shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions about grading reports

Jjab

Rough_Rock
I'm beginning my process of looking for a lab diamond. I've noticed that IGI reports contain a plot showing where the inclusions are, but that GIA reports often don't. Is there a reason the GIA reports don't include this, and is a plot showing inclusions necessary/recommended? I've also noticed that the GIA reports don't contain detail about the inclusions, just that there is a growth remnant. Is it best to have more detail on the type of inclusion and where it is? For reference, I'm looking in the VS1 to VVS2 range. In addition, I've notice that the IGI reports will note that the diamond shows no evidence of treatment, but I haven't seen that language on GIA reports. Is that language something GIA does not include (or perhaps all the GIA stones I've looked at are treated and that's why the language isn't in the report)?

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock

GIA currently includes inclusion plots and information on growth method/treatment on the full report. Some sellers opt for the lower priced dossier which does not include the inclusion plot and information on growth method/treatment.

Personally I don’t think the inclusion plots and information on growth method/treatment are absolutely necessary. It’s easier to ID VS1 stones by the inscriptions and properly grown HPHT/CVD diamonds look and perform similarly. Lab diamonds with growth defects, commonly pink/brown/grey tint and straining/stria for CVD and blue/grey tint and phosphorescence for HPHT, make it relatively easy to infer the growth method.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results