shape
carat
color
clarity

Must. Stop. Looking. (bought a ring on eBay, oops!)

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
I am going to have to stop looking at everyone's pretties here and cruising eBay. This is it!

I impulsively bought a solitaire ring, .44ct OMC (?) in an 18k wg Jabel illusion head. Said to be IF or close to it and E-F... Panicked now that it's not what it's cracked up to be. Anyway, for all I know the seller is on PS! :wavey: Everyone here seems to love OECs. I don't read much about OMCs. She said the stone was about 100 years old. Does that make it an OMC by default?

Pics weren't the best but there is a return policy... This would relegate my new Granat ring to RH status... And, also, all my other rings that I wear are platinum! I probably paid too much anyway. :-o

Can't seem to upload pics from the iPad, but maybe I can do so later from my laptop?

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
here are pics from the listing:

photo (2).JPG

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
lucyruth,

Way to go :appl:! I think that this new one will work better as an ering and moving your other pretty to your right hand works beautiful.

Get it appraised if you're concerned that it's not what it was advertised as or you paid too much.

I couldn't tell from the photo whether the diamond is round or cushiony (I'm working on a computer with a 9" screen). OMCs are cushiony.

I'm excited for you. I'm still looking on ebay, but mainly just watching stuff that is interesting, nothing that I really want. There is a cute four-stone googley-eyed thing for a little under $500 for about half a carat total weight but it's YG and my 6-stone OEC for the same price is the right size and a lot more practical.

I think my OEC filled the last "want it" gap. I hope so, anyway!

So how soon before you get it????

liz

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
lucyruth,

Here's a link to an article that explains OMC and OEC. http://www.gems24-7.com/pics_large/oldminecuts.html

I'd say that the odds of the diamond being IF or nearly so are pretty slim, and the color may be lower than the seller is saying. Would that matter to you? Do you care whether it's OMC or OEC, as long as it's not a modern brilliant?

The main reasons for knowing the color and clarity are to be sure you don't overpay, but I'm guessing you didn't pay small fortune for this because you don't strike me as someone to make an expensive impulse purchase. I think that if you love it when you get it and you are comfortable with what you paid, you don't have anything to worry about.

You didn't post the price, but without that, you're not going to get any educated opinions on whether you overpaid.

liz

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
Well, thanks for the moral support! I was afraid to say how much I paid, but it was $425. Should get it this week! She said she'd mail it Monday. It looks more round to me than cushiony, too. I'd be happy if it's an oec. I just don't need another rb! Also color totally doesn't bother me. I actually prefer warmer diamonds, but hate flaws! She said a jeweler told her "IF" but she put vvs1-vvs2 in the specs.

I can get it looked at, I suppose, but I'll either love it or not when I see it. Plus I wouldn't have the first clue how to get it appraised lol! I will need it sized though, if I keep it, as it's an 8.5 and I need a 6.5. Hoping that won't cause problems, and hoping it will give me a little more finger coverage than her hand!

I have more pics but keep getting errors when trying to upload. They may be too large?

Eta: love love love your big oec!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
$425 for a .44 carat is really good! I doubt it's actually IF and E-F, if so it's so rare that it's worth substantially more than that!

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
lucyruth,

I don't know anything about prices for OECs, but if you look at inexpensive vintage and antique engagement rings, the ones you find under $300 typically have a quarter carat or smaller diamond in them. $425 may not be a steal (or maybe it is--I don't know), but that's not expensive. If you get it and love it and feel that it's worth what you paid for it, that's all that counts. If you can wear it every day and look at it and enjoy seeing it, that's more important than whether you paid $25 or $50 "too much". Unless it's tiny and poor quality, seems like that's quite a reasonable price.

I hope you get the warm fuzzies when you see it! And I hope you get it in two or three days, which is what the USPS is capable of doing, and not a week and a half or more, which is what they did with my itty bitty.

My OEC isn't big compared to a lot of diamonds here, but it surely is sparkly. I really love the pastel flashes of color in subdued light. I'm sitting in a travel trailer in the middle of a national forest with just RV LED lighting and it is spectacular.

liz

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, I'd be surprised if it is, too! I always tend to under describe my listings though. So glad you think the price is okay. Now just have to see exactly what I get lol!

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
lucyruth,

Sartori Bros is selling a .35 ct. total weight (one OEC, two tiny accent stones) in a more decorative white gold setting for $895, with make an offer. Smaller diamond, more elaborate setting that wouldn't go with your wedding ring, lots more money.

Found another for $425 with no info about size and types of diamonds but I don't think the center stone is close to .44.

Here's a listing from the folks I got itty bitty from for about 2/3 ct. for $500, but there's a chip under the girdle. It's not a JABEL setting that you like. http://www.ebay.com/itm/140505142274?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I have several others on my watch list. I think you did just fine!

liz

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the link etc.! I do think I must have done okay. It's not platinum but hopefully will blend okay! I will come and post when I get it!

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
That's a beautiful set but $1000 - wow! Hoping I like mine... Nervous here!

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
They do say you can make an offer, but it is a smaller diamond than yours. Hope you get it quickly and you are thrilled.

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
Got it today! I think I really like it. Not sure what cut it is. Tiny table, shallow cut. Very white, no carbon. Don't know how to find other inclusions but I don't see any. Head looks like platinum to me. Funny, I'm not crazy about the ring setting/ shank.

No pics yet but I'll try to post some soon!

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
Well I think it's an oec, which is fine.

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
lucyruth,

I have been thinking about you off and on today and wondering if your pretty would arrive. Photos, please!

If you don't love it, you can send it back and see if something else speaks to you... I think you got it at a good price, but there are other options at comparable prices if you don't have the warm fuzzies about this one.

liz

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
Well, it's at the jeweler's getting sized down for me.... so I like it enough to re-size, anyway! It's a beautiful stone. The setting is meh. I'm going to wear it a little while and hopefully just resell if I don't grow attached. And, I left my Granat Bros. cocktail-style ring to size down after all... it was just spinning like mad and making me nuts. Can't wait til they're ready - my fingers feel naked!

Part of the problem is I bid on a bigger ring on eBay and just lost, barely. It was a .90ct antique OEC that sold for a little over a grand! I could kick myself for not going higher... but it was not meant to be. Anyway, this little .44 seems minuscule in comparison! So I'm having a little regret there.

Anyway! Couldn't post pics because internet was down here for two days! Will do so when I get her back from the jeweler.

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
lucyruth,

But you don't know whether you'd have gotten that one for just a little more. The person who won it may have bid a max of $1500.

What's the link for the larger OEC (just for curiosity's sake)? I like to look.

You're right about being able to sell it if you don't grow to love it. You probably won't take a big hit and you may break even or even sell it for more than you paid. It's not a high-ticket item and you didn't overpay for it.

liz

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
You're right. Here is a link to the listing:
http://caleb.tk/xiIFQR

And here is the listing number on ebay: 300672533758
Hope one of those pointers will work!

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
lucyruth,

As my significant other says, that one doesn't blow my skirt up :bigsmile:. The setting isn't at all like either of the two you have bought and it wouldn't work very well with your wedding band.

The photos don't show the diamond very well so you can't really tell whether the facets are a nice pattern.

If you'd gotten it, would you have kept it in that setting?

liz

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
I don't know - probably! I'm always interested in something vintage and different. I like big and clunky, which is what I thought when I saw that one! It just looked like a big, easy to wear ring. But, maybe it had a big ole carbon spot in the table! No telling! Ah well. Just waiting impatiently for my others to return!

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
Finally got my rings back from the jeweler's today... well, I sized my larger "cocktail" ring down to a size 6 from a 6.25... (I usually wear a 6.5) and it is almost impossible to get over my knuckle but it still spins on my finger. Ah well, I should have listened to someone about sizing beads. Guess I'll keep it like this until warm weather, then who knows.

My solitaire... sized down to a 6.5. Really really pretty diamond imo, but I'm not loving the setting. I do like the illusion head, but not so much the shank. It's just too modern and baguette-looking for me! Tell me what you think!

DSC_1377.JPG

DSC_1375.JPG

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
I like it, especially with just your plain wedding band. I think it looks nice and clean and simple. The diamond and head look great.

Since you've had it resized, wear it awhile and see if you grow to love it more. You may concentrate on how pretty the diamond is and not really see the parts you're not thrilled with.

liz

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
I love the setting. It has clean, elegant lines.

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
Thanks ladies! I am wearing it today with just the plain band... liking it more. I think I would like a different band that matched better? Or, perhaps, one that complemented it. The one I have is platinum and round, and the diamond solitaire is 18k and square, almost like a bombe. Will have to start looking for something vintagey on ebay...

If anyone has any leads, lmk!

Thanks!

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
vinjewels, thanks for the link! I love so many of those, but esp. that setting of tuckins1.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results