shape
carat
color
clarity

Unique, interesting, or just plain odd stones...Post them here!

All right… something to offer in exchange for the serious question…

55 table 93.7 depth

IMG_0071.jpegIMG_0068.jpegIMG_0069.jpeg

It is kinda interesting that from the side view of the stone you can easily picture what the original rough diamond looked like (octahedron crystal).

This round modified looked really fiery in the video.

IMG_0271.jpeg

Extremely long lower girdle facets - the opposite of an old mine cut. This means the lower girdle facets make up around 905 of the pavilion. Combined in this case with the slightly deep pavilion - so there is a lot of leakage - light is entering the pavilion in the video setup is exiting as fire. Once set this would not happen.

Extremely long lower girdle facets - the opposite of an old mine cut. This means the lower girdle facets make up around 905 of the pavilion. Combined in this case with the slightly deep pavilion - so there is a lot of leakage - light is entering the pavilion in the video setup is exiting as fire. Once set this would not happen.

Thought it might leak a bunch of light. :(

Link to video @oncrutchesrightnow ...would love to see!

Wow! That color! So how many carats is this @Serg ?

So, I'm curious...when rough doesn't come in the standard octahedron shape what causes that? Is this part of an octahedron
that has broken apart? Or, Did this shape just form this way? If so, what causes it to form in other shapes besides an
octahedron? Is it possibly the other elements in the diamond? Any insight would be appreciated!

So, I'm curious...when rough doesn't come in the standard octahedron shape what causes that? Is this part of an octahedron
that has broken apart? Or, Did this shape just form this way? If so, what causes it to form in other shapes besides an
octahedron? Is it possibly the other elements in the diamond? Any insight would be appreciated!

5.50 ct/ Did you open the link with the movies? it has information about ,mass
The shape of a diamond depends on the conditions in which it grew, as well as the extent to which these conditions were isotropic in different directions. The final form is a result of growth and dissolution processes. An ideal octahedron could have initially grown and then partially dissolved, with greater dissolution in certain areas and lesser dissolution in others.

I did open the video but totally missed the carat weight and now I see it in your link too!

Thanks for the explanation of growth and what can take place. All very interesting!

The other growth features to add to Sergey's accurate description is it is thought some diamonds, especially type II can grow very quickly (relatively speaking) and the shape depends on the available feed of carbon and any physical constraints.
You can see trigons - raised triangular features. They are associated with crystal growth and can be also negative etch features. They only form on octahedral faces but in the other orientation. Cutters can use them to ID crystal structure and the various hardness directions.
Here is an old but accurate article https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs...been studied and,supposed to arise in defects.

A 12 main! Interesting!

Don’t think this is one of those fancy asscher cuts but it is interesting and has a 57 table, if someone is interested.

IMG_2427.jpeg

I know fancy colored diamonds are cut for color, and I don’t have the best eye for judging cuts. But this just looks like a hot mess to me.

But is sold! Someone must like it! Wonder what it went for? Maybe it wasnt too bad and someone bought it for the opportunity
to own a green diamond.

But is sold! Someone must like it! Wonder what it went for? Maybe it wasnt too bad and someone bought it for the opportunity
to own a green diamond.

That's my guess

I know fancy colored diamonds are cut for color, and I don’t have the best eye for judging cuts. But this just looks like a hot mess to me.

I actually like the weird facets! LOL To each her own.

I know! I idly clicked on that link in @m-cubed's post -- maybe 20 min after that post -- and it was gone!

You'd think they'd wait for the global Black Friday BOGO on FCDs :cool2:

I like the regular ongoing discount on anything with the word “brown.”

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP