shape
carat
color
clarity

I’m on the medical freak out anxiety train again

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
You can read my other thread in hang out if you’re not caught up with the story of my husband and his chest pain and subsequent stent etc.

Out of sheer paranoia, on a follow up visit he was asking the doctor if there is a way to scan the Carotid artery. His dad who died of a stroke. It was evidently through that artery. At first the doctor did not think that this was a necessary test but then he said well let’s go ahead and order it since you’re leaving town soon. We’re supposed to be working abroad starting mid May.

He goes in for the test which is just an ultrasound and the tech makes an observation that his arteries look really unusual, in that they look similar to each other. And apparently they’re supposed to look different. I still don’t quite understand it because he told my husband who told me. The tech said it’s on both sides. He seemed really surprised about it and just acted like it was really weird and unusual, and even indicated that the doctors are going to be flummoxed by it.

He did indicate that he’s not allowed to say anything about the exam unless it’s a medical medical emergency situation. And I’m thinking to myself that he’s just already said things which are getting me and my husband all worked up. So my husband was able to walk out of there. He also said he didn’t see any plaques on the arteries while he was doing the ultrasound, but did say that they could come from elsewhere- whatever that means. Again, something that the tech probably should not have said.

I’m just so stressed out and upset and scared right now and having a lot of trouble concentrating on anything. I was just starting to relax and wrap my mind around the whole stent situation and now I’m so afraid that there’s something whacked out with this type of artery that’s going to require some sort of scary intervention. Maybe I’m overreacting but I’m just having to vent again on PS while I wait on results.

Sorry y’all.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Firstly breathe.
As someone, and also my mother, with “weird” things in our bodies, different doesn’t necessarily mean bad, it just means different.
Secondly, speak to the doctor.
As someone who has had a radiologist go “oh, that’s interesting” and then say “the report will go to the doctor” and I wanted to throttle the radiologist for making me freak out.
Thirdly, even results can be misleading.
Pregnant with DD my CVS test at 10 weeks indicated double mosaicism, which is incompatible with life, and the wait until 16 weeks when an amino was able to be done was beyond difficult.
Needless to say DD turned out pretty good and it’s weird and unusual things that seem to happen to and with me.
So unless symptoms present that indicate a problem it’s best, easier said than done, to assume that there isn’t a problem.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Firstly breathe.
As someone, and also my mother, with “weird” things in our bodies, different doesn’t necessarily mean bad, it just means different.
Secondly, speak to the doctor.
As someone who has had a radiologist go “oh, that’s interesting” and then say “the report will go to the doctor” and I wanted to throttle the radiologist for making me freak out.
Thirdly, even results can be misleading.
Pregnant with DD my CVS test at 10 weeks indicated double mosaicism, which is incompatible with life, and the wait until 16 weeks when an amino was able to be done was beyond difficult.
Needless to say DD turned out pretty good and it’s weird and unusual things that seem to happen to and with me.
So unless symptoms present that indicate a problem it’s best, easier said than done, to assume that there isn’t a problem.

Thank you, Bron. I’m pretty unhappy with the tech. I wish he had said nothing. The test was already stressful and he made it worse. I cannot imagine the agony you must have gone through waiting six weeks for extra information during pregnancy! I’m really sorry you had to endure that.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
He seemed really surprised about it and just acted like it was really weird and unusual

This reminds me of a story… hope it can soothe your nerves a bit.

So, some 15-ish years ago I decide to donate blood. During the preliminary examination the nurse tells me she cannot allow me to donate because I have arrhythmia and she’s concerned what removing a significant volume of blood from my system could cause. She sends me off to see a cardiologist.

At this point I’m like 20. My mom freaks out. We go to a doctor, I get hooked to a holter (which is basically a way to have a continuous ekg for 24 hours), next day we return to have the results examined and interpreted. The cardiologist starts talking about how I have the most irregular heartbeat he’s ever seen, how no two beats are identical, how this is most unusual. Mom freak out levels hit the roof.

I’ll spare you the details of how two cardiologists speculated about the causes and about some quite invasive treatment options until we sought a third opinion by someone actually competent who did an echo, did an ekg, reviewed past results and said I just have respiratory sinus arrhythmia. Probably born with it, which, yeah, is unusual, but aside from that entirely healthy.

My point is… medical professionals will sometimes be… not entirely professional and freak you out unnecessarily. I don’t know why they do that. In any case, it’s not worth stressing over. If the doctor confirms there’s an actual issue that needs addressing, you’ll take care of it and that’s that.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for your reply @Avondale . I haven’t told any friends or family about this situation so the forum is my spot to unload at the moment. I appreciate the story and your thoughts!

Last edited:

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
@Mreader The tech should not have said a single thing to you guys about your husband's results. That was terribly unprofessional, and I'd be quite angry, and would probably make a complaint to the facility if it were me.

Just know you and your husband are doing the right thing by not ignoring possibilities. You're making intentional, proactive choices to take care of yourselves, and that's a good thing. Unfortunately, sometimes along the way we make unintentional discoveries, and then have to deal with those surprises. I'll keep my fingers crossed that when you hear from the actual doctor, he has absolutely nothing remarkable to report, and you guys will be able to enjoy your summer abroad with clear minds.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
...tech makes an observation that his arteries look really unusual, in that they look similar to each other. And apparently they’re supposed to look different. I still don’t quite understand it because he told my husband who told me. The tech said it’s on both sides. He seemed really surprised about it and just acted like it was really weird and unusual, and even indicated that the doctors are going to be flummoxed by it.

He did indicate that he’s not allowed to say anything about the exam unless it’s a medical medical emergency situation. And I’m thinking to myself that he’s just already said things which are getting me and my husband all worked up. So my husband was able to walk out of there. He also said he didn’t see any plaques on the arteries while he was doing the ultrasound, but did say that they could come from elsewhere- whatever that means. Again, something that the tech probably should not have said.

I would not get too excited about this. There are all sorts of anatomic variants in the vasculature. Surgeons deal with this all the time when they are looking for -- or looking to avoid -- the blood supply to an organ. Sounds good that there was no plaque. I would wait for the official "read" filtered through his PCP.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I would not get too excited about this. There are all sorts of anatomic variants in the vasculature. Surgeons deal with this all the time when they are looking for -- or looking to avoid -- the blood supply to an organ. Sounds good that there was no plaque. I would wait for the official "read" filtered through his PCP.

Thank you @LilAlex - that’s comforting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results