shape
carat
color
clarity

CVD vs HPHT new EG ring

dylanandtyler

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseam, but I'd still like some advice please.

I currently own a mounted CVD, picked before I found this site, and not within the cut parameters recommended because it's CA is 35.9 and PA is 40.6. I've also read HPHT is favored over CVD due to material and maybe looking cloudy in some lighting.
Is there a way I can evaluate the material once it's mounted? I have an ASET scope but feel as I move around the room, it goes from NO table leakage to very minimal table leakage. It looks true to ideal in some light.

My honest concern is that it is TOO brilliant in some lighting, which goes against what I have learned here, but maybe it's clouding in some light? I thought I was trading brilliance for fire with this cut combo, but the intense brilliance makes me think something may be wrong with the CVD material.
There is no 360 video of the stone as it came from a direct vendor, I can only supply IGI cert, 606345270.

I guess my question/concern is, can it be discernable to the naked eye if a LGD is CVD or HTHP?
And also, is it a deal breaker to have a CA of 39.9, 15.5% , with a 40.6, 42.5%, table 57% or is there ANY chance I just got a winner? I know some prefer a top heavy stone.

I know we overpaid, but that's ok if we got a nice stone. At this point, is there any way to tell?

Shout out to you all that recommended David Klass. He is such a pleasure to work with, my setting is stunning and he is SO easy.

Thank you all for educating us. I'm hooked now and want to buy more!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
That combo can work very well, if the ASET says its good then its good at returning light.
Fire is very lighting dependent, that this combo is very bright in a lot of lighting conditions is how it should be.
Over every possible lighting condition it will tend to show fire more than some combos. How it throws depends a lot on the lower facet configuration.
Maybe someone can find a spin video for it and check the material but being bright in the right lighting is not an issue.
By your description it sounds normal and as expected.
Post some pictures if you can.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you love the diamond? Are you perhaps over analyzing it because of what you have read on CVD graining versus HPHT? I drove myself crazy over this for awhile. I have an old cut cushion CVD that showed some slight graining on the vendor's video. I have scrutinized this diamond since the moment I got it because of what I had read on CVD graining. I kept wearing it next to my natural VS diamonds to finally accept that it does not to my eyes effect the performance of the diamond.

dylanandtyler

Rough_Rock
That combo can work very well, if the ASET says its good then its good at returning light.
Fire is very lighting dependent, that this combo is very bright in a lot of lighting conditions is how it should be.
Over every possible lighting condition it will tend to show fire more than some combos. How it throws depends a lot on the lower facet configuration.
Maybe someone can find a spin video for it and check the material but being bright in the right lighting is not an issue.

Thanks Karl, for making me feel a bit better. I'm just afraid because it is CVD that maybe the material is not good, and now that is set it would be impossible to tell. I don't have any other stones to compare it with.
I wish there was a spin video so the experts could give opinions. I really wish I had found this site before buying. I've learned so much from you all. I do know now that I wouldn't have picked this stone.
I'll post some pics in different lighting when I get home.

dylanandtyler

Rough_Rock
Do you love the diamond? Are you perhaps over analyzing it because of what you have read on CVD graining versus HPHT? I drove myself crazy over this for awhile. I have an old cut cushion CVD that showed some slight graining on the vendor's video. I have scrutinized this diamond since the moment I got it because of what I had read on CVD graining. I kept wearing it next to my natural VS diamonds to finally accept that it does not to my eyes effect the performance of the diamond.

Thanks Lisa, you may be right. I do think I'm making myself crazy over the cut and the fact that it's CVD. If I knew the material was good, that would make me feel better but since it's set, I don't know how to tell.
Kim recommended a gorgeous HPHT with perfect proportions that my friend bought. David Klass is designing her ring too. I'm almost afraid to compare them when she gets it back.

Engrgrl1

Rough_Rock
Thanks Lisa, you may be right. I do think I'm making myself crazy over the cut and the fact that it's CVD. If I knew the material was good, that would make me feel better but since it's set, I don't know how to tell.
Kim recommended a gorgeous HPHT with perfect proportions that my friend bought. David Klass is designing her ring too. I'm almost afraid to compare them when she gets it back.

I would love to see your ring! I am starting my first project with David Klass now--so far, so good!

dylanandtyler

Rough_Rock
I would love to see your ring! I am starting my first project with David Klass now--so far, so good!
Will post pics when i get home. It's a tiffany in platinum. He is a pleasure to work with. He's working on a friends ring now.

dylanandtyler

Rough_Rock

Hi Karl,
Here are some pics. I'm no photographer so I'm not sure if they will be helpful. I feel the stone looks too white in some light and I've read poor CVD material can cause this. Thanks again for any advice. 20240427_105028.jpg 20240427_115926.jpg 20240427_104829.jpg 20240427_103056.jpg 20240427_103003.jpg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
none of the pics are in focus in the right place to judge the material quality.
The light return looks normal.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
At this point your so bugged by it being cvd so return it if you can.
CVD material can and often is just fine so it being CVD does not mean its bad.
Mind clean might be a different story.

dylanandtyler

Rough_Rock
Thanks Karl, for making me feel a bit better. I'm just afraid because it is CVD that maybe the material is not good, and now that is set it would be impossible to tell. I don't have any other stones to compare it with.
I wish there was a spin video so the experts could give opinions. I really wish I had found this site before buying. I've learned so much from you all. I do know now that I wouldn't have picked this stone.
I'll post some pics in different lighting when I get

none of the pics are in focus in the right place to judge the material quality.
The light return looks normal.

Yeah, I'm certainly no photographer. Thanks so much for taking the time to look, I really appreciate it. And no, I can't return it. I guess I was just looking for some peace of mind from you experts. Glad to hear you think the light return looks normal.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I'm certainly no photographer. Thanks so much for taking the time to look, I really appreciate it. And no, I can't return it. I guess I was just looking for some peace of mind from you experts. Glad to hear you think the light return looks normal.

@dylanandtyler I have a CVD 3 carat RB stone. I bought it from a vendor that hand picks his stones. I have zero doubt that the material is fine for mine. It’s clear and beautiful. All this to say, just because it’s CVD created that does not necessarily make it less beautiful. Since return isn’t possible, and it’s set so lovely (yay DK), just try to enjoy it. There’s always going to be better, cheaper etc.
It’s a stunning ring!!
Comparison is the thief of joy.

Last edited:

dylanandtyler

Rough_Rock
@dylanandtyler I have a CVD 3 carat RB stone. I bought it from a vendor that hand picks his stones. I have zero doubt that the material is fine for mine. It’s clear and beautiful. All this to say, just because it’s CVD created that does not necessarily make it less beautiful. Since return isn’t possible, and it’s set so lovely (yay DK), just try to enjoy it. There’s always going to be better, cheaper etc.
It’s a stunning ring!!
Comparison is the thief of joy.

Thanks so much! My stone was purchased, as a gift, from a vendor not known by this site, with no video, just the cert. I've read that there are amazing material CVD's out there, but now being mass produced, and some, with poorer quality. With my stone being set, I was just wondering if there was a way to discern the material quality. I've read that the poorer quality have a haziness in certain lighting. I'm hoping I got lucky and got a great one!
DK is amazing and such a professional.
Love that expression and it definitely resonates in more ways than one!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your ring and diamond are gorgeous.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
It’s gorgeous! I did that too. I was looking for a base diamond to have recut. With CVD I was thinking “they’re mass produced now and quality is way down” but I couldn’t beat the price of the CVD and it was a color that spoke to me. I had it recut and it’s literally perfect. I have never been truly happy before with my natural diamonds, my other lab diamonds, 2 of which were HPHT and I had a recut of an HPHT, and this one which is CVD blows them all away. It’s just the right diamond and right setting. It’s like @0515vision said, you can get bad HPHT and amazing CVD.

I think you HAVE to compare it to your friends, and if you compare it and think it’s “less than” it will ALWAYS bother you and you should consider it a sunk cost. Have the experts here find you a new diamond very close is size and have Davis swap the diamonds out and use the old one for a pendant or right had ring or earring…

For me personally that feeling of making the wrong choice didn’t go away and like I said, I just took the loss and get something perfect. The prices now are such that i just focused on the new cost, not the old lost money (I paid $6600 for a 2.5 ct OEC about 2 years ago, that same diamond now would be like 2600) but it was SO WORTH it rather than never fully loving it or having the doubts every single time you look at it.

It doesn’t matter if we all tell you it’s amazing, if you look at it and don’t think that, you’re the only one looking at it 100x a day, so it only matters what you think when you look at it. Like @HS4S_2 said, this is a mind clean issue. I definitely think you should compare it to your friends to give yourself the comfort rather than wondering, because I feel like that side-by-side comparison is the only thing that would give you comfort and if it doesn’t compare to you, then replace the center… or you can just wait two years like I did until you feel comfortable losing the money like me… lol!

dylanandtyler

Rough_Rock
CVD can create pristine material, and HPHT can create bad material. You have a beautiful ring. Look at it with love, and it will love you back.
Thank you 0515vision!

It’s gorgeous! I did that too. I was looking for a base diamond to have recut. With CVD I was thinking “they’re mass produced now and quality is way down” but I couldn’t beat the price of the CVD and it was a color that spoke to me. I had it recut and it’s literally perfect. I have never been truly happy before with my natural diamonds, my other lab diamonds, 2 of which were HPHT and I had a recut of an HPHT, and this one which is CVD blows them all away. It’s just the right diamond and right setting. It’s like @0515vision said, you can get bad HPHT and amazing CVD.

I think you HAVE to compare it to your friends, and if you compare it and think it’s “less than” it will ALWAYS bother you and you should consider it a sunk cost. Have the experts here find you a new diamond very close is size and have Davis swap the diamonds out and use the old one for a pendant or right had ring or earring…

For me personally that feeling of making the wrong choice didn’t go away and like I said, I just took the loss and get something perfect. The prices now are such that i just focused on the new cost, not the old lost money (I paid $6600 for a 2.5 ct OEC about 2 years ago, that same diamond now would be like 2600) but it was SO WORTH it rather than never fully loving it or having the doubts every single time you look at it.

It doesn’t matter if we all tell you it’s amazing, if you look at it and don’t think that, you’re the only one looking at it 100x a day, so it only matters what you think when you look at it. Like @HS4S_2 said, this is a mind clean issue. I definitely think you should compare it to your friends to give yourself the comfort rather than wondering, because I feel like that side-by-side comparison is the only thing that would give you comfort and if it doesn’t compare to you, then replace the center… or you can just wait two years like I did until you feel comfortable losing the money like me… lol!

Thanks Inked, very sound advice that I will definitely take. Glad you finally got what you love.

dylanandtyler

Rough_Rock
I think your ring and diamond are gorgeous.

Thanks Kim N, I was hoping you might chime in. After seeing all the gorgeous
stones you recommend, I very much value your opinion.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results