shape
carat
color
clarity

Umbalite garnet question

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
Are umbalite garnets typically less dark than "regular" garnet? I've seen a lot of garnets that look so dark it's hard to see them sparkle unless they are in direct sunlight.

I'd say yes, Umba Valley garnets (Malaya types) tend to be lighter in tone. Like anything else, there will be a scale... I've seen dark bodied material from TZ too. So I would evaluate each stone individually. Did you have one in mind you can share?

ShinyPink

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Mine has more pinky-purple in it, instead of the reds.
Here's a good answer from Gene from an old thread:

An Umbalite garnet is essentially a rhodolite garnet, the refractive index and other properties are the same. An Umbalite garnet got it’s name from the source of the Umba valley, and to be called Umbalite, they are a lighter more pink color than the typical rhodolite. Rhodolite are a mix of Pyrope and Almandine garnets. There is also another garnet called Umba garnet that is different than rhodolite, but also comes from East Africa. These Umba stones are more red with some orange. From your pictures, the stone you are calling an Umbalite, looks more like an Umba garnet to me.
East Africa is rich in garnets, with so many mixes of types, that names often come from the locations they are found. Most of the garnets from this region are a mix of Pyrope, Grossular, Almandine and Spessartite. There is a lot of debate on the proper names for these and how to classify them. There is a whole book devoted to naming garnets by W. Hanneman Phd called “Naming Gem Garnets”.

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
Oh that's lovely... and Daniel is so nice to work with. I might email him and ask about the tone. My guess would be medium-dark in person (6). He'll give it to your straight. The color and cut are incredible!!

Who is Daniel?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results