shape
carat
color
clarity

Would love feedback :)

mccsbobo

Rough_Rock
Also, do you all think a 2.5ct round will look nice with a dainty setting (1.7mm) or do you think it will look out of proportion?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, do you all think a 2.5ct round will look nice with a dainty setting (1.7mm) or do you think it will look out of proportion?

IMO a little wider, like 2mm, would look more proportionate but still dainty.

mccsbobo

Rough_Rock
I just realized the HCA scores are now recommended to be 1-2. This one scores a 0.6. Should I be concerned?

1715515289363.png

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just realized the HCA scores are now recommended to be 1-2. This one scores a 0.6. Should I be concerned?

1715515289363.png

The HCA was revamped several years ago, and it's more on a case-by-case basis whether a score under 1 is an issue. I wouldn't worry about it for this stone.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found a few other options for you if you're still concerned.

This one has arguably perfect proportions.

mccsbobo

Rough_Rock
The HCA was revamped several years ago, and it's more on a case-by-case basis whether a score under 1 is an issue. I wouldn't worry about it for this stone.

great thanks!! :)

mccsbobo

Rough_Rock
I found a few other options for you if you're still concerned.

This one has arguably perfect proportions.

wow! you are truly amazing!
I have a few more questions for you (which i TOTALLY will understand if you choose to not answer because I am a pain in the neck! haha)

1.) which one has the perfect proportions - the 2.58 or the 2,62?
2.) in your opinion, is there a noticeable difference between E and G color diamonds in practicality (on a dainty platinum pave band)?
3.) The 2.52 you shared with me yesterday was HPHT and the last 3 are CVD. Do you have a preference on HPHT vs CVD?
4.) Out of the 3 you just shared, and 2.52, E, VS1, HPHT, 0.6 HCA - do you have a 1st and 2nd favorite?

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I'll chime in a little, even though I'm nowhere close to @Kim N.

1. There's a range for desired proportions, and no real thing as "perfect." You have to take into account execution and also what the buyer desires. Some people prefer fire, knowing that more fire usually means less brilliance. Other people want their stone whiter in most lightings which means brilliance>fire. PS recommendations are mainly to assure someone a Great Cut which is a range. And honestly, I'm not sure most people can tell the difference between a stone that is slightly more geared toward one or the other.

I think the 2.58 has less pavilion twist than the 2.62 or the 2.52, but @Kim N will know best about that detail. All three are wonderfully cut!

2. Color sensitivity is personal. Some PSers can definitely see the difference btwn E and G - they could be employed by GIA/GCAL/IGI. Others can't. I'm pretty sure only you can answer your question #2.

3. Generally, HPHT material is better quality than CVD. That's not to say that CVD doesn't produce beautiful material. However, when searching for people, I've found that a lot of the CVD offerings have subpar material, and it then takes longer to find someone options. But when you have good material, you have good material. All of these diamonds look great. It's not about a diamond created one way being inherently better than a diamond created a different way.

4. Since you're asking @Kim N, I'm going to leave this one alone! :lol:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow! you are truly amazing!
I have a few more questions for you (which i TOTALLY will understand if you choose to not answer because I am a pain in the neck! haha)

1.) which one has the perfect proportions - the 2.58 or the 2,62?
2.) in your opinion, is there a noticeable difference between E and G color diamonds in practicality (on a dainty platinum pave band)?
3.) The 2.52 you shared with me yesterday was HPHT and the last 3 are CVD. Do you have a preference on HPHT vs CVD?
4.) Out of the 3 you just shared, and 2.52, E, VS1, HPHT, 0.6 HCA - do you have a 1st and 2nd favorite?

0515vision covered most of it!

The 2.58 has proportions that are closest to Tolkowsky ideal.

I agree with 0515vision that color sensitivity and tolerance are personal. You may notice the difference but not mind it, for example.

I have a personal preference for HPHT because an HPHT without blue nuance is the closest thing to a natural diamond. Like 0515vision said, I find it easier to find good HPHT, but there are great quality stones with both methods. The CVD that I posted look good IMO.

My favorite is the 2.58, followed by the 2.62.

mccsbobo

Rough_Rock
Interesting! Just for my own knowledge because I am loving the education - what is pavilion twist??

and thank you once again @Kim N and @0515vision! You are definitely a huge help and youre making this reeeeally interesting for me! :)

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting! Just for my own knowledge because I am loving the education - what is pavilion twist??

and thank you once again @Kim N and @0515vision! You are definitely a huge help and youre making this reeeeally interesting for me! :)

You're very welcome!

Pavilion twist is an indication of poor cut precision and can be seen from the black triangles between the base of the arrows. It happens when the pavilion is unevenly cut to compensate for variations in the angles. It's not really an issue in most GCAL 8x stones.

mccsbobo

Rough_Rock
Pavilion twist is an indication of poor cut precision and can be seen from the black triangles between the base of the arrows.

Ahhh ok! Like these?

1715575073381.png

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
You know how we ask about pavilion angle? The pavilion is the part of the diamond below the girdle. Sometimes those facets are cut slightly rotated causing twist. You see it as little black triangles toward the center. I can't find a photo at the moment, but you'll see images on PS where we have pointed out pavilion twist to people.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Ahhh ok! Like these?

1715575073381.png

Yup. And on the IRL videos you’ll see black triangles toward the center. But you also have to take into account when a diamond is on its side. Sometimes you’ll see “twist” just bc the diamond isn’t facing you flat.

And yes, I’m leaning toward the 2.58, too!

Ooooo you’re so close!!! Excited for you!

mccsbobo

Rough_Rock

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ahhh ok, very interesting! thank you!!

I am totally geeking out and having fun watching the 360 view and fire video side by side of these two stone. I am trying so hard to find the differences! haha!

2.52: https://www.gcalusa.com/certificate-search.html?certificate_id=lg332210610

2.58: https://www.gcalusa.com/certificate-search.html?certificate_id=321371143

Do you see performance difference in these? Or does my eye still need more practice?

Yesss... so close!!

The 2.58 has better brilliance and hearts images.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Also, the symmetry images show better light return under the table for the 2.58.

mccsbobo

Rough_Rock
Ok, that settles it! 2.58 it is!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your patience, and help, and advice!

mccsbobo

Rough_Rock
Ok one final question - do you see any brown/yellow tinge in the 1.58?

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
A G is going to show more color than an E in this size. Whether you can see or care about the difference in person depends on your own color sensitivity/preference.

mccsbobo

Rough_Rock
Thanks, @0-0-0! Makes sense.

Typically exceptionally well cut G's look very white to me; however, for some reason this one was looking a little less white than the others from the pictures, Maybe its just the way the pics were taken.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results