shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany or custom?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Date: 12/13/2008 10:29:58 AM
Author: gwendolyn

Date: 12/7/2008 6:30:32 PM
Author: MC

Date: 12/7/2008 4:57:12 PM

Author: oldmancoyote

Bear in mind that on returning to the UK you ought to declare the ring, pay import duty (2-4% since it''s from outside the EU) and VAT on it.

huh. You gotta be kidding me. You suggested he buy the ring in the US to save money and now you point out that he should be paying taxes on it after he buys in it in the US???
20.gif

I say get the Tiffany ring. Be sure to buy an ideal scope to help determine if the diamond is well cut:

http://www.ideal-scope.com/cart_zoom_item.asp?Id=2&ShowAdd=Y
If he wants to be able to insure it and legally enter the country, he''ll need to pay VAT. Even with the tax added at customs, he''ll still save money by purchasing in the US.
Unfortuntately I''d also have to pay customs duty too - I''m not sure how much this would be on a diamond but I''ve been stung before importing stuff from the US and been hit with a high (20%) customs charge PLUS VAT on all including shipping so I''d need to double check the amounts involved as at the current exchange rate it''s only worth doing if its 10% or below. I wouldn''t want to spend all my money and then get hit with a £1000+ customs/VAT bill so I wouldn''t be willing to spend that extra money due to the lower cost of buying in the states just save it.

You would get more value going custom but if she loves the Tiffany and you can afford it Go for it!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP