shape
carat
color
clarity

Unable to verify inscription because of clarity ?

Zoodust

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone. This is my first post, so thank you for reading and helping.
I’m planning on proposing to my girlfriend in the near future and have been looking for rings. I found two natural diamond online at RareCarat. This is kind of a scary purchase being that it’s online, though many have assured me they are legit and their customer service seems excellent. My question is this. I have found two different beautiful Flawless Natural Diamonds. After asking for more information and wanting the vendor that is dealing with RareCarat to send over the GIA inscription they responded that they are not able to due the clarity. This doesn’t seem right. The folks at rarecarat assured me that once it reaches them they will do their own check and verification and if they can’t find it either I get money back. Thoughts ?
Thank you

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, something about that explanation doesn’t ring true to me. I assume you have seen the GIA cert? Are the stones really graded as internally flawless? No matter though - the inscription is on the girdle of the stone and it should be visible through magnification. I would also want some images of the diamond. If they can’t assure you of what you would be purchasing, I would not be sending money.

1955FL

Rough_Rock
Maybe they thought you meant inclusion not inscription?

Zoodust

Rough_Rock
The stone was actually graded as Flawless. Clarity is an E. And yes I’ve seen the cert and even called GIA and verified it is a real number. Just the vendor can’t find the number

1955FL

Rough_Rock
Not sure what we can do to help. Have you considered a different vendor?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone was actually graded as Flawless. Clarity is an E. And yes I’ve seen the cert and even called GIA and verified it is a real number. Just the vendor can’t find the number

So the vendor is saying they can't find the inscription on the stone, due to the stones clarity? For a IF stone? That doesn't make sense. Does the cert say that the stone is inscribed? All stones are not. Can you post the certificate?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
You don’t need to worry about these things with a reputable online vendor. You are creating stress you don’t have to worry about. If RareCarat says they will check the inscription once they receive the diamond and you have a lab report, and you pay with a credit card so you have added buyer protection, then none of this is a concern. Any local jeweller will also be able to confirm that the inscription matches the lab report.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
In other news, is there a reason you chose flawless clarity? It is overkill unless you have a personal love of perfection or something. And do you have pictures of the diamond? You cannot buy fancies based on the numbers. It could be ugly.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
So the vendor is saying they can't find the inscription on the stone, due to the stones clarity? For a IF stone? That doesn't make sense. Does the cert say that the stone is inscribed? All stones are not. Can you post the certificate?

Sounds like the distributor told the vendor something who told OP something and lines got crossed. I’m guessing they meant they cannot verify the diamond matches the report based on inclusions but who knows. We are playing telephone here.

Zoodust

Rough_Rock
Also I had called GIA today and they confirmed there should be a number on it. But your post does clear a lot of worry. I’m not opposed to IF clarity. This particular diamond just was at a great. And no have not seen actual photo

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Being FL they could not want to unwrap it and handle it.
An FL stone becomes IF if you look at it to hard without even touching it is an industry saying.

1955FL

Rough_Rock
Being FL they could not want to unwrap it and handle it.
An FL stone becomes IF if you look at it to hard without even touching it is an industry saying.

As silly as that sounds, you are probably spot on!

I purchased my FL a few weeks ago and I didn’t understand why everyone tried to steer me away from purchasing a flawless diamond. My jeweler found me VS1 G color 3EX brilliant round. I searched the GIA number and found it only had a cut score of 6.7/10 on another site. When I found the FL for the same price, my jeweler and his vendor said I was better than them finding diamonds, the FL had a 9.1/10 cutscore.

Long story short, they said the FL would have to be paid in full unlike the VS1 since it is flawless. I think Karl_K is absolutely correct here, they don’t even want to touch the FL due to liability.

Now I’m concerned about my FL because I had it put on a temporary setting which means it will have to be re-set after my proposal and likely become IF? My jeweler has reassured me it won’t scratch from being set and I suppose I’ll never really know.

Zoodust

Rough_Rock
that’s interesting if that’s case. If that is true, I wish the dealer would have said that rather than saying it’s because of a clarity issue

1955FL

Rough_Rock

Just to be clear, I think you mean the clarity is flawless and the color is E.

Maybe that’s why some words got confused, due to the clarity being FL, they could not handle the diamond due to liability.

Zoodust

Rough_Rock
Excuse me yes that is correct. This may be the case then

1955FL

Rough_Rock
Excuse me yes that is correct. This may be the case then

Congrats on your purchase and best of luck to you on your proposal! Keep us updated when the diamond arrives safe and sound!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also I had called GIA today and they confirmed there should be a number on it. But your post does clear a lot of worry. I’m not opposed to IF clarity. This particular diamond just was at a great. And no have not seen actual photo

So you have not seen a photo of the diamond or the certificate?

1955FL

Rough_Rock

He’s seen the certificate and I assume he bought the diamond since it’s off-market.

The table and depth look within range but the girdle is medium to very thick. At least it’s less susceptible to chipping.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I really hope OP has seen a pic or video of the diamond and isn't buying blind!

OP: they likely meant they don't want to touch or mess with an IF stone (as said above). As long as rare caret plans to verify you'll be fine

Zoodust

Rough_Rock
So I’ve seen the online cert. But have not actually seen video or pictures of it. Though rarecarat did in fact say they would send me pictures and video and inscription number when it got to them before it is set. If something is wrong or missing they said they will refund. I have it on hold as of now

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So if you don't like the photos and videos can you reject the stone?

Zoodust

Rough_Rock
I didn’t ask about the photo or video specifically, just the inscription verification. But I’ll double check that. I imagine that if it wasn’t up to standard they would return.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes, verify that. you can't judge fancy cut stones by dimensions. You really need to see them.

Zoodust

Rough_Rock
I agree. Y’all think it’s a green light then to officially order ?

1955FL

Rough_Rock
I agree. Y’all think it’s a green light then to officially order ?

I'd ask for different angles to make sure the bow-tie effect isn't too large or dark.

Zoodust

Rough_Rock
Exactly. You CANNOT choose a fancy shape by numbers alone

Correct. Once it gets to rarecart all of those angels can be requested when they do their inspection

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too would never order a diamond I could not see. Words are cheap - images are important!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results