shape
carat
color
clarity

Preventing wedding set rings from spinning - NOT changing ring size

momma2boys

Shiny_Rock
IMG_7241.jpeg Hello! Does anyone have any suggestions for how to prevent my 3 rings from spinning around? I recently got 2 new wedding bands and the set fits perfectly (photos attached). However, since the bands are curved it’s so obvious when they aren’t lined up exactly. I’ve looked online a ton and can’t find anything but ring size adjusters, which I absolutely do not want. I also do not want to solder the rings. I knew going into this that I’d need something but didn’t expect it to be this hard.

Thank you in advance!!

Attachments

• IMG_7239.jpeg
    IMG_7239.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 41

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I deal with this by constantly fidgeting.
You have slim hands. More pudgy fingers don't usually have this problem.

njblinger

Rough_Rock
I wonder if sizing beads would help with the spinning. 1714573696883.png

I have sizing beads and my rings still spin. I thought they would help but unfortunately not.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a butterfly spring sizer, no experience with it so I don't know if it works.

IMG_0970.jpeg

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
My mother's ring had a spring sizer. It did work and wasn't ongodly uncomfortable. The ones on the bottom of the shank are awful.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If the rings are not soldered, they will spin. FInd a roll of Gorilla tape, which is made of stronger glue and canvas than duct tape. Cut a thin strip long enough to wrap all three rings together tightly at the bottom of their shanks. It may prevent spinning and since it is under your fingers, it won't often be seen by you or anyone else. That might work. Alternatively, a clear glue might be used to keep them together, but it will only be temporary. Kept to the base of the shanks, it won't hurt anything. You'll need to let it set before wearing the rings. It will be somewhat like soldering, but not damaging to the surfaces of the metal.

Myself, I thinks a properly soldered or laser welded set of shanks would be almost invisible if done by a good jeweler. Such work does not destroy the value or the look.

momma2boys

Shiny_Rock
Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond!
Oldminer, thank you for your detailed response. One of your suggestions is probably the route I’ll end up going.
I wish there was a little something I could attached from one end of the set down to the other, that doesn’t go on the inside of the rings. Sounds like that’s not option.

Thanks again, everyone!
If the rings are not soldered, they will spin. FInd a roll of Gorilla tape, which is made of stronger glue and canvas than duct tape. Cut a thin strip long enough to wrap all three rings together tightly at the bottom of their shanks. It may prevent spinning and since it is under your fingers, it won't often be seen by you or anyone else. That might work. Alternatively, a clear glue might be used to keep them together, but it will only be temporary. Kept to the base of the shanks, it won't hurt anything. You'll need to let it set before wearing the rings. It will be somewhat like soldering, but not damaging to the surfaces of the metal.

Myself, I thinks a properly soldered or laser welded set of shanks would be almost invisible if done by a good jeweler. Such work does not destroy the value or the look.

Mems20

Rough_Rock
I have a “speed bump” instead of sizing beads on my e ring. It doesn’t stop spinning entirely, but it helps a lot, and I don't notice it at all. It makes the ring fit a little tighter, but I spin it so the bump is on the side of my finger when putting my ring on and off. I've also had this post about a sizing "pillow" bookmarked for future reference. https://www.pricescope.com/communit...rprise-and-delight-size-5.270754/post-5082576

I might try this on the e ring to see if reducing spinning, and making it just a little tighter, helps the other 2 stay put.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you don’t want them soldered a jeweller could make like a clip to go at the back, ie removable, and the extra thickness will help stop the spinning and keep them lined up.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some interesting and creative suggestions. I like what @Bron357 suggested, maybe a custom clip of some kind?
The only sure way to keep all of these rings lined up perfectly together would be to solder them together, which I know you don’t want to do. It’s so annoying to constantly have to fidget with adjusting rings, I hope you can find a solution.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
You can use use e6000 because it isn't permanent while you figure out what you want to do. A little blob along the bottom or two on the sides like speed bumps on the shank after curing will keep them in place. Over time it will start to lift, just pull it off and reapply.

lavenderdragonfly23

Shiny_Rock
I have sizing beads on my aquamarine ring and I LOTHE them. I’m thinking about having them removed for speed bumps. Just throwing that out there.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@momma2boys , it should not be that hard for a jeweler to join the outside bands into a ring guard. My ring guard has just three pieces of metal soldered on the back. IMG_2300.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2301.jpeg
    IMG_2301.jpeg
    250.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2299.jpeg
    IMG_2299.jpeg
    235.6 KB · Views: 13

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you don’t want them soldered a jeweller could make like a clip to go at the back, ie removable, and the extra thickness will help stop the spinning and keep them lined up.

I've seen something like this years ago. Kind of like this but maybe a bit flatter
Screenshot 2024-05-02 110627.png

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
@Inked if you get a chance can you please show what you do to keep your rings in place. Thank you!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
So, I have this issue with a few rings and it makes me nuts. I have complained to @peppermintpatty about it.

I have 2 solutions. you may not like the second one... hahahaha

The first one that I have told Patty definitely helps may be too late for you... I make the back of my bands *minimum* 3mm wide, preferably 3.5mm. You dont see it from the front as I have it taper back to the thinner 2mm but it really does help and make a difference. It may be too late for that. For *some* rings that method cant work.

The second one... well... for my finger shape, rings are round, but i need them to be oval. So, i make them oval. It no longer spins and I can still get it over my knuckle. It looks no different. I accomplished this by hitting it with a rubber mallet. I hear the collective gasp. I KNOW. I know... but you have NO IDEA how annoying it is to have it spinning constantly. I don't know if a jeweler could do that concept in a more professional manner.. LOL.

It really works, because my issue is my knuckle is bigger than the lower finger part, with the oval shape it goes easily over my knuckle, but hugs the lower part of my finger

Here's a before (round) and after (oval), i love my oval shape rings... also, the INSIDE needs to be oval, there are rings that the outside is squared off, that does nothing, it's the INSIDE that needs to be oval.

Again, DO NOT hit a pave ring with a mallet!! if you think it would work, see if a jeweler can professionally make it oval. I have 3 oval shaped, the rest have the wide 3mm-3.5mm backs, or "Fat bottom rings" as David Klass and I affectionately call them... LOL!!

IMG_0283.jpg

If you are wondering if the oval is your shape... for me, when i look at my ring i can actually see a space between my finger and the ring. So i tested it out with a cheap silver ring i didn't care about.

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
@Inked thank you! Your descriptions are always so detailed and the pictures are very helpful! Idk how you come up with all of the creative ideas you have, but it always amazes me! Your mind must never slow down!!!! I learn so much from you!

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
So, I have this issue with a few rings and it makes me nuts. I have complained to @peppermintpatty about it.

I have 2 solutions. you may not like the second one... hahahaha

The first one that I have told Patty definitely helps may be too late for you... I make the back of my bands *minimum* 3mm wide, preferably 3.5mm. You dont see it from the front as I have it taper back to the thinner 2mm but it really does help and make a difference. It may be too late for that. For *some* rings that method cant work.

The second one... well... for my finger shape, rings are round, but i need them to be oval. So, i make them oval. It no longer spins and I can still get it over my knuckle. It looks no different. I accomplished this by hitting it with a rubber mallet. I hear the collective gasp. I KNOW. I know... but you have NO IDEA how annoying it is to have it spinning constantly. I don't know if a jeweler could do that concept in a more professional manner.. LOL.

It really works, because my issue is my knuckle is bigger than the lower finger part, with the oval shape it goes easily over my knuckle, but hugs the lower part of my finger

Here's a before (round) and after (oval), i love my oval shape rings... also, the INSIDE needs to be oval, there are rings that the outside is squared off, that does nothing, it's the INSIDE that needs to be oval.

Again, DO NOT hit a pave ring with a mallet!! if you think it would work, see if a jeweler can professionally make it oval. I have 3 oval shaped, the rest have the wide 3mm-3.5mm backs, or "Fat bottom rings" as David Klass and I affectionately call them... LOL!!

IMG_0283.jpg

If you are wondering if the oval is your shape... for me, when i look at my ring i can actually see a space between my finger and the ring. So i tested it out with a cheap silver ring i didn't care about.

This is fascinating. Which direction do you wear this on your finger? E/W or N/S? Have you done it with solitaires or only with bands? I have fairly knuckly hands and my mom needs at least 1.5 sizes bigger for her knuckles so she's looking into arthritic shanks, horseshoes, etc. I just do the little telephone cord spirals for now but I'm interested in other options, especially for an engagement ring and wedding band when the time comes....

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
@Inked thank you! Your descriptions are always so detailed and the pictures are very helpful! Idk how you come up with all of the creative ideas you have, but it always amazes me! Your mind must never slow down!!!! I learn so much from you!

I was like "OMG, am I really going to admit on PriceScope that I hit my rings with a rubber mallet??" :lol-2:

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
This is fascinating. Which direction do you wear this on your finger? E/W or N/S? Have you done it with solitaires or only with bands? I have fairly knuckly hands and my mom needs at least 1.5 sizes bigger for her knuckles so she's looking into arthritic shanks, horseshoes, etc. I just do the little telephone cord spirals for now but I'm interested in other options, especially for an engagement ring and wedding band when the time comes....

East - West. I took a pic and you can see there's still a space.

IMG_0285.jpg

The thing is, my FINGER is a 4... my KNUCKLE is 4.5. Obviously it's too big on my finger after getting over my knuckle and will have space no matter what if i want it to get over my knuckle, but having the space on the sides instead of all around stops the spinning. So the oval shape causes the ring to stop spinning because it's tighter in the front and back and the gap is now on the sides, but it cant spin because its "tighter" to my finger.... I don't know that this "oval shape" thing a good idea or anything, but it definitely works for me... LOL!!

I had a 24kt pink sapphire solitaire ring that was the first victim of the mallet. It spun so bad i actually hated it. My ex had given it to me so i was HAPPY to smash it with a mallet (i kid, it was a gentle tap... hahaha) anyway, that was the first time i tried it.

I have considered asking David to just make it this way for me but I never went through with it.,,, and I mean, at this point, i've gotten really good with the mallet.

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was like "OMG, am I really going to admit on PriceScope that I hit my rings with a rubber mallet??" :lol-2:

Gave me a shudder I must admit - lol!

momma2boys

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all SO much! I knew I’d get help by posting. And silly me for thinking I could find an easy fix on Amazon :lol:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I had my ering and band soldiered and sizing balls put in place and it never moved again :D.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I dunno, those little plastic spirals work really well for me and they are so much easier — and reversible — than the other options here lol

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
I dunno, those little plastic spirals work really well for me and they are so much easier — and reversible — than the other options here lol

Plus maybe a wider spiral could be used to 'tie' the rings together so they move as a unit. But don't worry, @Inked, I think your oval idea is fabulous! If I ever have a cheap silver ring, I'm going to give it a go.

momma2boys

Shiny_Rock

I did try those and, unfortunately, they made my rings fit tighter on my finger, which I didn’t want. :confused2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results