shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JustOne

Rough_Rock
First of all, I would like to say this is a great forum. I have been lurking for about a month and learned a lot already. I am in the market for an engagement ring with a budget of about $8,000 total. My girlfriend has shown great interest in the Asscher cut, solitaire platinum setting, so that is what I am seeking. I have no experience with diamonds other than what I have learned here in the past month.

I would like to ask a few questions.
1) The first one is stupid, but I have been unable to find a definitive answer - What is the correct pronunciation of Asscher?
2) Is it even reasonable for a novice to attempt to buy an Asscher without seeing it in person?
3) From various threads on here, I have come up with the following as desirable specs for the Asscher... VS2 or better, G or better, Table 55%-61%, Depth 66%-73%, Crown 10%-15%, LW close to 1. Does anyone have additional input on these numbers? Are there other parameters that I should be looking for?
4) From what I understand, even if the stone falls within the desirable parameters, it may not look so great in person. Why?

Thanks for reading. I would sincerely appreciate any advice that anyone can provide.

Your on the right track.
With asschers/se a good picture is worth a thousand words.
The numbers give you less than 20% of the info you need.

It is possible to buy awesome asschers over the net but you have to get one that is willing to provide enough information.
Id start with:

www.goodoldgold.com

and
www.whiteflash.com

Ok, lets see if I can help....

Answers:

1. The correct pronunciation if ash-er.

2. If you do your research, it is possible for a novice to buy a diamond over the net. Use your resources wisely. Everyone here is more than willing to help you...

3. Dont get so caught up on the numbers- use them simply as a guideline. You need to see the stone with your own eyes. What turns out to be a great performer can look like a dog initially when you look at its numbers.

4. I will let an expert chime in and answer this question...I am not really sure either...its just the way it is!!!

Good luck with your search! We are always here to help...

Date: 6/29/2005 3:03:54 PM
Author:JustOne

4) From what I understand, even if the stone falls within the desirable parameters, it may not look so great in person. Why?
because there are many different ''looks'' for square emerald (asscher) cuts.

(this pic is NOT an example of bad asscher cuts..it is just to show how they can be different, regardless of the numbers)

asschercomparison.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP