carat
color
clarity

Tiny alexandrite--certification?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all,
I'm contemplating buying a small (under .2ct) alexandrite from a well known vendor on these boards (multicoulor). It's small but mighty, which I love. As with Alex in general, it's expensive for the size (in the 500-1000 range). That said, is it worth paying the extra $100 to get it certified? And if so, is GIA sufficient or would folks go with AIGS?

I've never bought natural Alex before so this is new to me.

Thanks!

ShinyPink

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do you want the cert to verify it's an alexandrite or...? I didn't get one for the alex I bought from Yvonne since I trust her and I have no desire to resell it. I figure it's a waste of money in certain circumstances.

Bigger question: how's little pumpkin doing?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you want the cert to verify it's an alexandrite or...? I didn't get one for the alex I bought from Yvonne since I trust her and I have no desire to resell it. I figure it's a waste of money in certain circumstances.

Bigger question: how's little pumpkin doing?

Good point. I trust it's natural given the source. I guess it would be more for peace of mind.

She's doing well. I'm still worried about her all the time, but some of that is likely normal

I agree with @PinkAndBlueBling... if it were coming from a trusted vendor, I probably wouldn't bother to confirm it's natural alex in that size. But if you're looking for confirmation of something else (origin, treatments, etc.), then I might consider it. Alex is rarely treated, but it can be heated or clarity enhanced. And yes, how is the wee babe?!

What about a gem brief from AGL? Cheaper than GIA. Alx is so replicated I tend to want to verify it.

Unfortunately, AGL's prices have surpassed GIA for many, if not all, services. :confused2: OP can have this gem tested at GIA for $70 and AGL for $80 (composition and treatment only, no origin for either).

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, AGL's prices have surpassed GIA for many, if not all, services. :confused2: OP can have this gem tested at GIA for $70 and AGL for $80 (composition and treatment only, no origin for either).

Yeah, they're asking 100+ for either cert, which likely isn't worth it given the size and price, etc.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The value vs report cost is for me close to the line but that alex is so often faked makes me lean towards getting one.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I'd probably get the report just to not second-guess myself.

Happy for the good report but you probably need to worry about WeeBabe/Little Pumpkin/TatorTot forever, given her unusual name.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At that size and price-point, I would not be inclined to get a report. And I would trust David, although I have not bought from him for many years (way pre-Covid).

Voodoo Child

Shiny_Rock
Get the report for peace of mind. That way you can focus on enjoying your stone =)2

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At that size and price-point, I would not be inclined to get a report. And I would trust David, although I have not bought from him for many years (way pre-Covid).

Yeah, that's kind of my thought. He is known to be trustworthy, so in some ways a report doesn't seem needed. I rechecked and the stone is actually ~.25, but obviously that's still insanely small and likely not worth the 100$ to certify.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi again,
Trying to decide how much I'm willing to spend on such a small stone. Right now there are 3 options. Please don't out the vendor if you know who it is.

Most expensive:
Screenshot_20240722_083834_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20240722_083837_Chrome.jpg

This stone (oval, ignore the background stones)
Screenshot_20240722_083824_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20240722_083827_Chrome.jpg

And finally, this one (I don't mind tje inclusion, I actually like it).

Screenshot_20240722_083806_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20240722_083811_Chrome.jpg

Options 2 and 3 are the same price. Option 1 is 2x the price of the others, so I'm trying to figure out if it's 2x *better* than the others. Thoughts?

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Option 1 is 2x the price of the others

Well I can certainly see why that is.

I saw option 1 and thought, oh, this actually looks pretty nice, then I got to option 2 and thought, well, that's definitely not as nice, and when I reached option 3, I was all oh dear god no because I hate windows with a fiery passion and this stone is one huge window.

But then again, you said you were looking at something pretty small, so maybe the window only looks so big in the enlarged photos?

Between 2 and 3 I would usually prefer the oval for the smaller window. It's a bit difficult to judge and I might be wrong, but maybe 3 has a tad bit better daylight colour? In any case, if budget wasn't an issue, based on the photos alone I'd go with the first one, the colour is just so much nicer.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I saw option 1 and thought, oh, this actually looks pretty nice, then I got to option 2 and thought, well, that's definitely not as nice, and when I reached option 3, I was all oh dear god no because I hate windows with a fiery passion and this stone is one huge window.

But then again, you said you were looking at something pretty small, so maybe the window only looks so big in the enlarged photos?

Between 2 and 3 I would usually prefer the oval for the smaller window. It's a bit difficult to judge and I might be wrong, but maybe 3 has a tad bit better daylight colour? In any case, if budget wasn't an issue, based on the photos alone I'd go with the first one, the colour is just so much nicer.

Yeah makes sense. Thanks!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I should add that all of these are small (under 4mm), so I'm guessing the window won't be hige IRL. But it's definitely there and visible, unfortunately

dvj

Shiny_Rock
Hi again,
Trying to decide how much I'm willing to spend on such a small stone. Right now there are 3 options. Please don't out the vendor if you know who it is.

Most expensive:

This stone (oval, ignore the background stones)
Screenshot_20240722_083824_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20240722_083827_Chrome.jpg

And finally, this one (I don't mind tje inclusion, I actually like it).

Screenshot_20240722_083806_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20240722_083811_Chrome.jpg

Options 2 and 3 are the same price. Option 1 is 2x the price of the others, so I'm trying to figure out if it's 2x *better* than the others. Thoughts?

I vote for option one. Besides the color it’s a cool cut.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, last option.

Another square cut, with small inclusions that don't bother me. 100 less than the other square cut, and essentially the same size. I think might like the cut better on the new one.

New option:

Screenshot_20240722_135339_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20240722_135344_Chrome.jpg

Original option 1:

newtojewels

Brilliant_Rock
What's your plan for the stone? Is it something where the shape matters?

If the inclusions wouldn't bother you, I like the cut of the new one best but I think I prefer the color change of #1, assuming comparable lighting.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's your plan for the stone? Is it something where the shape matters?

If the inclusions wouldn't bother you, I like the cut of the new one best but I think I prefer the color change of #1, assuming comparable lighting.

No, shape won't matter. Planning a 2 stone "cuff"/toi et moi ring

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
I like the cut on the latest option better, too. Makes the stone brighter, livelier.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I like the cut on the newest option.

empliau

Shiny_Rock
I know nothing of cuts, but the new stone is lovely.

I'm always a bit interested in alexandrite, because i am a June baby, and I had in childhood what we called my baby necklace - a gift from my godfather, a very fine gold chain (it was constantly in knots) with what was supposed to be an oval alexandrite set in filagree. In the 1960s I suppose putting necklaces on small children wasn't the safety no-no it is now. Anyway, the baby necklace vanished long ago, but now I kind of wonder if it was really alexandrite. Given how tiny the necklace must have been, maybe?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like both square options you posted. For a cuff in a bezel the lighter tones one might be better.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How much is the last option vs option 1

I like those two best and would opt for the cheaper one!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like having lab reports for my gems. I like having a document showing what I “officially” have and I find the details like the assigned color and the exact measurements gratifying to know. So I think it’s ok to get a report just because you want it. It doesn’t have to make sense.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
What’s the other gem gonna be? Your birth stone?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results