shape
carat
color
clarity

Black Rhodium plating a vintage ring

Pumpkin Sparkles

Shiny_Rock
I’m trying to find alternatives opposed to wearing my engagement ring to lessen the wear and tear probably just at home or when at a kids sports event.
I’ve purchased this sweet 10k white gold white facing little oec/transitional with engravings. It’s beautiful and I love the feel and style however I’ve always wanted to play around with black rhodium.
This was a very inexpensive purchase so it won’t hurt if I don’t like it. But any opinions or experience with black rhodium plating are welcome! Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• IMG_1862.jpeg
    IMG_1862.jpeg
    231.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1861.jpeg
    IMG_1861.jpeg
    243.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1863.jpeg
    IMG_1863.jpeg
    279.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I’m trying to find alternatives opposed to wearing my engagement ring to lessen the wear and tear probably just at home or when at a kids sports event.
I’ve purchased this sweet 10k white gold white facing little oec/transitional with engravings. It’s beautiful and I love the feel and style however I’ve always wanted to play around with black rhodium.
This was a very inexpensive purchase so it won’t hurt if I don’t like it. But any opinions or experience with black rhodium plating are welcome! Thanks for reading.

These aren’t vintage rings but…

My shank is made of 14kt. DJK actually recommended it over 18kt or pt. It’s still pretty black after 1.5 years.

@Neptune
Thank you! I wasn’t aware there was a thread.
10k may be to low of a carat, I was reading there may be durability issues with lower carat jewelry (chipping away because of the metal brittleness) I may just end up giving it to my daughter it fit her like Cinderella’s slipper.

@Neptune
Thank you! I wasn’t aware there was a thread.
10k may be to low of a carat, I was reading there may be durability issues with lower carat jewelry (chipping away because of the metal brittleness) I may just end up giving it to my daughter it fit her like Cinderella’s slipper.
Why not try it? You could either get it replated if it wears away, or just let it all go away over time? Check with DK and see what he says about using the 10k.

Why not try it? You could either get it replated if it wears away, or just let it all go away over time? Check with DK and see what he says about using the 10k.
You’re very right, he’s currently taking care of 2 projects for me at the moment but later after these 2 are out the way I will definitely ask! I should have thought of that.

I wanted to reply earlier but it was when PS was being weird after that update. I was going to say to look at this thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/keep-antiquing-or-not-poll.265422/#post-5354236 and this one:

I also got DK to put antiquing on a yg ring for me you can see here:

And then he did a wg one for me too. But for the wg, I actually ended up rubbing alot of it off with a sunshine cloth because it was too dark for me. It reminded me of tarnished sterling. I don't have pictures unfortunately! But I hope these threads can be helpful

Ok weird - when I posted links one of them posted normally and the other two in a weird way. This update is something else!

I wanted to reply earlier but it was when PS was being weird after that update. I was going to say to look at this thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/keep-antiquing-or-not-poll.265422/#post-5354236 and this one:

I also got DK to put antiquing on a yg ring for me you can see here:

And then he did a wg one for me too. But for the wg, I actually ended up rubbing alot of it off with a sunshine cloth because it was too dark for me. It reminded me of tarnished sterling. I don't have pictures unfortunately! But I hope these threads can be helpful

Thank you! I just browsed through some and I love that! Yours look amazing! Yea I can see white gold being dark. However, it looks amazing in yellow gold!:kiss2::kiss2:

Last edited:
You can also remove plating if you hate it.

You can also remove plating if you hate it.

Really, I didn’t know this.
I asked a jeweler if I could remove some plating off of a zircon ring (it was yellow gold at one point in its life before me) he said it wasn’t possible without destroying it. :twisted2:
Thank you for letting me know, I feel really disappointed, I’m pretty sure that was a nice way of saying I don’t want to mess with that.

Last edited:
Really, I didn’t know this.
I asked a jeweler if I could remove some plating off of a zircon ring (it was yellow gold at one point in its life before me) he said it wasn’t possible without destroying it. :twisted2:
Thank you for letting me know, I feel really disappointed, I’m pretty sure that was a nice way of saying I don’t want to mess with that.

Then maybe I am wrong! DK would know for sure.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP