shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think about this stone for an engagement ring? PLEASE HELP

Thanks - re uploaded it there which is hopefully clearer!

Working with an in person vendor but I will not be able to view it in person myself.

I don't love it. How much are they asking?

FYI, the GIA cert number isn't fully scratched out, you may want to edit your post and redo that. Can you take a clearer screenshot of the certificate? The numbers are hard to read. Are you working with an in-person vendor who can vet the stone or is this from a website purchasing sight-unseen?

Reuploaded! Thanks

there's something off about the cut, but I can't tell if maybe someone messed up the video and has it tilted. @Karl_K @DejaWiz can you tell if the stone is tilted or if it's really just cut sloppily?

Here's an alternative that looks significantly better cut to me. Same price, color, clarity. A tiny bit smaller but I honestly don't think you could tell the difference IRL.

For 10k most options that are ideal cut are either I color or 1.5ish ct range.

there's something off about the cut, but I can't tell if maybe someone messed up the video and has it tilted. @Karl_K @DejaWiz can you tell if the stone is tilted or if it's really just cut sloppily?
looking at the scope images I was like naw it cant be that bad then I looked at the video and it is that bad. Run away.

42.5% pavilion depth means "approach with caution and give it some careful assessment" - I agree with Karl: the pavilion facets are cut a bit sloppy and it appears to have some paddling going on around the perimeter of the crown. Probably a bit of a firecracker in intense direct lighting, but it's probably a one trick pony.

Thanks - appreciate all the help. I have put a deposit down on this before posting (i didn't know about this site ore deposit).

Do you think I could do better than this stone for 10k (including band) tax and delivery.?

42.5% pavilion depth means "approach with caution and give it some careful assessment" - I agree with Karl: the pavilion facets are cut a bit sloppy and it appears to have some paddling going on around the perimeter of the crown. Probably a bit of a firecracker in intense direct lighting, but it's probably a one trick pony.

Thanks - appreciate all the help. I have put a deposit down on this before posting (i didn't know about this site ore deposit).

Do you think I could do better than this stone for 10k (including band) tax and delivery.?

I'm not an expert, I'm actually the person who pointed you to this forum.

First, know that people here are very knowledgeable and very picky about their jewelry. At some point it's worth knowing what the most important characteristics are to you -- do you want to get the best possible diamond for the money? In what sense? Do you want to get something very good and support a local business? Do you have some size number you want to hit or are you open to something that looks almost like the same size but is whiter or sparklier? etc. If you share your priorities, people could help you decide what matches them.

For setting costs and a fair comparison, what kind of setting (band) are you currently looking at?

I'm not an expert, I'm actually the person who pointed you to this forum.

First, know that people here are very knowledgeable and very picky about their jewelry. At some point it's worth knowing what the most important characteristics are to you -- do you want to get the best possible diamond for the money? In what sense? Do you want to get something very good and support a local business? Do you have some size number you want to hit or are you open to something that looks almost like the same size but is whiter or sparklier? etc. If you share your priorities, people could help you decide what matches them.

For setting costs and a fair comparison, what kind of setting (band) are you currently looking at?

Thanks!!

Very upset that i could be in the hole here for alot of money on what might be a dud is this really that bad!?

Best possible stone for the money - open to slightly smaller - want the best sparkle!! Plain band setting

Thanks!!

Very upset that i could be in the hole here for alot of money on what might be a dud is this really that bad!?

Best possible stone for the money - open to slightly smaller - want the best sparkle!! Plain band setting

Are either of these diamonds a possibility?

There's not perfect and there's real duds. I'm not enough of an expert to say for sure but I feel like the one you put a deposit on must be better than 90+% of natural diamonds for cut given its good proportions -- and especially if import taxes are prohibitive. How much would your budget be in USD keeping those taxes in mind? Hopefully the people who know more can give this a rank to help you decide!

There's not perfect and there's real duds. I'm not enough of an expert to say for sure but I feel like the one you put a deposit on must be better than 90+% of natural diamonds for cut given its good proportions -- and especially if import taxes are prohibitive. How much would your budget be in USD keeping those taxes in mind? Hopefully the people who know more can give this a rank to help you decide!

Thanks!! Im praying for the “not perfect” side. grateful for anyone’s thoughts/views!!

Its 10k all in at this stage. Also thats assuming my deposit would be refunded.

Thanks!! Im praying for the “not perfect” side. grateful for anyone’s thoughts/views!!

Its 10k all in at this stage. Also thats assuming my deposit would be refunded.

What would the import taxes be? Are you in a place where it adds 5%? 25%? Is there a difference between importing a loose diamond versus a completed ring? I'm wondering what the functional budget would be if you were to purchase from somewhere like James Allen or 77diamonds because that gives a better idea of whether or not this is the best purchase for your money. If I'm understanding you correctly, assuming you had 10% tax then you would need to do better than $9,090 USD because you want to be under $10k in total.

There are better cut stones — more complimentary proportions, tighter more well aligned cut. There is some darkness between the arrows at the base and some over darkness at the tips of the arrows. The cut also doesn’t seem overall symmetric? It is weird as Karl said.

I think this is a fair assessment. It is not an absolute dog, most diamonds are not cut this well. There are better cuts though. Whether you want to hunt for them is another story.

Like I said above, I don't like it, but it's not a "dud". Do I think you can find better with more sparkle for 10k? Yes. But if you have a deposit down and import fees are an issue, your options might be limited. I'd give this a 6.5/10 maybe? It's not an immediate "oh god run away bc it will look like crap" situation.

Unfortunately - I am not based in the US so JA isn't really an option taking customs and taxes into account.

Where are you located? Asking so I can look at other sites that might take impirt fees into account (i think Blue Nile does that if you use your local currency, but not for every country, just a few). 77 diamonds wouldn't have import fees to the UK in case you live there

I think this is a fair assessment. It is not an absolute dog, most diamonds are not cut this well. There are better cuts though. Whether you want to hunt for them is another story.

Thanks for your input - so would it be fair to say this could still be a nice stone? But not a perfect stone? Like it wont be dull?

Like I said above, I don't like it, but it's not a "dud". Do I think you can find better with more sparkle for 10k? Yes. But if you have a deposit down and import fees are an issue, your options might be limited. I'd give this a 6.5/10 maybe? It's not an immediate "oh god run away bc it will look like crap" situation.

Thanks for your response!! Oh i thought i had done a whole lot better than 6.5. It had had decent proportions- great HCA score… gutted to hear this! Should i ask for some more photos or alternative stones theymay have?

Whats industry standard on refunds of a deposit if stone is ordered?

Vat and customs be 2800$ on a 10k stone (without band).

This is 9k and some change all in delivered.

Where are you located? Asking so I can look at other sites that might take impirt fees into account (i think Blue Nile does that if you use your local currency, but not for every country, just a few). 77 diamonds wouldn't have import fees to the UK in case you live there

Whats industry standard on refunds of a deposit if stone is ordered?

Vat and customs be 2800$ on a 10k stone (without band).

This is 9k and some change all in delivered.

What country are you in?

I don't think there's an industry standard on what to do with deposits, it depends on the jeweler and their terms.

So to beat this diamond you have the deposit on, we would need to find a stone for under $6.5-7k USD?

I don't think this is bad enough to consider walking a away and losing 2.8k personally. Will you get to see it in person and evaluate for yourself whether you are satisfied with the light play? I think it will sparkle. We have definitely seen worse. It could just sparkle much *more*.

If you can get a full refund I would personally consider trying to find something that is better cut, but that's me.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP