shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Topaz value and price

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
Hey there, I'm in a FB group where people, pros or not sell gemstones. A gemologist lady posted this Swiss Blue Topaz of 34 carats for 1800 USD which seemed... steep to me to say the least comsodering it isn't a fancy cut or anything Screenshot_20240412-195303_Facebook.jpg I decided to look around online and found so many different price points on one site. I'll link a few

https://www.gempundit.com/gemstones/topaz/blue-topaz-gp62675

My question is, why such a big range of prices when topaz quality range tends to be quite similar in cut stones?

What is a fair price?

Have a lovely Friday and thanks for the replies! :)

So if those photos are accurate, I'd say this is more of the "electric" blue variety of topaz... it seems to be a rather new addition to the sky, swiss, and london colors. In any event, she has it priced at about $53/ct. I'd say it's worth around $8/ct. at retail. So yeah, in my opinion, it's way over priced, especially for a stone with a poor cut (humongous window). You have yourself a wonderful Friday as well!!
thum12.gif

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
So if those photos are accurate, I'd say this is more of the "electric" blue variety of topaz... it seems to be a rather new addition to the sky, swiss, and london colors. In any event, she has it priced at about $53/ct. I'd say it's worth around $8/ct. at retail. So yeah, in my opinion, it's way over priced, especially for a stone with a poor cut (humongous window). You have yourself a wonderful Friday as well!!
thum12.gif

Don't get me wrong, maybe she bought it at 8USD/ct but offering it at such a high price truly makes me wonder if she will be able to sell it. At 10-15USD per carat she may be able to sell I think

Don't get me wrong, maybe she bought it at 8USD/ct but offering it at such a high price truly makes me wonder if she will be able to sell it. At 10-15USD per carat she may be able to sell I think

I agree... and I can't imagine anyone would pay that price. Like you said, if it were a specialty cut, maybe she'd get $10-15/ct. But that same size and color stone with a better cut can easily be found for way less coin.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results