shape
carat
color
clarity

yesterday a jeweler told me that james allen was NOT a designer just a retail website

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Date: 2/22/2010 10:54:10 AM
Author: garek007
thanks for the tip neatfreak. He did a friends ring. I'm a bit hesitant. do you guys think he shady? should I just go with James Allen?

what is the incentive for a local jeweler to maintain a ring for free?
The dealers comments are "salesmanship" and nothing many of us haven't seen before. It doesn't mean he is shady, it doesn't mean he is less reputable than other PS vendors..
I've seen two very popular PS vendors here who do CAD/CAM custom work and have bashed brand name settings, the vendors here and anywhere are still in the jewelry business trying to make a sale. Some sales staff use negative advertising (putting down the competition) to make a sale while others stick to singing just their own virtues, one is more agressive than the other and not necessarily a reflection on the quality of their own work.
The PS vendors here and tradespeople have to get along on the forums and are under strict posting rules, however you talk to some of them privately and they will try to "sell" just like any other businessman.

If you have seen the danhov setting in person and want it "EXACTLY" than don't take any risks ,get exactly what you want, no copy or "inspired" piece will look the same, if you want to modifiy it that is something different.

I agree with other posters, the amount of maintenance required on a ring should be low, and many jewelers will do it for a nominal cost to you because they would like to keep you coming back to their store. You should just find one with the quality of workmanship and policies you trust and this can be your "home" store for your GF to go to for maintenance and cleaning.

If you are going to go the custom route look very carefully at FINISHED PIECES of the jeweler in the style you are looking for, if they can't show you any in the style you are looking for I wouldn't take a chance. Don't fall for the trick of them just showing you a wax, so much of the ring production is in the finishing. I wouldn't be drawn into this argument of handmade, versus cast versus die struck, for you as the consumer all of them can suffice. The more important factors are how well polished all the surfaces are, the symmetry and lines of the piece, and delicate metal features and most of all the pave work. I would say the framework or base of the piece is the easiest part, the pave work and finishing and polishing the pieces is where the most skill and attention is required.

Good-luck,

CCL

If your girlfriend walks into a jewelry store wearing her ring they are almost guaranteed to ask her if she wants it cleaned for free. I went into several stores recently with a friend who was looking at wedding rings and she got her engagement ring cleaned at the first store and kept getting offers after that.

More important even than degree of shadiness of the local jeweler is his competence at custom jewelry making in the style you want. Make sure that he has done (and has available for you to view) comparable pieces of a similar style to what you are looking for. You say that you want to be able to evaluate the setting in person before committing - but how is that possible with a custom piece? Most custom orders are not returnable. Also very subtle changes in the piece can really change the overall effect. If you want a particular Danhov piece, I''d really try to see that piece in person to decide if you like it in person and then get the original if it is what you want. Some online dealers might even ship you the Danhov ring you want to try for an inspection period. Custom is not worth undertaking unless you are in a position to save a lot of money and/or want changes to an existing piece only available if you go custom. And always one must be very careful in evaluating the skill of the custom jeweler at delivering what you want.

thank you everyone. so get this, I went on Danhov''s website and the funny thing is, this particular jeweler in my neighborhood is the only one that offers Danhov within 50 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP