shape
carat
color
clarity

When writing or replying to someone via e-mail...

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Here's a related question:

How do you start an IM conversation? My company is casual and works almost completely via instant message and email (I'm not kidding when I say nobody I know ever checks voicemail, no matter how long that light is blinking).

What's the best way to start those conversations?

I usually start with "hi" or "hey" in case the person is in a meeting and can't talk (since most don't bother signing in and out and are always listed as available)

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1304568250|2912724 said:
I usually just start like

Sally:

unless I'm writing someone I've never met, in which case (in a business setting) I'll start a bi more formally, as in

Ms. Pricescope:

increasingly though the emails I'm getting from colleagues, and especially from superiors, don't use any greeting at all.

I really hate this one. My old boss used to email me with:

FirstName,

It always felt kind of rude.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1304602477|2912908 said:
How do you start when you don't know whom you're emailing? Say, in a billing question or a complaint. "Dear Time Warner?" Hmmm. "Hi Folks!"? "Hey, You!"? "Yoo Hoo, Anybody Home?"

Dear Sir/Madam,

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thing2of2|1304565768|2912703 said:
I think that the first email in an email exchange should include a "Hi Sally." I always write a "Hi Sally" no matter what, but a lot of times in a quick back and forth email exchange the subsequent emails from whoever I'm corresponding with don't have a "Hi Thing2of2" and I'm fine with that.

ditto.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Elrohwen|1304625543|2913177 said:
Here's a related question:

How do you start an IM conversation? My company is casual and works almost completely via instant message and email (I'm not kidding when I say nobody I know ever checks voicemail, no matter how long that light is blinking).

What's the best way to start those conversations?

I usually start with "hi" or "hey" in case the person is in a meeting and can't talk (since most don't bother signing in and out and are always listed as available)

Ditto, but only because IMs imply a close relationship.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1304606346|2912954 said:
JewelFreak|1304602477|2912908 said:
How do you start when you don't know whom you're emailing? Say, in a billing question or a complaint. "Dear Time Warner?" Hmmm. "Hi Folks!"? "Hey, You!"? "Yoo Hoo, Anybody Home?"

Dear Sir or Madam ....

:appl: I do the same, I was brought up in a strict formal environment, and I aways start with Dear Sir/Madam if I don't know who I'm talking to.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results