shape
carat
color
clarity

Talk to me about peices that "got away"

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
GemView, that is such a cool ring! I love the grapes.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Can I add my happy ending to this thread?

I saw a necklace just like this one at NY JaWS a decade or so ago and didn't buy it because it seemed too expensive (I don't even remember how much they were asking). It's a multi-gemstone harlequin necklace from c. the 1880s. For years I kicked myself for passing it up. I kept looking and saw many similar necklaces, but never the same one, with a ropy, 3D chain and lovely irregular natural stones in their delicate crown settings.

Then last week, @Paisley2628 told me she was considering selling her Victorian harlequin necklace--and it was just like the one that got away! She generously allowed me to buy it. I could not be happier!

And she even sold me a companion bracelet!

Edited to add:
Moral: Don't give up hope! Your dream piece may reappear someday.

IMG_7971.jpeg

Last edited:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock

I saw a necklace just like this one at NY JaWS a decade or so ago and didn't buy it because it seemed too expensive (I don't even remember how much they were asking). It's a multi-gemstone harlequin necklace from c. the 1880s. For years I kicked myself for passing it up. I kept looking and saw many similar necklaces, but never the same one, with a ropy, 3D chain and lovely irregular natural stones in their delicate crown settings.

Then last week, @Paisley2628 told me she was considering selling her Victorian harlequin necklace--and it was just like the one that got away! She generously allowed me to buy it. I could not be happier!

Edited to add:

IMG_7971.jpeg

The best feeling! I love it, and I'll bet the set looks especially divine twinkling in the sun.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock

Edited to add:

IMG_7971.jpeg

Aww this is such a beautiful story and deserves to be shared here as well https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-ps-treasures.271409/

I love the PS community in finding and recycling bling! Everyone gets a bit of love :kiss2:

Nevish

Rough_Rock
There was a diamond that Alex Park posted probably years ago at this point. It had crazy kozibe, not a large diamond but man, I would have loved to own it. @lovedogs maybe you remember it? I know I shared it here but I couldn’t find the post despite searching.

Then there is this ring, it was posted for sale on IG, a jewelry seller on IG bought it and then listed out of my price range. Georgian reproduction with pink sapphire and old cut diamonds, I think the diamonds were from a brooch originally. Would have loved to own this but was not meant to be:

3D6F506B-E777-4B0C-B278-AF29D4948784.jpeg

Maybe it was this--which is also my One Who Got Away https://www.pricescope.com/communit...arks-insta-earlier-today.260467/#post-4833668

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Only two things.

One was a fancy white from leibish. It had the perfect bluish white hue with flashes of orange. I think it was $17k for 1.5 carats and I just couldn’t get over the price - was snapped up when it went on sale.

In ny hunt for an OMC - this still haunts me. It was 30k in cash and was bought by a dealer. This is truly the one that got away and I always have it in the back of my mind

IMG_0755.jpeg IMG_0756.jpeg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I have one that just happened! I’m so mad at myself. A really thick curb bracelet has been on my wish list. I don’t aggressively look anymore, but I happened upon one last night. It was still expensive even though it was actually the cost of scrap value. But it weighed almost 40 g. I hesitated, but went back this morning to look and it’s gone. It’s on my waitlist in case the person returns it, but I doubt they will.

IMG_0211.jpeg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
The brown was 1ct and around 5- 5.5 mm if i recall correctly. The larger J color was 1.81 cts so I’m guessing around 6.5-7mm range. I really hope to recreate someday. French cuts above 1 ct seem to be nonexistent.

Dolly is selling some larger French cuts tonight!

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock

Dolly is selling some larger French cuts tonight!

Thank you! They are so pretty but a bit too small unfortunately. I’m hoping for a single stone over 1 ct

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! So pretty. I’m tempted to scoop up that .70 but I really want one that’s 1+ cts

I misunderstood her earlier story and thought one of them was 1.19 but now realize she meant the pair. Oops!

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I misunderstood her earlier story and thought one of them was 1.19 but now realize she meant the pair. Oops!

I was close to scooping one up anyways. Those frenchies were gorgeous. Thank you for remembering that I was after a French cut and sharing!

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I missed out on a moval a few months ago and I’m still having a total meltdown. It was about 5k over what I have allocated to the bling fund. I knew if I discussed with my husband I could make it happen but I was being stubborn and held off. He had just surprised me with my brownie for Christmas so I didn’t want to ask. I finally brought it up but it was sold when I went to buy it. I do reverse image searches morning and night. It was a 4.5 ct super enlongated Moval. IF clarity and WX color with a large culet and 18mm spread- $20k. I totally missed out and have been pouting for months. I think it’s a unicorn but if anyone happens to come across anything please message me on loupe troop.

<a href="http://loupetroop.com/listings/other/contact-for-mjay-on-ps;44987">Contact for MJAY on PS on Loupe Troop</a>

-antique style moval or marquise
-3 ish carats (prefer 4 but likely not doable in my budget)
- prefer end of alphabet, yellowish brown, orangy brown, maybe strong fluorescence. Just something yellowish or unique. Open to whiter though if cut is there.
- decent clarity preferably VS+
- large open culet (open not a long “butt crack” culet)
- newly cut is fine
- around 10-15k. Can do a bit higher but I’ll have to discuss with the husband.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! So pretty. I’m tempted to scoop up that .70 but I really want one that’s 1+ cts

.70 really might not scratch the itch. When I was looking a french cut for my ring, I was hoping to find at least 1 ct. for the center. Yoram didn't have the right rough to cut me anything larger than .70 ct which came in at 4.8 mm. So just make sure that something under 5 mm will make you happy.

lavenderdragonfly23

Shiny_Rock
I missed out on a moval a few months ago and I’m still having a total meltdown. It was about 5k over what I have allocated to the bling fund. I knew if I discussed with my husband I could make it happen but I was being stubborn and held off. He had just surprised me with my brownie for Christmas so I didn’t want to ask. I finally brought it up but it was sold when I went to buy it. I do reverse image searches morning and night. It was a 4.5 ct super enlongated Moval. IF clarity and WX color with a large culet and 18mm spread- $20k. I totally missed out and have been pouting for months. I think it’s a unicorn but if anyone happens to come across anything please message me on loupe troop.

<a href="http://loupetroop.com/listings/other/contact-for-mjay-on-ps;44987">Contact for MJAY on PS on Loupe Troop</a>

- prefer end of alphabet, yellowish brown, orangy brown, maybe strong fluorescence. Just something yellowish or unique. Open to whiter though if cut is there.
- newly cut is fine

I completely understand how you feel. I think I will always be sad about missing out on a 3.45 I/IF Old Euro set in the most perfect Edwardian setting ever. Sigh.
Everything happens for a reason

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I completely understand how you feel. I think I will always be sad about missing out on a 3.45 I/IF Old Euro set in the most perfect Edwardian setting ever. Sigh.
Everything happens for a reason

I remember reading your comment about that ring. My heart sank when I read it. We are definitely in the same boat. It’s such an icky feeling. Old cuts are so unique to that it makes it difficult to find a suitable replacement. It sucks because I have a few loose gemstones to set but I don’t want to spend a penny in a case something similar to my moval pops up. I finally saw something similar yesterday and got super excited but the price was just not good for the specs.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
There was a diamond that Alex Park posted probably years ago at this point. It had crazy kozibe, not a large diamond but man, I would have loved to own it. @lovedogs maybe you remember it? I know I shared it here but I couldn’t find the post despite searching.

Then there is this ring, it was posted for sale on IG, a jewelry seller on IG bought it and then listed out of my price range. Georgian reproduction with pink sapphire and old cut diamonds, I think the diamonds were from a brooch originally. Would have loved to own this but was not meant to be:

3D6F506B-E777-4B0C-B278-AF29D4948784.jpeg

Saw this on same person’s IG today and thought of this ring.

IMG_0396.png

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mreader, thank you I have seen that one and it is so pretty. It’s one of those things that if it’s not the original, it won’t scratch the itch but I do love the play of colors in this ring :kiss2:

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

- newly cut is fine

You likely know this already but I’ve seen nice Movals on Parks Fine Group Instagram. He does lower colors and modern cut antiques fairly frequently so you are not necessarily waiting for the antique Movals that are impossibly rare. If I were looking for such a piece I’d reach out to him with your specs and budget which would be a nice sale for him so -maybe- he’d keep his eyes out. I’m sorry you lost our on your dream Moval but you may still find another yet!

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
You likely know this already but I’ve seen nice Movals on Parks Fine Group Instagram. He does lower colors and modern cut antiques fairly frequently so you are not necessarily waiting for the antique Movals that are impossibly rare. If I were looking for such a piece I’d reach out to him with your specs and budget which would be a nice sale for him so -maybe- he’d keep his eyes out. I’m sorry you lost our on your dream Moval but you may still find another yet!

Thank you! He’s definitely on my radar. I do agree that he’s the perfect person to find it. I’m just a bit concerned about my budget. I feel like I need to increase it a bit before reaching out.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

- newly cut is fine

Here’s a Moissy “old mine Moval” in warm color that this company is doing. I wonder if they would do lab for you. Just throwing ideas out there, I know they are taboo in this forum.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results