawling through previous posts! Loads of great info on here!
I''m looking for a ring to propose to my SO with and my dilemma is this: To buy Tiffany''s or custom made?
Let me set out my criteria first to give you all some insight:

I''m a very fortunate guy and my SO doesn''t want a big diamond. On the contrary she much prefers smaller bands and smaller diamonds so I''m lookinig at something of approximately 0.5 carats. This opens up a lot of options for me as it means there''s a lot within my budget for this size diamond.

She specifically wants a band with channel set diamonds in Platinum. The visual aspect of the setting of the ring is actually as important if not more so than the actual diamond to her.

She''s seen this ring in person and she LOVES it. http://uk.tiffany.com/Engagement/item.aspx?GroupSku=GRP10016&selectedSku=23464489#f+0/1001/2004/3001/0/3001
She went with her girl friends, who are good to me and passed back her honest comments that she didn''t like the rings above 0.5 carats as much, but actually much prefered the smaller ones.

From doing a bit of research here I realise I''m paying a premium for a Tiffany ring, this doesn''t really bother me as my main interest is buying a ring she''ll adore and as she has a preference for smaller stones it''s not as though the saving will be going towards a bigger stone.

I''m a little nervous about having a ring made and it not turning out quite how I expect and that''s where my dilemma lies. I have looked at other rings and online sites as recommended here and also at buying just the diamond and having it set but haven''t seen anything else that I think she''ll like as much as many of the other designs I have seen aren''t as ''sleek'' looking.

She''d like a Tiffany ring, but not solely for the reason that it''s a Tiffany ring if that makes sense?

I work in London so Hatton Garden is a possibility but there''s such an overwhelming choice it''s kind of hard to know where to start!

My budget is up to around £4500 - 5000 and my plan is to propose when we go to New York next year so have plenty of time still to look into options.

Any thoughts or help would be welcomed!
1.gif

Date: 12/7/2008 9:23:49 AM
Author:CRB82

I''m a little nervous about having a ring made and it not turning out quite how I expect and that''s where my dilemma lies. I have looked at other rings and online sites as recommended here and also at buying just the diamond and having it set but haven''t seen anything else that I think she''ll like as much as many of the other designs I have seen aren''t as ''sleek'' looking.

She''d like a Tiffany ring, but not solely for the reason that it''s a Tiffany ring if that makes sense?

If you can afford it and it''s the perfect ring for her, go for it. I''m all for buying Tiffany when the situation warrants it. That being said, you of course should know that you can find beautiful pieces elsewhere and we''d be happy to get more for your buck going with a PS vendor.

Make sure you take your time selecting a diamond at Tiffany''s though because some are better cut than others and an ideally cut stone is what will make a ring sparkle!

Date: 12/7/2008 9:27:13 AM
Author: neatfreak

If you can afford it and it''s the perfect ring for her, go for it. I''m all for buying Tiffany when the situation warrants it. That being said, you of course should know that you can find beautiful pieces elsewhere and we''d be happy to get more for your buck going with a PS vendor.

Make sure you take your time selecting a diamond at Tiffany''s though because some are better cut than others and an ideally cut stone is what will make a ring sparkle!
Very well said and I couldn''t agree more! For the money, you can find a bigger diamond but since size isn''t the issue and she would love to have a ring from Tiffany''s, go for it! I''m sure she will be a very happy lady!

Date: 12/7/2008 9:33:36 AM
Author: MissGotRocks

Very well said and I couldn''t agree more! For the money, you can find a bigger diamond but since size isn''t the issue and she would love to have a ring from Tiffany''s, go for it! I''m sure she will be a very happy lady!
Thritto Neat and MGR, I would go for the Tiffany.

Date: 12/7/2008 10:18:24 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 12/7/2008 9:33:36 AM
Author: MissGotRocks

Thritto Neat and MGR, I would go for the Tiffany.
Quad-itto!

As another Londoner who has rings from both Hatton Garden and the Bond Street names I would go with Tiffany for this. Tiffany were great when we bought our wedding rings from there. Having said that when we looked in Hirsch for wedding rings Mr Hirsch told me that had I bought my Ering from there they would have lent me a tiara for my big day!!! Not sure if Tiffany would do that.

You say she is not impressed with the Tiffany name but there is nothing like a little blue box. You know she likes that ring so it is just the safe bet.

Hope this helps.

If its within your budget, you should definately go for the Tiffany's one. She will love it! I was in the new Tiffany's store in Westfields (London) the other day and the rings are absolutely beautiful. No matter what anybody says, in my opinion a replica will never quite match up to the original. Hency why I have dropped my quest in getting a replica Tiffany solitaire. Im buying from a store in Hatton Garden instead.

Goodluck and let us know what you decide.

I''ll add my vote to go for the Tiffany...

Absolutely custom. No value in given a company 150% markup for some namesake that can''t be recouped in any way. She''ll appreciate the extra quality or size or both that you can get for the $$$ difference...

Marty
Diamond Brokerage Service Inc
www.dbsdiamonds.com

Date: 12/7/2008 1:31:49 PM
Author: dbsdiamonds
Absolutely custom. No value in given a company 150% markup for some namesake that can''t be recouped in any way. She''ll appreciate the extra quality or size or both that you can get for the $$$ difference...

Marty

Diamond Brokerage Service Inc

www.dbsdiamonds.com

Did you read what he wrote about it? He IS getting value. Value is different to different people...

OK, I'll be the contrarian voice, then. I think you should go "custom", provided you are comfortable trusting a well respected vendor such as GoodOldGold, Winfield's or Whiteflash and buy online. This is because:

1. You can be assured you'll get the best cut diamond (which at Tiffany's you are not - they will all be well cut, but there will be degrees of variation) and excellent workmanship (which you'll get at Tiffany's too)

2. The setting design can easily be replicated or imitated - while it's a lovely setting there's many very much like that (except the "Tiffany & Co." mark).

3. You can choose what to do with the money you save off not having that little mark: get a better (if not bigger) diamond, another jewel (such as a wedding band or a pair of earrings or a pendant), splash it out on a really luxurious night (or two) out on the town, get a better hotel in NYC... whatever.

4. You can buy at US prices - still way cheaper than the UK even though the pound has dropped a lot lately, and have the item(s) shipped to your hotel in NYC just prior to your arrival. While you may be able to do this with Tiffany too, point 1 applies... and so do US sales taxes if the vendor is NY-state based and you pick the ring up in NY.

Just my 1.4 p (2 cents, roughly).

[ETA: began writing this up before the last two posts]

Date: 12/7/2008 2:01:45 PM
Author: oldmancoyote
OK, I''ll be the contrarian voice, then. I think you should go ''custom'', provided you are comfortable trusting a well respected vendor such as GoodOldGold, Winfield''s or Whiteflash and buy online. This is because:

1. You can be assured you''ll get the best cut diamond (which at Tiffany''s you are not - they will all be well cut, but there will be degrees of variation) and excellent workmanship (which you''ll get at Tiffany''s too)

2. The setting design can easily be replicated or imitated - while it''s a lovely setting there''s many very much like that (except the ''Tiffany & Co.'' mark).

3. You can choose what to do with the money you save off not having that little mark: get a better (if not bigger) diamond, another jewel (such as a wedding band or a pair of earrings or a pendant), splash it out on a really luxurious night (or two) out on the town, get a better hotel in NYC... whatever.

4. You can buy at US prices - still way cheaper than the UK even though the pound has dropped a lot lately, and have the item(s) shipped to your hotel in NYC just prior to your arrival. While you may be able to do this with Tiffany too, point 1 applies... and so do US sales taxes if the vendor is NY-state based and you pick the ring up in NY.

Debatable regarding replicas being as good as the orig Tiff and the "ease" at which they are replicated. As far as I know, none can even truly replicate the classic Tiff solitaire, either there is too much metal in the prongs, the angles are not right, the prong edges are tapered differently.... no one has it right but the original.

Go with the Tiff.

Value or not, you''re not planning on selling the ring anyway.

And if you do, there is more resale in a Tiff on the general market than do the customs.

I''d go with Tiffany, but if you''re planning on going to New York, buy it there instead of in the UK. I''m in Ireland and as we had no Tiffanys up until a month ago, I had to get my valuation from the UK. There was almost £4000 between what I paid in New York and what I would have paid if I''d bought it in the UK.

Thanks for all the replies! It''s obviously a big decision for anyone and some reassurance is always welcome!
emteeth.gif

I think I need to book a consultation with Tiffany''s and see which precise stones they can offer me. Fortunately for me, the Royal Exchange is only a few mins from my work.

Date: 12/7/2008 11:10:32 AM
Author: sparklestick
As another Londoner who has rings from both Hatton Garden and the Bond Street names I would go with Tiffany for this. Tiffany were great when we bought our wedding rings from there. Having said that when we looked in Hirsch for wedding rings Mr Hirsch told me that had I bought my Ering from there they would have lent me a tiara for my big day!!! Not sure if Tiffany would do that.

You say she is not impressed with the Tiffany name but there is nothing like a little blue box. You know she likes that ring so it is just the safe bet.

Hope this helps.
Bad choice of words on my part perhaps sparklestick. It''s not that she won''t be impressed by Tiffany''s but she isn''t one who would only want a ring if it came from Tiffany. The ring itself comes first and she''d see anything else as bonus.

Neatfreak - thanks for the advice to take my time looking for it. We''re actually planning to go to New York towards the middle of next year which gives me anytime up until then to purchase it although trying to keep it secret for that period may prove more difficult!!

DBSdiamonds - thanks for the perspective. I''m in no way against having it custom made but have a slight nervousness when it comes to comissioning something such as this. I don''t want to go bigger than 0.5 carat as I don''t believe it''s what she would want or is what would suit her, so the question is more purely based on the setting than anything else. I haven''t seen another setting that I think looks as good although my mind is still open and I will continue to look. From the research I have done I don''t believe the quality of the stone would need to be compromised to stay within my budget.

A guess an additional question I have would be how good a rating on the 4c''s should I be looking to go?

I do know that prices for 0.5 carat with the channel set band start at £3400 at Tiffany''s. I''m probably looking to try and get 0.49 carat as I''m aware there''s a jump in prices at key points and it seems silly to pay extra for that 0.01, so I should have some leeway with getting as good a stone as possible. I''ll probably take some notice of the numbers but will probably make the decision based on which looks the best to my eye as this is how she will look upon it.

Is there any way to find out the cut of a Tiffany diamond?

Tiffany should have all the cut information available if you ask. You'll need depth, table, crown and pavilion angles. Then use those numbers and run them through the HCA (under TOOLS above) you'll want something that scores under 2. And it's a rejection tool not a selection tool, so if it's under 2 it's worthy of consideration but the lower the number past 2 doesn't mean it's better. Most Tiffany diamonds should score under 2, but some don't, so it's worth your time to make sure the cut is superb.

I personally would be very comfortable going down to I VS2 in a well cut RB which is as low as Tiffany's will sell for erings.

Date: 12/7/2008 2:01:45 PM

OK, I''ll be the contrarian voice, then. I think you should go ''custom'', provided you are comfortable trusting a well respected vendor such as GoodOldGold, Winfield''s or Whiteflash and buy online. This is because:

1. You can be assured you''ll get the best cut diamond (which at Tiffany''s you are not - they will all be well cut, but there will be degrees of variation) and excellent workmanship (which you''ll get at Tiffany''s too)

2. The setting design can easily be replicated or imitated - while it''s a lovely setting there''s many very much like that (except the ''Tiffany & Co.'' mark).

I guess I''m a little apprehensive about knowing where to start when it comes to getting it commisioned and knowing who to trust. I''m also concerned that it will be everything I''m expecting it to be and having to buy it without seeing it first. (I''m afraid I have try (or in this case see) before you buy approach ingrained in my head and it''s a hard approach to shake off!). Do I have any comeback if I''m not 100% happy with a custom ring?

I do travel to the US every 6-8 weeks and so next time I''m out there (2nd Jan) I''ll make some enquiries - I have no idea on the various state taxes so I''ll check that out too but Houston/NOLA are the two places I normally visit on work although I could detour to New York to check rings out easily enough. (also an option for Tiffany and one which I''m considering)

Thanks for listing these out it certainly gives food for thought.

I have seen enough macro photos from PS vendors to know that the quality of metalwork is usually very high - check out the various "show me the ring" threads. Also, customer service is of a very high standard, and people will go out of their way to set things right / the way the customer wants them. I think the trick is communicating clearly and continously your expectations/wishes without becoming a total pain in the neck...

I take the point that a perfect replica of a Tiffany setting may not be available (though I think it's more out of respect or fear than lack of skill/technical difficulty); having said that, I'd have a Leon Megé setting over a Tiffany any day...
31.gif

Re: ultimate comebacks: I think you won't have a problem returning the stone for full credit; more difficult with the setting itself, but that's assuming the setting is so far from your expectations that you'll want to return it.

On the subject of Sales taxes, New York City is one of the highest (I think) at 8 3/8% - more info here: http://www.thestc.com/STrates.stm

Bear in mind that on returning to the UK you ought to declare the ring, pay import duty (2-4% since it's from outside the EU) and VAT on it.

Date: 12/7/2008 4:57:12 PM

Bear in mind that on returning to the UK you ought to declare the ring, pay import duty (2-4% since it''s from outside the EU) and VAT on it.

huh. You gotta be kidding me. You suggested he buy the ring in the US to save money and now you point out that he should be paying taxes on it after he buys in it in the US???
20.gif

I say get the Tiffany ring. Be sure to buy an ideal scope to help determine if the diamond is well cut:

http://www.ideal-scope.com/cart_zoom_item.asp?Id=2&ShowAdd=Y

100% Tiffanys!!!! Design is a very special thing imo and if you are crazy about a specific design, it is never worth copying it. I also like how (from what I have seen) Tiffanys diamonds lean more to fire than brilliance.

Thanks for all the replies.
I have plenty of time so I''m going to setup to view some at Tiffany''s and also take a look around Hatton Garden. I''m not sure about buying in the States as I don''t want to rush a decision so that I can buy it there and then and I want to view the stone in person before parting with my cash. A few months ago it would have saved me a lot of money but it''s nowhere near as much and gets written off if customs charges & VAT get applied.

It''s a slighlty wierd decision for me as my head knows that going custom represents better value, but also requires a leap of faith to a certain extent. However, I just want to get the ring that is right for my SO and that may well be the Tiffany despite the fact that I''m paying a premium for it. So long as it remains within my budget I believe the decision should be based on the right ring rather than on cost.

Hi CRB82,

I am in EXACTLY the same boat as you.... I kid you not.
My GF loves exactly the same Channel-set Tiffany ring.
Unfortunately, as I have found out recently..... Tiffany simply do NOT have the sheer quantity and quality of stones available that I am interested in (well at least here in Australia anyway).
I have had the local store manager search all of Australia as well as Asia, and only ever had (in 2 months) the opportunity to see 1-2 rings that came close to my specifications. The remainder were low colour range (I'm after D-E), on hold, in transit to another country, already sold etc etc.
They DO NOT and will not swap out centre stones.... you buy the ring complete. You can't get a stone from one of the knife-edges mounted into the channel setting.... that is unfortunate.

Plus, the blue-box premium is absolutely ridiculous. In my somewhat limited experience ~25-30% more expensive. But, if you've got enough cash and can find the right stone - grab it!

I am currently in the process of getting an online vendor here in Australia to fabricate an "imitation" Tiffany platinum band with my choice of 0.92ct Ideal H&A round brilliant centre stone which should knock the socks off any Tiffany ring. (see my thread if interested)

Good luck in your search, and I'll keep you posted on my results (if you're interested) - hopefully by Xmas.

I would go for the Tiffany ring as well. You know she loves it and that''s all the matters, and you will be getting great quality

in response to a couple of posts:

You do pay a premium with a Tiffany ring but they are a well respected company with a well deserved reputation.
25.gif

Unfortunately for Tiffany UK they will be cheaper in the US because the tax tends to be lower and people don''t declare them at customs (although supposed to!).

I''ve never seen a customer use an idealscope in the store, I''m sure there wouldn''t be a problem (why would there) but I''ve just never seen it!

To find out the cut we can print off a rough copy of the diamond certificate for you within a matter of minutes and you can see the angles etc and precision of cut etc...

And just on a sizing issue - if resizing the channel set up or down more than 1-1.5 sizes it may have to be custom made in NY anyway, but obviously that wont enter the equation if her ring size is 5-7.

Nothing wrong with going with a Tiffany ring! hehe

Date: 12/7/2008 6:30:32 PM
Author: MC

Bear in mind that on returning to the UK you ought to declare the ring, pay import duty (2-4% since it''s from outside the EU) and VAT on it.

huh. You gotta be kidding me. You suggested he buy the ring in the US to save money and now you point out that he should be paying taxes on it after he buys in it in the US???
20.gif

I say get the Tiffany ring. Be sure to buy an ideal scope to help determine if the diamond is well cut:

On the other hand, are you suggesting that he should evade taxes? And how is that argument relevant to the Tiffany or custom choice?

Regardless of whether he does "the right thing" and pays customs duty and VAT or not, buying new jewellery in the US is still considerably cheaper than in the UK. And that is true for Tiffany or Joe''s Jewellery around the corner.

Well I shot Tiffany''s an email and this is what they currently have in stock which also gives an indication to any others looking on their prices (these are in GBP):

In the round brilliant square cut channel set we have available:
Carat .39 Colour E, Clarity IF Price 3,950
'''' .50 '''' D, '''' VS2 Price 4,850
'''' '''' .68 '''' '''' I '''' '''' VS2 Price 4,150
'''' '''' .45 '''' '''' F '''' '''' VS1 Price 3,850

I never realised colour would add so much to the cost compared to clarity which it would appear to from the prices above - the 0.5 carat stone is VS2 same as the 0.68 stone and yet is £700 dearer - the only difference being colour and added on top of that the fact that the 0.5 stone is 0.18 carats smaller!!

I haven''t requested the depth, table, crown and pavillion angles yet but will do and think I''m also going to try and check these out in person to see in this setting whether I can see any of the differences in colour etc.

Thanks for all your help and replies. Our trip to NYC is now booked for early July so I have until then to source the perfect ring for her - plenty of time to check out all the options and no need to rush into anything.

I may be too late, but I''d go for the Tiffany ring. You know she likes the design and the size stone she likes is affordable for you.

Of those listed I''d pick the .68 I assuming it was a good cut. Do you know how serious she was about not going over .5 carat? Very few women complain about getting too large a ring!

Date: 12/7/2008 6:30:32 PM
Author: MC

20.gif

If he wants to be able to insure it and legally enter the country, he''ll need to pay VAT. Even with the tax added at customs, he''ll still save money by purchasing in the US.

Date: 12/13/2008 10:27:23 AM
Author: Addy
I may be too late, but I''d go for the Tiffany ring. You know she likes the design and the size stone she likes is affordable for you.

Of those listed I''d pick the .68 I assuming it was a good cut. Do you know how serious she was about not going over .5 carat? Very few women complain about getting too large a ring!
Thanks for the reply Addy. I know for a fact that she saw a 0.75 carat version of the ring along with a 0.3 carat and a 0.5 carat and didn''t like the 0.75 carat version anywhere near as much as the other two. I spoke to her best friend who was with her at the time who said that she seemed to suprise herself with this revelation! (and me if I''m honest but it definitely opens up a whole load of options for her ring as a result)
So, I obviously want to get something that she''d love which probably means closer to 0.5 carats. I think the primary reason for this would be the width of the band as she has small fingers and doesn''t where big jewelery. I think I need to see if they have one of 0.75 carat so I can compare against that.

I actually like the sound of the 0.45 VS1, F.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP