shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Sapphire- Opinion Please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sasori

Shiny_Rock
Hi guys/gals,

1) Whats your view on this piece.
Unheated,
Round Cut,
Approx 2 ct
Eye Clean
Measurement Approx 7.3mm x 4.9mm?

How much would you pay for this piece?

2) How much will a round diamond cut differs from a normal round cut. Would it be advisable to re-cut the above into a diamond cut for greater brilliance? (assuming if I decides to buy)

Thanks in advance

blue bleu.jpg

Another view from the back

blue bleu2.jpg

Great brilliance means less color... reason why fancy color diamonds are rarely round. I wouldn''t recut unless the thing is badly crooked or badly windowed. Just IMO, of course.

Did you see the "Pad ring" thread ? The pictures taught me one the hard way: never try to imagine sapphire color from a picture! Those present a completely different object to me than the first batch of pictures taken of that ring. Completely different
7.gif
I assume te same would happen with this sapphire too.

Hi, Sasori:

I like it...and am very curious as to what they are asking...

I''m no expert, but here are my thoughts. I would expect to pay a slight premium because it is round (harder to find in sapphires and rubies), and of course because it is unheated. Is the stone certified? Do they state a country of origin?

Unless they''re "giving it away", I''d want to purchase it contingent on getting it certified untreated....and expect a substantial price reduction if it comes back treated.

I imagine the experts will chime in here, but it is my understanding that "diamond cuts" are designed to de-emphasize color, which is exactly what you DON''T want to do when cutting a colored gem. My guess is that most would strongly recommend NOT having the gem recut.

Good luck!

widget

"Never try to imagine sapphire color from a picture!"

Great point, Ana!

Yes Widget,
thats the thing that attracted me to this piece. I seldom find any round cut stone around, more often than not, those round cut stones are of a lighter sky blue color.

Said to be Thai in origin.

Hiyee Ana, saw the pad ring thread, I''m not a pad fan, then again haven seen any pad in real life before.
I do agree.. i bought some melee blues and from pics they look much lighter than actual stones. fantastic color these melees. 50 pieces of 3mm. Setting them into a tennis bracelet for my wife.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP