shape
carat
color
clarity

H colour diamonds - need help please!

Starryplum

Rough_Rock
Hello :)
I am choosing between 2 H colour IGI diamonds both XXX but with 2 different carat weights (2.05 and 2.22). I had an issue with the last stone we purchased from IGI being graded H but really being a K!

Can anyone shed any light on whether IGI reports can be trusted and which of the 2 options below is the better option:

Hoping to get the stone that sparkles the most but hard to tell just from these certs.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't buy an IGI diamond personally. I'd stick with GIA or AGS for natural diamonds.

And you need pics/videos. You can't choose a diamond "blindly"

Old_Fossil

Rough_Rock
I concur with @lovedogs and would steer clear of IGI graded natural stones. Plenty of discussions on this forum about that subject, and you noted that you have experienced why yourself.

A quick glance on the James Allen site I see that the average 2 carat H color IGI stone is in the $13-15K range.

If you, and more importantly the recipient, are good with IGI graded H color, than I submit you will also be good with GIA or AGS graded I or J color, due to the variances in IGI grading. A well cut I - J color round brilliant will be quite white face up in the right setting.

As such, I offer the following stones below for you to consider. I recommend these stones with the caveat that my search criteria is the best cut GIA/AGS graded stone in the 1.7 -2.2 carat, I-J color and $15k range.

If you can compromise on carat size, then this Whiteflash 1.82 carat I color stone from their Expert Selection is an exemplary cut -and will have great light performance. I purchased a pair of their earrings and a right hand ring, and they all put on a light show. I think this is an excellent value at $13k. You can click the link and see videos of the actual stone.

If you are OK with IGI H color, then perhaps a super ideal cut J color is within your range of options, so at least consider it as a possibility. These three stones are from Brian Gavin's Signature line, and are all 1.8 carat J color stones just under $15k. Like the stone above, these are some of the best cut stones out there. Click on the respective stones to see their videos.

If carat isn't an area of compromise, Here is an AGS Ideal 0 grade 2.17 ct I color from James Allen-which has some inclusions under the table facet but I believe should be eye-clean -and is $15k. I believe this to be a pretty well cut stone that should have good light performance.

Good luck in your search. Feel free to post questions to the experts here (I am not one btw) and keep us posted on your journey.

Starryplum

Rough_Rock
I concur with @lovedogs and would steer clear of IGI graded natural stones. Plenty of discussions on this forum about that subject, and you noted that you have experienced why yourself.

A quick glance on the James Allen site I see that the average 2 carat H color IGI stone is in the $13-15K range.

If you, and more importantly the recipient, are good with IGI graded H color, than I submit you will also be good with GIA or AGS graded I or J color, due to the variances in IGI grading. A well cut I - J color round brilliant will be quite white face up in the right setting.

As such, I offer the following stones below for you to consider. I recommend these stones with the caveat that my search criteria is the best cut GIA/AGS graded stone in the 1.7 -2.2 carat, I-J color and $15k range.

If you can compromise on carat size, then this Whiteflash 1.82 carat I color stone from their Expert Selection is an exemplary cut -and will have great light performance. I purchased a pair of their earrings and a right hand ring, and they all put on a light show. I think this is an excellent value at $13k. You can click the link and see videos of the actual stone.

If you are OK with IGI H color, then perhaps a super ideal cut J color is within your range of options, so at least consider it as a possibility. These three stones are from Brian Gavin's Signature line, and are all 1.8 carat J color stones just under $15k. Like the stone above, these are some of the best cut stones out there. Click on the respective stones to see their videos.

If carat isn't an area of compromise, Here is an AGS Ideal 0 grade 2.17 ct I color from James Allen-which has some inclusions under the table facet but I believe should be eye-clean -and is $15k. I believe this to be a pretty well cut stone that should have good light performance.

Good luck in your search. Feel free to post questions to the experts here (I am not one btw) and keep us posted on your journey.

wow thank you for such a comprehensive response.

Our budget is about AUS $28500 for the diamond (30k with setting).

Ideally would like to stick as close to 2carat as possible and prefer not to go under a H in colour as I'm sensitive to colour and really don't want to see any yellow.

Really appreciate suggestions on diamond options.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow thank you for such a comprehensive response.

Our budget is about AUS $28500 for the diamond (30k with setting).

Ideally would like to stick as close to 2carat as possible and prefer not to go under a H in colour as I'm sensitive to colour and really don't want to see any yellow.

Really appreciate suggestions on diamond options.

What are the fees to import a stone to AUS from the US? happy to help look

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you search, specify gia or AGS plus the recommended angles in the menu at the top about "education". That will save a lot of time and help weed out bad choices (or at least more of them)

Starryplum

Rough_Rock
It could be OK, but I'd avoid because of the IGI cert and it's overly steep/deep at 35.6 plus 62.9 depth.

Out of everything I have plugged into the HCA calculator this one scored 2.5.. everything else was over 3.5. Struggling to find things in the budget with an excellent cut ...

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Out of everything I have plugged into the HCA calculator this one scored 2.5.. everything else was over 3.5. Struggling to find things in the budget with an excellent cut ...

See the above suggestions. Do any of them appeal to you?

Vladovici

Shiny_Rock
Hello :)
I am choosing between 2 H colour IGI diamonds both XXX but with 2 different carat weights (2.05 and 2.22). I had an issue with the last stone we purchased from IGI being graded H but really being a K!

Can anyone shed any light on whether IGI reports can be trusted and which of the 2 options below is the better option:

Hoping to get the stone that sparkles the most but hard to tell just from these certs.

Videos in here of the ones from post #1.

Old_Fossil

Rough_Rock
Remember the thing with color @Starryplum stones are color graded upside down, but viewed primarily (of course not exclusively) from the top. The GIA near colorless range (G-J) offer tremendous value, especially with an excellent cut and the right setting. I mention this as it is important to note that it is generally not useful to compare the same color grades across GIA and IGI.

Both organizations evaluate diamonds based on the 4 Cs: color, clarity, cut, and carat weight. As a rule of thumb, IGI tends to assign diamonds one or two grades higher than GIA in color and clarity. For instance, if GIA rates a diamond as H or I color and VS1 clarity, IGI might give it G color and VVS2 clarity. Definitely not apples to apples. GIA is considered the industry standard, although I appreciate and prefer the light performance and cut proportion reporting of AGS. Other here can speak to the current system now since GIA and AGS merged a couple years ago. Other reporting companies have emerged that leverage technology to provide more precise data, especially with cut proportions.

I would stick with the experts here and continue to look for stones with GIA/AGS reports since you have specific color requirements. Determine which of the 4cs you can and can't compromise on, and then let us know your parameters. PSers here will be able to provide some exceptional stones for you to consider.

Not the greatest picture, but the image below are a pair of GIA I color ACA studs, both 1.5 carat, I recently purchased, and they are as white as can be. Round brilliants are one of the best shapes to conceal color, and a well cut stone even more so. I did not compromise whatsoever on cut, but was comfortably able to go with I color - and I applaud my own decision making (with tremendous support from the experts here).

1.5_ACA_I_VS1-2.jpg

Last edited:

yodaling

Rough_Rock
Trade

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are these within budget?

Starryplum

Rough_Rock
Are these within budget?

They look gorgeous but budget is 28500k Australian dollars

yodaling

Rough_Rock
Trade
Shallow crown angle, deep pavilion angle

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... Can anyone shed any light on whether IGI reports can be trusted ...

Some people "trust" IGI, some don't.
I don't.

I work hard for my money and don't gamble with it.
Slight differences in grades make a huge difference in price.
I have to be as sure as possible the grades are as correct.
If I'm paying for an H, it BETTER be an H!!! :angryfire:

Image if I paid for a 1.3 ct stone that was actually only 1.1 ct.
NOT OKAY!
Same with color and clarity grades, because they affect price just like carat weight does.
I can't believe these labs get away with preying on poorly-informed customers as they commit what I'd call fraud.

Here in USA I don't come across many diamonds graded by the best European labs, so I'll stick with GIA.

Actually if I was shopping today I'd make sure the diamond was graded by AGS, which is now a part of GIA.
AGS's top cut/light performance grade of AGS 0 is IMO the most strict gold standard, and MUCH better than GIA's top Excellent cut grade, because GIA allows some more-poorly cut stones to be included in their Excellent grade. :nono:

Some people say diamonds from better labs are more expensive.
Not so.
The just have grades that are not lies.

Last edited:

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP
1. Can you adjust your budget? Why do I ask…
2. Go ahead and buy the IGI graded stones if you are comfortable with knowing that GIA or AGS would probably grade them 2-3 grades lower, clarity would take a hit also.
3. There are NO deals in diamonds, the age old axiom applies to diamond purchases……you get what you pay for.
Wishing you the best of luck and enjoyment with the process.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results