shape
carat
color
clarity

Yellow phosphorescence in strong blue fluorescent diamond?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
IMG_1197.jpegIMG_1200.jpegWhile all of my strong or very strong blue diamonds appear to have at least slight phosphorescence, one of my diamonds glows yellow once the uv light is turned off. Kinda cool. My camera is not picking up the two diamonds on the left, but I can see them with my eyes.

The bottom picture is after I turn off the UV torch in a dark room. The bottom right glows yellow. Any idea why?

IMG_1201.jpeg

How long does it glow?
Off the top of my head trace elements are thought to cause it.

@Karl_K , the emerald and yellow on the right glow 20 to 30 seconds. The camera gives up before eyes do.

IMG_1197.jpegIMG_1200.jpegWhile all of my strong or very strong blue diamonds appear to have at least slight phosphorescence, one of my diamonds glows yellow once the uv light is turned off. Kinda cool. My camera is not picking up the two diamonds on the left, but I can see them with my eyes.

The bottom picture is after I turn off the UV torch in a dark room. The bottom right glows yellow. Any idea why?

IMG_1201.jpeg

Very cool! Yes. I have a little green-yellow (not the one on my avatar) that has strong or very strong blue fluorescence, and it phosphoresces yellow for a few minutes, maybe several (I've never timed it). I don't have a picture of it though. It's very cool and I almost had a heart attack when my jeweler accidentally sent it home with another customer one time. I don't think it would be that easy to find again.

Very cool! Yes. I have a little green-yellow (not the one on my avatar) that has strong or very strong blue fluorescence, and it phosphoresces yellow for a few minutes, maybe several (I've never timed it). I don't have a picture of it though. It's very cool and I almost had a heart attack when my jeweler accidentally sent it home with another customer one time. I don't think it would be that easy to find again.

How cool! that's a lot going on in your special diamond. I hope the jeweler got your diamond back!? I am sure you were worried.

How cool! that's a lot going on in your special diamond. I hope the jeweler got your diamond back!? I am sure you were worried.

I did get it back, thanks. It wasn't at all expensive, but I would have hated to lose it.

Still playing with the yellow diamond. I said it lasted about 20 to 30 seconds, bit actually charged the diamond and laid it on the bedside. At ten minutes I can still see it glow. Here is a picture at about 7 minutes.

How long can this last?
IMG_1207.jpeg

In my experience most fluorescent diamonds have some degree of phosphorescence, including the ones graded faint by GIA.

Here are a few. The strong yellow does not have any phosphorescence. The strong blue has bluish white phosphorescence lasting minutes.

Top to bottom
Faint
Strong yellow (looks green in person too)
None
Strong blue
Faint

In UV light
IMG_3224.png

Lights off
IMG_3225.png

Clearer images of the same diamonds in UV and with lights off.
IMG_3228.pngIMG_3229.png

Clearer images of the same diamonds in UV and with lights off.
IMG_3228.pngIMG_3229.png

I love the green florescence. That is so pretty! Very interesting that the phosphorescence can be a completely different color.

It’s an oddball! It’s the only diamond with strong fluorescence I have that doesn’t have any phosphorescence.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP