shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Topaz project

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bikergirl

Shiny_Rock
Hi all!

I have a project that I''m designing, and would like some opinions, please!

My DH has given me a very pretty blue topaz. I don''t know much about colored stones, so I can''t really attest to the quality. It does have some sort of certification, but it''s not sitting in front of me...

Anyway, it''s about 1.8 tcw, and is a marquise. I''m not a big marquise fan, but I love the color of the stone and would like to do something with it. He said I could make it into whatever I wanted!
36.gif

So I have a couple of thoughts.....

I originally thought about setting it into a rhr, but I already have an aquamarine ring that was given to me by my MIL. I don''t really want two rhr''s with blue stones. No particular reason....

So I''m thinking I could either make a bracelet or a pendant.

Bracelet thoughts.... a white gold bangle, fairly narrow (maybe 2 mm larger than the widest point of the stone). Set the stone so it''s pointing long-ways across my wrist, with three small rb diamonds on either side (so it''s tiny diamond, slightly larger diamond, slightly larger diamond, topaz, then progressively smaller diamonds on the other side). So the stones are all going across my wrist. Hope this is making sense.....

OR for a pendant, I was thinking of again setting it sideways (instead of pointing up/down), with some sort of filagree, or pave'' diamond pendant. Something really delicate, although I don''t really have a clear idea of what.

Any thoughts, suggestions, feedback?
33.gif

Hi there, do you have measurements of the stone, even approximates? That might be helpful. Do you want it to be a fairly formal or informal piece? Something you would just wear very occasionally or a few times a week? Setting it in a pendant sideways, surrounded by pave sounds different and fun though the pave would probably give it a more formal look. I personally would prefer a pendant, but that''s just me.
emsmile.gif

I really don''t know what I want....that''s the problem!
41.gif

Probably something to wear on special occasions (as opposed to regularly), just because I don''t wear a lot of jewelry. Although, since finding pscope, I''ve discovered I like jewelry more than I realized. hehe
31.gif
11.gif
31.gif

I''ll see if I can find the appraisal, and look for some dimensions. I am pretty sure it''s not an "ideal" cut marquise (if there is such a thing - are they graded that way?) because it seems kind of long and skiny. Which is actually another reason why I decided not to make it into a ring. If I set it E-W on a ring, it would pretty much cover my whole finger!

So you think something like this would look OK as a pendant on it''s own, without any additional bling? How would that work? Just a bezel-type set, with a loop for the chain?

HI BG:

Would you consider setting the marquise in the E-W orientation, w/g, antique delicate type setting, secured by a chain either side? (linear flow). I am not a jeweller and hence wonder if this would work, but it might depend on the depth of the marquise and subsequent setting.
Good luck--I am a fan of blue topaz!!!!

cheers--Sharon

Date: 12/3/2004 11
6.gif
7:25 PM
Author: Bikergirl
I really don''t know what I want....that''s the problem!
41.gif

Probably something to wear on special occasions (as opposed to regularly), just because I don''t wear a lot of jewelry. Although, since finding pscope, I''ve discovered I like jewelry more than I realized. hehe
31.gif
11.gif
31.gif

I''ll see if I can find the appraisal, and look for some dimensions. I am pretty sure it''s not an ''ideal'' cut marquise (if there is such a thing - are they graded that way?) because it seems kind of long and skiny. Which is actually another reason why I decided not to make it into a ring. If I set it E-W on a ring, it would pretty much cover my whole finger!

So you think something like this would look OK as a pendant on it''s own, without any additional bling? How would that work? Just a bezel-type set, with a loop for the chain?
I''m having a similar problem with a stone I own! How to set it? I keep trying to visualize the way I want it but I can''t quite grasp at what I want! Regarding the stone''s size, I was just trying to get an idea of how big the stone was since I know a 1.8 carat blue topaz isn''t going to look the same as a 1.8 carat diamond. I had originally thought it might get lost on a bracelet, especially as you move your hand around which is why I had sort of thought of pendant (but I''m a pendant kind of person!) I like Canuk-gal''s idea, especially if you want to stick with the east-west orientation and if you like an antique-kind of setting. Or, if you want to keep it really informal, just set it in a basket, with prongs, which just lets the stone stand on its own. It''s also probably the least expensive alternative.

I love blue topaz it can look so fantastic. I love the idea of the bangle. It sounds so pretty
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP