carat
color
clarity

bowtie effect - is that a nonissue?

pws

Rough_Rock
Hi, folks.

I'm thinking of buying an OMC stone.
It is my first time buying a shape other than round brilliant.
And apparently, there are some stuff you need to consider that you don't have to when buying a round brilliant.
A bowtie effect, for instance.
I'm guessing it is really not aesthetically pleasing but as far as light performance is concerned, is it a nonissue?
I'm asking because someone on the Internet posted these pictures and said that she was surprised to see the bowtie-looking dark patches in her OMC stone, but
those dark areas are also where she gets the big flashes of color.

IMG_4750.jpeg

IMG_4749.jpeg

IMG_4753.jpeg

And I'm confused about whether it is a bad thing to avoid or a nonissue in case you only care about light performance.

And what about fish eye effect in an OEC stone?
Is it something to avoid or a nonissue light-performance-wise?
Is it what causes something like the following picture - sparkly only around the edges with the center lifeless?

IMG_4754.jpeg

Thank you in advance :)

lol. Neither of those are well cut stones. The first does not look like a true antique and it is not desirable for half the table to go dark. Fish eye is not desirable. Does that diamond look pretty to you? I doubt it. You might want to do some reading in PS about old cuts. There’s so many threads explaining how to evaluate cut.

Feel free to post stones that you are considering here for assessment (preferably after you have time on hold bc there are lurkers on here).

Or, let us know what your parameters are-ctw, color, clarity, budget etc and we may be able to help you find a good one.

Btw, old cut centers usually have a pinwheel or floral patterns.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP