shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think about this stone for an engagement ring? PLEASE HELP

What country are you in?

I don't think there's an industry standard on what to do with deposits, it depends on the jeweler and their terms.

So to beat this diamond you have the deposit on, we would need to find a stone for under $6.5-7k USD?

No I would fly in to the US and collect- i wouldn't pay the 23% VAT and customs of 3%

to beat it this - would need to be 10.5/11k$ total cost in a plane gold band

I don't think this is bad enough to consider walking a away and losing 2.8k personally. Will you get to see it in person and evaluate for yourself whether you are satisfied with the light play? I think it will sparkle. We have definitely seen worse. It could just sparkle much *more*.

If you can get a full refund I would personally consider trying to find something that is better cut, but that's me.

I wont get to see this in person. What videos pictures would you ask for to see this best? Should i ask for an ASSET scope? Is this something most jewellers have?

Thanks - id be walking away from $2200.

$2800 is the taxes and imports for a 10k stone to my country.

There's no industry standard on what to do with deposits. Some jewelers will refund, but many won't, unfortunately

Are you definitely walking away from $2200 or is that still unknown? Could you use that money towards a wedding band or anything else if you don't go with the stone?

Are you definitely walking away from $2200 or is that still unknown? Could you use that money towards a wedding band or anything else if you don't go with the stone?

Not definitely but likely - they took the deposit to order the stone. They said they couldn't hold it otherwise and this was (what i thought in my inexperienced) opinion.

Where are you located? Asking so I can look at other sites that might take impirt fees into account (i think Blue Nile does that if you use your local currency, but not for every country, just a few). 77 diamonds wouldn't have import fees to the UK in case you live there

God - i am so annoyed at myself. I thought this was almost an ideal cut but i was really looking at numbers and not at the diamond itself.

I am based in Ireland.

This is coming from dubai.

I could theoretically fly to USA and collect but trip would cost 1000$ minimum

Since you're already committed with the deposit, then it may be financially best to let it ride, at this point.

You can always go with a true ideal cut human grown diamond at any time in the future for a daily/travel ring while your expensive earth grown diamond ring stays safe and secure between special occasions when it gets worn.
... PriceScope has a subforum dedicated to human grown diamonds and we would absolutely be willing to help you find a top-notch diamond.
(example would be getting pinnacle optical performance such as this: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-di...-vvs2-clarity-round-ideal-cut-lab-sku-p291235 )

Since you're already committed with the deposit, then it may be financially best to let it ride, at this point.

You can always go with a true ideal cut human grown diamond at any time in the future for a daily/travel ring while your expensive earth grown diamond ring stays safe and secure between special occasions when it gets worn.
... PriceScope has a subforum dedicated to human grown diamonds and we would absolutely be willing to help you find a top-notch diamond.
(example would be getting pinnacle optical performance such as this: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-di...-vvs2-clarity-round-ideal-cut-lab-sku-p291235 )

Thanks.

Maybe ill upgrade the stone for a big anniversary. Ill remember to get expert advice here beforehand.

Don’t beat yourself up! You made good choices and narrowed the field down to the top 10% of cuts. You did good there! And you are in a country where it is relatively challenging to find large well cut stones. I think all else being equal I might stick with what you chose and be satisfied.

We are looking for top 1% around these parts. I suspect when you see it you will be like “whoa! So sparkly! What were those internet weirdos talking about??” Lol

Don’t beat yourself up! You made good choices and narrowed the field down to the top 10% of cuts. You did good there! And you are in a country where it is relatively challenging to find large well cut stones. I think all else being equal I might stick with what you chose and be satisfied.

We are looking for top 1% around these parts. I suspect when you see it you will be like “whoa! So sparkly! What were those internet weirdos talking about??” Lol

This has made me feel so much friggin better! Thank you.

I hope she likes it!!!

There are some real experts on this forum. I'm not one of them, I couldn't distinguish between the top 10 % and those in the very top .05%. It sounds like you have a lovely stone with unusual attributes ony noticeable to a compete expert. You'll probably never sit next to someone who has one of those .05 % diamonds. I hope you love yours.

The price you must pay us trolls under the bridge for our help is pictures of the diamond !

I an hoping to get some pictures of it this week under “normal light”. I will post them here. If its terrible i can always ask to change to something else they have in stock. This was on paper the best they had anyway.

There are some real experts on this forum. I'm not one of them, I couldn't distinguish between the top 10 % and those in the very top .05%. It sounds like you have a lovely stone with unusual attributes ony noticeable to a compete expert. You'll probably never sit next to someone who has one of those .05 % diamonds. I hope you love yours.

Thank you so much! i had got to a stage where i was expecting a piece of coal to arrive!

Like all nervous men- I over analysed! We live and learn but hopefully this will be a decent one to start with! And if not, it can be a necklace after a big anniversary

Well, given they are asking what you think - maybe there is a chance you can get the deposit back and retry ?

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP