carat
color
clarity

Asscher Cut search, help!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good video, thanks for posting!

Can you take another video with a coloured background behind it? Perhaps red? It would help to identify leakage :))

And under different lights? Perhaps one outdoors under a cloudy sky (holding it over a large bowel for safety!!) and one underneath spotlights?

I have to admit, I'm not super-keen on the area under the table at the moment - the facet pattern is nice and it seems to have a bit of that 'hall of mirrors' effect, but there is not much bright light return.

-Asscher-

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Latest update....
I just came home from the appraiser and she said the stone is definitely worth to keep! It’s a beautiful stone with no hazy or milky.
She has an Asscher Cut diamond ring on her finger too and it was gorgeous! We put them side by side hers and mine, it was equally beautiful!
She found the cloud and it was located on the side, it won’t be visible with the loupe or microscope from the top or the bottom.
The appraisal paperwork will be done in 1-2 weeks from today.
As for now that’s all I think I need to know in order to make decision to keep or not.

-Asscher-

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Good video, thanks for posting!

Can you take another video with a coloured background behind it? Perhaps red? It would help to identify leakage :))

And under different lights? Perhaps one outdoors under a cloudy sky (holding it over a large bowel for safety!!) and one underneath spotlights?

I have to admit, I'm not super-keen on the area under the table at the moment - the facet pattern is nice and it seems to have a bit of that 'hall of mirrors' effect, but there is not much bright light return.
Okay I’ll try to make more video of it with red background, outdoor under a cloudy sky and underneath spotlight when I’m done with my dentist appointment.
How to tell if there is any leakage with red background?

Last edited:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Came with GIA certificate.
I took it to 2 local diamond store yesterday and they said doesn’t have sign of hazy or milky.
Anyone can tell me where I can get appraiser in Maryland area?
This is a short video I took yesterday, please excuse the background noise:mrgreen2:
Asscher Cut Diamond
The video does help. The good news is that it looks crisp white and the steps seem to move well. What *I don’t like is that it looks fairly dead in the center, and there doesn’t seem to be many flashes of colored light other than the L and R perimeter. Mine can throw the most incredible pastel flashes of light over the whole stone. Have you seen this stone do that?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hahahahahaha

Re-reading that, I think perhaps holding it over a bowl would be a better idea than holding it over a bowel... :lol:

Okay I’ll try to make more video of it with red background, outdoor under a cloudy sky and underneath spotlight when I’m done with my dentist appointment.
How to tell if there is any leakage with red background?
If a stone has any leakage or windowing, you will be able to see the red through the stone. If it is reflecting all the light from the top back to your eyes, you won't be able to see any red :)

Leakage is not always bad, but it does have to work as part of the overall facet pattern ad light performance :)

-Asscher-

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The video does help. The good news is that it looks crisp white and the steps seem to move well. What *I don’t like is that it looks fairly dead in the center, and there doesn’t seem to be many flashes of colored light other than the L and R perimeter. Mine can throw the most incredible pastel flashes of light over the whole stone. Have you seen this stone do that?
I agree with you!
I like this stone BUT I don’t love it:lol:
My first asscher even is small carat but still I can see more brighter and more lively with dancing flashes.

I was hoping with a little bigger size I will see more flashes etc from it than my smaller asscher but this just “not the one yet”

I contacted the seller yesterday to told him I’m returning the stone.

-Asscher-

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@OoohShiny,
bowel.....:lol::lol-2::lol::lol-2:

What can I use the best for making the video for the red background?

-Asscher-

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@OoohShiny,

I tried my best but not so good videos
Here it is:
Red background
Under spotlight
Rainy day

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good videos! :))

You can see quite a lot of red through the stone in the first one, even straight-on to the camera. All stones have some leakage at some angles, and as mentioned, it's not always a bad thing, but I think in this stone it is causing too much leakage and therefore reducing any sparkle/flashes under the table.

It's not an unattractive stone when static, but then they are not static when worn :) lol

Sorry this one didn't work out, let's see what else we can find!

-Asscher-

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Good videos! :))

You can see quite a lot of red through the stone in the first one, even straight-on to the camera. All stones have some leakage at some angles, and as mentioned, it's not always a bad thing, but I think in this stone it is causing too much leakage and therefore reducing any sparkle/flashes under the table.

It's not an unattractive stone when static, but then they are not static when worn :) lol

Sorry this one didn't work out, let's see what else we can find!
Yes I’m glad I didn’t keep this stone.

Have many more to pick from :mrgreen2:

-Asscher-

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I wanted to say THANK YOU!!! to everyone here that have been very helpful!
Your time, opinion, suggestions and support. :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::wavey:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
D6C00B86-61E4-4370-867C-B76C2A865DBF.jpeg The searching has come to an end! ;)2
Another stone arrived and I’m loving it. Doesn’t matter this time is not meet my standards I just love the whole look of it LOL :lol:
1.90ct I-SI1.

Congratulations!!! Wear her in good health!!! Please post more photos, after it’s set! We need hand shots!!! :kiss2:

-Asscher-

Shiny_Rock
Premium
94B99109-4EC8-4110-A3F5-A2C7656973B2.png CDA21432-8880-40D8-A719-6EB18B40E11C.png 79E82F78-07CB-4D40-B2F1-E800D611AA6C.jpeg 24E20B36-9B35-4B0F-B01E-730E3AEC66EE.jpeg
Congratulations!!! Wear her in good health!!! Please post more photos, after it’s set! We need hand shots!!! :kiss2:
@Matthews1127,
Missed you!!!:P2 How are you doing?
Thank you! I bought the setting at the diamond show event but still not set yet, not 100% sure if the setting is perfect for an Asscher Cut?
Would love you and anyone thought about it?
( I really love the setting itself and I love my asscher but not sure if asscher can look good with the setting’s style??? )

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
94B99109-4EC8-4110-A3F5-A2C7656973B2.png CDA21432-8880-40D8-A719-6EB18B40E11C.png 79E82F78-07CB-4D40-B2F1-E800D611AA6C.jpeg 24E20B36-9B35-4B0F-B01E-730E3AEC66EE.jpeg
@Matthews1127,
Missed you!!!:P2 How are you doing?
Thank you! I bought the setting at the diamond show event but still not set yet, not 100% sure if the setting is perfect for an Asscher Cut?
Would love you and anyone thought about it?
( I really love the setting itself and I love my asscher but not sure if asscher can look good with the setting’s style??? )

Since you asked, I think the setting is a bit overwhelming for the Asscher; Asschers have such sleek lines, and I think simple is better. Simple, not necessarily plain. I’m also not a fan of halos, but that’s just me.
Going with an elegant, classic style would be a good start to reset that beauty!
I’m well, thank you for asking! Not sure how I missed your update, but I’m glad I checked in! I was hoping you’d found your new Asscher! You seem pleased, and for great reason!
Congratulations, again!!
Please share your ideas for your setting with us!! :mrgreen2:
Feel free to post more photos!!! :lol-2:

-Asscher-

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Since you asked, I think the setting is a bit overwhelming for the Asscher; Asschers have such sleek lines, and I think simple is better. Simple, not necessarily plain. I’m also not a fan of halos, but that’s just me.
Going with an elegant, classic style would be a good start to reset that beauty!
I’m well, thank you for asking! Not sure how I missed your update, but I’m glad I checked in! I was hoping you’d found your new Asscher! You seem pleased, and for great reason!
Congratulations, again!!
Please share your ideas for your setting with us!! :mrgreen2:
Feel free to post more photos!!! :lol-2:

Glad you doing well :kiss2:

My mission to get a second Asscher is for right hand ring and I know and I like asscher with more simple and elegant setting too so the center stone can stand out more but since my engagement set already simple so I really want something a bit bling on the right finger :mrgreen2:
So I still can’t make decision.
( In my heart I know asscher is best with simple elegant setting but my eyes itchy want to see bling bling on my other finger, what should I do? )
HELP!? :(2

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats with your gorgeous Asscher!!! What a beauty.
Since you asked, I do not really like the setting with your Asscher because of the following reasons:
- the setting does not do the beautiful clipped corners of your stone justice
- the head of the setting towers aboce the halo instead of being part of the halo
- it is quite busy and takes away from your center stone.

Victor Canera has set my zircon Asscher in a three-sided diamond halo ring that is blingy yet subtle in terms of design. PSer Lovey has a similar ring from Leon Mege. If you do not have much budget left after purchasing the stone, I would personally set it in a very simple temporary setting

-Asscher-

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Can anyone tell me if Asscher Cut with 1.05 ratio will look rectangle?
Is it going to be a bad choice to get 1.05 ratio?

Last edited:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s BEAUTIFUL :love::love::love:

I still can’t make decision for the setting. Might just gonna go with temporary setting for now like you said.

Love these!!
I agree; if the budget is too tight, right now, a temp setting is best, until you can put the money together, and make a clear decision on what you want.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
DF1AB3F3-F8BF-43EC-BC3C-937892017592.jpeg Mine is 1.04. It does not look rectangular but the off-square is apparent to me. I sometimes wish I had gone 1.00 and other times I like it this way.

-Asscher-

Shiny_Rock
Premium
EAF870C0-44C6-442D-AE50-2FE3AC6BBC4F.jpeg
No. It will look square. ;)2
@Matthews1127
Oh okay that’s great!!!
I decided to exchanged my new Asscher.
Here is the ASET for the newest, is it look good?
They said usually with step cut the center stone will show leakage but with this one they said consider very good because the center have red color in it.
Any opinion?

-Asscher-

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Love these!!
I agree; if the budget is too tight, right now, a temp setting is best, until you can put the money together, and make a clear decision on what you want.
Yes I agree!
Now I want to focus on the diamond first then setting after save up more $$$.

Last edited:

-Asscher-

Shiny_Rock
Premium
DF1AB3F3-F8BF-43EC-BC3C-937892017592.jpeg Mine is 1.04. It does not look rectangular but the off-square is apparent to me. I sometimes wish I had gone 1.00 and other times I like it this way.
Thank you for posting this! Your Asscher is gorgeous!!!
I can see what you mean but I wouldn’t mind if mine will look the same as yours. Is so beautiful Asscher!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
EAF870C0-44C6-442D-AE50-2FE3AC6BBC4F.jpeg
@Matthews1127
Oh okay that’s great!!!
I decided to exchanged my new Asscher.
Here is the ASET for the newest, is it look good?
They said usually with step cut the center stone will show leakage but with this one they said consider very good because the center have red color in it.
Any opinion?
Looks promising to me - good mix of reds, greens, blues and perhaps a little leakage at that angle.

If it's on hold with an online vendor, post a link to it for pictures and videos!

-Asscher-

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results