shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me buy a strand of pearls for my husband

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Hello, pearl experts!

My husband enjoys wearing a statement piece of (my) jewelry to parties--a Victorian brooch on a lapel, a bold pendant on a chain. Today I lent him a pearl necklace, which looked great on him. I'd like to get him his own pearls. Can you help me find the right strand?

He'd like round white pearls, 26 inches, at least 8mm, but bigger would be good. (He says, "I'm a gigantic monster, so the pearls shouldn't be tiny.") He's not fussy about the quality of the nacre, but I'd like it to be decent. I'd prefer good freshwaters to bad akoyas. Budget: as low as possible. I could go up to $1000 if necessary, but preferably less than $500.

Advice? Many thanks!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suggest you look on Etsy.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought of Wen Pearls but they don't seem to have anything along the lines of what you are looking for at present.
The only listing that might work is

But the holes are large-- too large to string on ordinary thread. I suppose if he wants to string on leather or some other thicker cord they could work. It's a bit of a project, though. And you'd want to ask for photos so you could select the 2 strands that match best.

If that is not what you are thinking of doing, best to keep looking.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Just to add: I can do an adequate job of stringing, and at 26 inches it may be long enough to go over his head without a clasp. I should probably include a clasp just to make it easier. Choosing one won’t be a problem, since I can do the stringing myself.

Also, I checked with him again in the size, and it looks like 9mm is his sweet spot, but he said he’d be happy with 8mm too. He thought my 10 -11 mm ripple pearls were too big. So I think 8 - 9.5 is what I”m looking for.

Many thanks for the advice!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, all! I ordered some 9mm freshwater cheapies from Wen on etsy, along with a sterling orbit clasp. That way DH and I can see how he likes them and what needs adjusting (size, shape, length, clasp, luster, etc) before I spend the time and money on better pearls for him--or who knows, maybe he'll love the cheapies.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you, all! I ordered some 9mm freshwater cheapies from Wen on etsy, along with a sterling orbit clasp. That way DH and I can see how he likes them and what needs adjusting (size, shape, length, clasp, luster, etc) before I spend the time and money on better pearls for him--or who knows, maybe he'll love the cheapies.

Wen delivers quite fast
im so looking forward to you showing them to us

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
@glitterata @pearlsngems I’d love to see mod shots of your husbands wearing pearls!

Mine was practically forced to wear a wedding ring, and takes it off to sleep / forgets to put it back on every other day…

Mine takes off his WR at night and occasionally forgets to put it on in the morning too! Then when he remembers, he quickly puts it on and says, “WHEW! That was close! I was almost forced to have an affair with a chorine!” He‘s pretty fussy about what he wears. He lets me decorate him for parties in a single piece of extra jewelry, but he has to choose it. He likes dark red Victorian garnets—I‘ve given him a brooch to wear on his lapel. He recently told me my grandmother’s beautiful strand of jade beads was too long for me and I should give it to him—and he was right, it does look better on him. He probably won’t let me post photos of him on the internet, but I’ll see what I can do.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Glad you found some! I think pearls look cool on the right man. For Etsy sellers, I have loved the pearls bought at OceanRhyme.

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
Here’s a photo of my husband reluctantly wearing my baroque Tahitians - he’s humouring me by being my model at the airport haha.

They’re too short on his neck, but I LOVE pearls on men!

IMG_7519.jpeg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Here’s a photo of my husband reluctantly wearing my baroque Tahitians - he’s humouring me by being my model at the airport haha.

IMG_7519.jpeg

He looks fantastic in those pearls! I like the length on him, too.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

IMG_7519.jpeg

he is rocking them:kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:
i think the length is pretty close, maybe just an extra pearl
but of course it is his neck and some people like me dont like anything tight around their necks
are we going for Tahitians ?

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
He looks fantastic in those pearls! I like the length on him, too.
Thanks! Sadly he’s not a pearl guy, just a reluctant model :(

he is rocking them:kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:
i think the length is pretty close, maybe just an extra pearl
but of course it is his neck and some people like me dont like anything tight around their necks
are we going for Tahitians ?
I went for Tahitians and he was my model :D
It’s hard enough for him to not lose his wedding ring, so a pearl necklace is not something he’d wear sadly!

T

This looks so good.
Hehe thanks! I saw a male vendor at a pearl market wearing some larger baroque Tahitians and he looked amazing!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks! Sadly he’s not a pearl guy, just a reluctant model :(

I went for Tahitians and he was my model :D
It’s hard enough for him to not lose his wedding ring, so a pearl necklace is not something he’d wear sadly!

Hehe thanks! I saw a male vendor at a pearl market wearing some larger baroque Tahitians and he looked amazing!

not sure if the boyfriend is old enough to have enjoyed this James Bond? but he totally owns this pearl look

1712978389064.jpeg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is nothing I love more than a man decked out in jewels, scarves, leather pants, pearls. The more glam the better. I wish more men truly dressed up the way they used to. We need a return to velvet and tight pants and shapely calves.

I need to see a photo of your man in his finery @glitterata .

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
There is nothing I love more than a man decked out in jewels, scarves, leather pants, pearls. The more glam the better. I wish more men truly dressed up the way they used to. We need a return to velvet and tight pants and shapely calves.

I need to see a photo of your man in his finery @glitterata .

He's a bit too private for internet photos, but he's been very much enjoying a necklace of jade (or jadelike) beads, a silver bracelet, and a selection of brooches he adopted from my collection. (He wears these items one at a time.) I confess I haven't yet strung his pearls--I need to get the right size silk.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dreamer_D
Is this finery? Here in the west, this is everyday glam!
My DH loves hats, rings, belt buckles and bracelets, but not necklaces.
@glitterata....He says "no" to pearls!

He was just headed out the door and I made him take a pic. Note the octopus belt buckle.
IMG_20240413_093240482.jpg

Last edited:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Dreamer_D
Is this finery? Here in the west, this is everyday glam!
My DH loves hats, rings, belt buckles and bracelets, but not necklaces. He says "no" to pearls!
He was just headed out the door and I made him take a pic. Note the octopus belt buckle.
IMG_20240413_093240482.jpg

Love it!

My husband does not really have personal style like this. Obviously that needs to change for my viewing pleasure. I am going to work on it.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
He's a bit too private for internet photos, but he's been very much enjoying a necklace of jade (or jadelike) beads, a silver bracelet, and a selection of brooches he adopted from my collection. (He wears these items one at a time.) I confess I haven't yet strung his pearls--I need to get the right size silk.

This all sounds wonderful and exactly up my alley. Where does he wear the brooches? On jackets?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results