shape
carat
color
clarity

What other rare stones are out there for an engagement rings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Pink Sapphire ring

00186_1.jpg

Now thats pricey!!!!!

Date: 1/6/2005 12
6.gif
6:29 AM
Author: raddygast
I would like to say one thing that I have experienced personally in my search for a non-diamond engagement stone.

Spinels are not cheap.

Well, of course they are cheap compared to diamonds. And yes, they are cheap when looking at ''comparable rubies.'' I think those are both true statements that I sensed from the outset. What I did not know was just how damn expensive a ''comparable ruby'' could actually get. Do you know... a truly amazing ruby can cost much more per carat than a very good quality diamond?

But the more research I did, the more I felt that these gems justify their price. They are truly rare. Ruby has a somewhat easier time due to all the historical mystique associated with it over the years in various cultures (same with emeralds and to a lesser extent sapphire).

Spinel, historically, has been both an accidental ruby-impostor and a ruby substitute. They are so similar in terms of their look and where they are found (in many of the same deposits) and indeed in chemical structure that they have been mistaken for awesome rubies for centuries.

But here''s the problem. The ruby market has been mutated by the existence of treatments that effect two changes in the public''s perception:

1) People think that a truly beautiful ''red-red-red'' stone is the only way to go, whereas in the past you didn''t expect to possibly afford one unless you were an oil tycoon or royalty.

2) People now have unfair expectations of other red stones (like spinel).

The fact is, a LOT of ruby is being churned out that would look absolutely horrible (murky, purplish-bluish core) in the market if left untreated, but *with* treatment, is perfectly saleable and in many cases highly beautiful and desirable. But with spinel, this just isn''t possible.

For spinel, what you see is what you get out of the ground. So I will give you two pieces of advice:

1) Try to appreciate the beauty of a spinel independently of what you would expect of a ruby

2) If you truly want a super-duper-red spinel of crazy vivid saturation, please expect to pay a lot.

Yeah, it won''t cost you as much as an equivalent ruby. But an ''equivalent'' ruby (a.k.a. with the same amazing color parameters, clarity, and natural untreated origin) could cost something like $75,000 depending on your taste. Even if a spinel cost 1/10th of that, it isn''t free!

True (beautiful) red spinels often (and maybe even typically) cost more per carat than your basic high quality treated blue sapphire. The absolutely top fine red spinels may even cost more than an untreated blue sapphire (but never more than the equivalent ruby).

That said, spinel has so much ''underdog'' mystique associated with it that I never gave up hope in my own search. I love the idea of a truly untreated gem that looks so awesome and is so rare in its own right that you might even say that it is rarer than ruby (certainly rarer than treated ruby).

Hello Raddygast,
For a guy who few months ago has nealry no knowledge about gems, I''ve to say that I''m very impressed with your last post.
I''m very happy to see that if you dont have yet found your stone, you have already understood a lot about them...
As Richard Hugues use to say: "The price of wisdom is beyond rubies (job 28:18)
I hope that you will find your stone soon...

Regarding to the original subject I think that for an engagement ring durability is an important factor, but appearance is also somthing to be considered. I think that you have to think carefully about the following question:
What do you expect from this ring? Do you want something to please you or your wife? Or do you want something to show off (and make other jealous?..)
In fact will you buy this stone "for you" or "to receive comments from others"
If you buy the stone to show off. Then choose a spectacular gem, with a name that everybody know. Diamond is the typical choice. But Ruby and sapphire could also be wise... Now if you choose something that looks like a diamond people might think that you have bought some cheap stuff because you did not wanted to put the money to get a real diamond. You will not care about that if you buy the stone for you, because you know that for example your stone is more rare and more unique than a basic diamond... as your love is also something rare and unique.
Many things are possible: You can get a stone carved, you can add some laser inscription inside the gem or more... to make it more personal and unique. Your imagination and the one of your loved one are the only limit.
Whatever you just have to think about the reasons that push you to spend some money in a stone... then the stone choice will be more easy.

All the best,

That is well spoken and well thought out. I am not one who is worried about what other people think. It is my focus to put something on "her" finger as rare as the meaning of our love. Realizing that, I know what I want to do now.... And yes it involoves a spinel...

Not that you can compare love to a stone.....
30.gif

Drag, you asked earlier about purchasing spinel. If none of the vendors here have contacted you, you can find in the member directory, DiamondExpert, Spinel, Wink Jones for starters. Richard Homer can be contacted through Wink or even a jeweler in your area if you choose to go that route. I used a local jeweler to source my stone. It took about 7 months for me to find the type of red I was looking for so don''t be discouraged if you have to look at a lot of stones before you find The One.

Michael:

It sounds like you''ve decided...Spinel! Great!!

If I were you, I''d find a dealer I was comfortable with...already suggested: Wink Jones and Diamondexpert.com, I''d add Richard at Cherrypicked or Robert at preciousgemstones.com... and let one of them do the searching for the perfect stone that fits your budget.

Hopefully, time isn''t too much of an issue...

Good luck!
widget

The only issue with time is all of this is a surprise for "her" and I will have a hard time being patient.

Well, then, get on out there and have some fun......woop woop

SPI-00141-s.jpg

3 woops

opps, 3 woops

SPI-00017-s.jpg

Another thought: Check out www.palagems.com if you haven''t already...zillions of choices...

They''re wholesalers, so if you see something you''re interested in,
you would have your jeweler call it it for you.

Here''s a princess cut spinel. It''s not very big, but oh, my!!
18.gif

widget

3532.jpg

I am stil shopping for a good jeweler... noone good around here.... If someone had one ready to go I probably would drive 1/2 way across the country to check it out!

I second Richard Orbach from Cherrypicked.com

But also as mentioned - Palagems is fun to look at (even though they don't sell direct) Look at this one!

According to Palagems the items listed on their site can be found (and you can get a price) from the following places in Indiana.

Reis-Nichols
3535 E. 86th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46240
USA
317-255-4467
www.reisnichols.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Haas Jewelers
3111 Blackiston Mill Rd.
New Albany, IN 47150
USA
812-945-5996

Marcus Jewelers, Inc.
2014 45th St.
Highland, IN 46322-2388
USA
219-924-8080

Aaland Gem Co., Inc.
1000 E 80th Pl.
Merrillville, IN 46410
USA
219-769-4492
www.aalandgem.com

G. Thrapp Jewelers
5609 N. Illinois St.
Indianapolis, IN 46208-1554
USA
317-255-5555

J.C. Sipe
3000 E. 96th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46240
USA
317-848-0215
www.jcsipe.com

You can also use any of the internet vendors listed on this site (or at least most of them) to get price quotes from pala. For example, diamondexpert.com, winkjones.com, diamond brokers of florida (dbof.com), etc.

Pala has great stuff. Do not hesitate to contact them DIRECTLY though, regarding particular stones. They will give you more information if you ask for it -- the only thing you need to work with a vendor for is actually obtaining a price quote and sourcing the stone for viewing.

Great, some more avenues to look down... It is all so helpful...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP