shape
carat
color
clarity

Smartest way to set opal?

Hello all,

I'm tentatively planning a design for my black opal. I have a sort of unique halo in mind, but I keep going back and forth as to which would be safer... bezel setting or prong setting. Naturally, a bezel would provide more protection in the long run, but I worry about the actual setting process. I'm fairly new to opals (as far as owning, but I've studied them). Do most folks bezel? Is that pretty standard with opals? Or do most prong set? Orrr is it split? TIA!

Autumn

Noooo no bezel for that gorgeous stone

You have so many rings are you really going to bang it around to the point where you need a bezel?

I have an irrational hatred of bezels though………

Same! I feel like no matter how well-executed, I'm losing visible surface area.
nuts.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Caysie was leery of bezelling any of mine for exactly the same reason - worry about the setting process! She felt that any metal “safe” to use to bezel my opals, like silver or high-karat gold, probably wouldn’t be strong enough to keep them secure.

I vote prongs, a halo will be protective and prongs will both give you peace of mind during mounting and show off more of your stone!! ::)

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I've bezelled mine in 18K yellow gold. But mostly because that's my go-to style. Also, it's conventional for a man's ring. I trust my jeweller - I had him bezel an emerald, which much have given him conniptions!

But for you, I think prongs and a halo would (besides being safer) look spectacular and show off the opal better.

missyc

Rough_Rock
I love bezels, but I also vote prongs for opals! I have boulder opal bezel ring and a black opal prong-set ring. I definitely prefer my prong-set ring more! (and maybe because of the quality of the stone :lol:)

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm an inveterate bezeler for my own very hard and durable stones but vote for prongs in this case. And I agree: hard to go wrong with a halo and it will offer some protection.

My late Mom and late aunt had prong-set opal rings. Neither would turn heads here (the rings, that is) but in each case it was as close to a "signature" piece as they (or we) were likely to get.

The only bezel-set opals that spouse has are tiny triangular studs (maybe 4mm per side) and at that price-point I could afford in our newlywed days it would not have been a high-risk endeavor to set them. They were from a "high-end" craft gallery in the 90s so, although they are handmade, they could even be doublets.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
I vote prongs and halo as well, although my motivation is slightly different. I know you aren't going to do the boring old halo with boring old white diamonds. Eh? No, nah, you'll do something spectacular with colours that complement the opal. And the whole ring will have a theme and will elicit feelings and associations, and I must see this before I die.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Opals are lowish on the MoHo scale but not brittle. General “dust” has an high proportion of silica with an hardness of 7 and Opals are 5 to 6.5 so abrasion is more likely over time than chipping at the girdle. Of course a decent accidental whack can chip any gem.
Opals in rings, in my opinion and I adore Opals, are best kept for careful wear /special occasion wear.
And definitely go for a halo with coloured gems that pick out the colours within the Opal. Diamond halos are beautiful but way too common and your special Opal deserves the best.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well personally I would worry about putting a bezel around an opal but then again I'm not a big bezel person. I also have to admit that I had a gorgeous black opal ruined when prong setting so there is that. I'm no help, lol.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would do prongs since you have to destroy a bezel to remove the stone. You never know if you have to remove it. I also like seeing the sides of my gems. If you’re that worried about damaging your opal in a prong setting for a ring, I would do a pendant.

Caysie was leery of bezelling any of mine for exactly the same reason - worry about the setting process! She felt that any metal “safe” to use to bezel my opals, like silver or high-karat gold, probably wouldn’t be strong enough to keep them secure.

I vote prongs, a halo will be protective and prongs will both give you peace of mind during mounting and show off more of your stone!! ::)

This was just what I was hoping to hear (as I prefer prongs)! Thank you!!

Well, I've bezelled mine in 18K yellow gold. But mostly because that's my go-to style. Also, it's conventional for a man's ring. I trust my jeweller - I had him bezel an emerald, which much have given him conniptions!

But for you, I think prongs and a halo would (besides being safer) look spectacular and show off the opal better.

I vastly prefer bezeling on men's jewelry as well. But I agree on the prongs and halo for this stone. Thank you for the vote!

I love bezels, but I also vote prongs for opals! I have boulder opal bezel ring and a black opal prong-set ring. I definitely prefer my prong-set ring more! (and maybe because of the quality of the stone :lol:)

I would love to see your rings if you're inclined to share! :kiss2:

My late Mom and late aunt had prong-set opal rings. Neither would turn heads here (the rings, that is)...

I'm glad you qualified that statement.
happy%20hearts.gif

As Starstruck8 said, I feel like men's rings were meant for bezeling... it's a brawny, robust sort of look.
arniesmile.gif

I vote prongs and halo as well, although my motivation is slightly different. I know you aren't going to do the boring old halo with boring old white diamonds. Eh? No, nah, you'll do something spectacular with colours that complement the opal. And the whole ring will have a theme and will elicit feelings and associations, and I must see this before I die.

Oh man, now I don't want to disappoint!
nworthy2.gif

Opals are lowish on the MoHo scale but not brittle. General “dust” has an high proportion of silica with an hardness of 7 and Opals are 5 to 6.5 so abrasion is more likely over time than chipping at the girdle. Of course a decent accidental whack can chip any gem.
Opals in rings, in my opinion and I adore Opals, are best kept for careful wear /special occasion wear.
And definitely go for a halo with coloured gems that pick out the colours within the Opal. Diamond halos are beautiful but way too common and your special Opal deserves the best.

This is sage advice... I always worry about opals losing their luster due to scuffing!

Well personally I would worry about putting a bezel around an opal but then again I'm not a big bezel person. I also have to admit that I had a gorgeous black opal ruined when prong setting so there is that. I'm no help, lol.

I'm so sorry to hear that! I remember back in the day, I bought a huge, deeply saturated morganite (that's when I thought it was a high-end gem... lol... no offense to any pink beryl lovers out there). I had it set, and the jeweler's prong pusher slipped and gauged the entire length of the table. Oh it was gruesome!

I would do prongs since you have to destroy a bezel to remove the stone. You never know if you have to remove it. I also like seeing the sides of my gems. If you’re that worried about damaging your opal in a prong setting for a ring, I would do a pendant.

Yeah, that didn't even occur to me... you lose the side view of the stone as well when you bezel. I'm going to do prongs as everyone suggests and just *try* to be extra gentle.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry to hear that! I remember back in the day, I bought a huge, deeply saturated morganite (that's when I thought it was a high-end gem... lol... no offense to any pink beryl lovers out there). I had it set, and the jeweler's prong pusher slipped and gauged the entire length of the table. Oh it was gruesome!

That's exactly what happened. A big gouge right through the stone. It can happen to the best of them as the setter was my jeweler's most trusted bench. I still mourn for that opal to this day.

Now, please be warned that my boulder opal really doesn't compare to my black opal. It is just a fun ring I got as a present :cool2:

1000077072.jpg

1000077073.jpg

1000077074.jpg

Your black opal looks like earth! It's so gorgeous and bright. One thing I have to say about boulder opal though, even though it's more common and not as valuable... it has a unique iridescent indigo shade that is just so pleasing to me. I have this pendant (it's huge - around 4" including the bail) from Native American designer Artie Yellowhorse. The stone doesn't make it particularly collectible, per se, but I love the color so much... there's something enigmatic and mysterious about it.

Boulder opal snowflake pendant on silver large beaded collar necklace.JPG

That's exactly what happened. A big gouge right through the stone. It can happen to the best of them as the setter was my jeweler's most trusted bench. I still mourn for that opal to this day.

That is the stuff gem-collecting nightmares are made of... I'm so sorry. It's far easier to replace a morganite than a precious black opal. Did you ever buy another?

missyc

Rough_Rock
Your black opal looks like earth! It's so gorgeous and bright. One thing I have to say about boulder opal though, even though it's more common and not as valuable... it has a unique iridescent indigo shade that is just so pleasing to me. I have this pendant (it's huge - around 4" including the bail) from Native American designer Artie Yellowhorse. The stone doesn't make it particularly collectible, per se, but I love the color so much... there's something enigmatic and mysterious about it.

Boulder opal snowflake pendant on silver large beaded collar necklace.JPG

Yes, they do have a beauty of their own! Would you care to show us your black opal?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results