shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Vintage Marquise Diamond Ring

What does that terminology mean? 8 main?
Just like an RB has 8 mains, some (most) marquise have 8 mains (there are also 6 main and 4 main marquise).
There are 2 different types of 8 main faceting patterns in marquise. The first one below is the most common type.

8 mains split at the center can cause the dark bow-tie effect...
8 main split.png

Here is the faceting pattern for an 8 main going straight through the center. You dont get the bow-tie effect however, if the arrows
are too wide and stay dark for too long they may cause dark arrows through the center (but not in a bow-tie shape). This facetin
pattern is not as common.
8 main marquise.png

@Paisley2628 Super lovely-congrats! Does it have an open culet?

Thank you!
When I look with my loupe, it is pretty much a pinpoint center- so I would not say open.
I took the ring to two antique/vintage jewelers. They both said the diamond/ring is from the 1940's-1950's.

Thank you!
When I look with my loupe, it is pretty much a pinpoint center- so I would not say open.
I took the ring to two antique/vintage jewelers. They both said the diamond/ring is from the 1940's-1950's.

I was going to guess that time period! Based on the style of the setting and also stones from that era have a rather characteristic mix of splintery facets but some features of old cuts too, like culets and smaller tables (in rounds).

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP