shape
carat
color
clarity

Crockpots revisited

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Crock pot = bliss

We started getting these things at the store called "Soup starters" - just the fresh, chopped veggies and herbs for soup and then you add broth or evap milk, or whatever is needed. I''m starting to do the recipes on my own now.

Meats are awesome - and I second Karl, I use mine in the summer. I hate using the oven to cook. Summer items like sloppy joes or pulled pork are killer.

I have the oval one (lower sides, easier to clean) by rival - it has high, low, and warm plus a timer. The timer is essential for me, since most stuff cooks for 4-6 hours. I know I can put something in there in the morning, and it will cook plus be warm and ready for dinner.

We also have a smaller one w/o any timer. It''s great for potlucks and dips (my gma used it to heat up mini-weenies at our housewarming - perfect!).

Totally worth the money. They''re great for the day when you''re really busy, you can just put all of your ingredients in and let it go.

TG --
I''ve just been plotting bringing ye olde Crock Pot out of its Summer Storage and back onto the counter. I *was* going to make chili as my first CP meal of the season but it turns out "chili" and "my stomach" are not friends anymore.
7.gif
BAH! DH should be relieved. He never liked it in the first place.
3.gif

My overall 2yrs later Crock Pot summary: I''ve used it less than I''d hoped but more than I expected. It did make for great pulled pork at a Superbowl Party!
18.gif

Date: 12/7/2008 2:40:40 AM
Author: EricaR
French Dip Sandwiches
Thanks for the recipes EricaR ... I''m going to try this one this week ... ya think a 2.5 lb Shoulder Roast will work the same way?? Couldn''t find a rump. Bahdumdum.

Date: 12/6/2008 11:24:32 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Thanks for the replies so far. I read both Deco's slow cooker thread and the crock pot recipe thread again so I'm debating...

Strm, which one are you looking into now? Linen's and Things is going out of business and they have the 6 qt Rival premium versaware for 40% off. But I'm wondering if we'll even LIKE crockpot cooking. Mara mentioned so much of the stuff comes out bland, and if it's not bland it seems to require a lot of creamy soups thrown in. But I love the idea of slow cooking, especially chicken....
I think most of the worry about the food being bland is all about the seasoning.

I liberally salt and pepper my beef/pork shoulder/chicken before I throw it in, and often use a dry/wet rub to leave on the meat for a few hours or overnight before I throw it in. My favourite for pork shoulder is a mixture of salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika, olive oil, dried coriander seed, mustard seed, for example. If it's a large piece of meat, sometimes I'll sear it if I have time in the morning to get that crust, and then drop it into the crock pot with a bottle of dark ale/large glass of pinot, and just let it braise all day. The meat is always fork tender and delicious.

Date: 12/7/2008 2:40:40 AM
Author: EricaR

My four favorite crock pot recipes...

Turkey and Veggies

Ingredients:
6 red potatoes or 2 russet/baking potatoes
Half pound carrots (baby carrots are OK!) cut into bite size pieces
6 stalks of celery, roughly chopped
Half turkey breast, with skin and bone
Can veggie broth

Directions:
Cut the potatoes into half inch pieces. Place potatoes, carrots and celery into bottom of crock pot. Pour in the can of veggie broth and season with oregano, thyme, salt and pepper. Place turkey on top, bone side up. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. Remove meat from bones and drain liquid.

French Dip Sandwiches

Ingredients:
2 pound rump roast
Can beef broth
Can condensed French onion soup
12 oz can or bottle of beer

Directions:
Trim excess fat from beef and place in slow cooker. Add the beef broth, onion soup and beer. Cook on low for 8 hours. Thinly slice beef and return to broth for half an hour. Serve on toasted rolls with broth for dipping.

Chicken Taco Soup

Ingredients:
1 onion, chopped
Can chili beans
Can black beans
Can whole kernel corn, drained
8 oz can tomato sauce
12 oz can or bottle of beer
2 cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
Package taco seasoning
Two chicken breasts, frozen is OK
Optional: cheddar cheese, sour cream, tortilla strips or crushed chips

Directions:
Place onion, chili beans, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, beer and tomatoes with chilies into crock pot. Add taco seasoning and stir. Place chicken breasts in mixture and submerge. Cook on low for 8 hours. Remove chicken and shred (you may want to let it cool prior to shredding), then return it to the mixture and stir. Serve!

Veggie Beef Soup
Ingredients:
2 pound rump roast, cut into one inch pieces
6 red potatoes or 2 russet/baking potatoes
Half pound carrots (baby carrots are OK) cut into bite size pieces
Whatever other veggies I have around – fresh, frozen or canned (green beans, celery, lima beans, corn, peas, etc)
Can beef broth
Small diced tomatoes (either plain or seasoned)

Directions:
Put everything into the crock pot and season with salt, pepper, oregano, basil, and whatever else you’d like. Cook on low for 8 hours.
Erica,
Thanks for posting these yummy recipes
18.gif
I picked up everything to make the Chicken Taco Soup later this week!
35.gif

Hi there.

I tend to use my crock pot more in the winter. I have no idea why since I''m in San Diego and there isn''t really a "winter" to speak of. ha. I just used mine again after a long dormant period in which the crock pot became my fruit bowl (we don''t have enough cabinet room! Or a real fruit bowl!) ...

..Anyway I made beef stew and it turned out awesome! I was very proud and it was SO easy and it really reminded me that the reason I don''t USE the thing that much is that I just don''t have many recipes that I LIKE for it. I guess I need to take the time to look through recipes and actually save them for future use.

I also second what rainwood said about browning meat before you put it in. I don''t like the "stewed meat" thing that much and sauteeing it up ahead of time really helps. Of course it adds a step but still, I did it the other day with no problems and it was quick and easy and the stew was delicious.

EricaR, the Chicken Taco Soup was a HUGE HIT!!
36.gif

We had some old friends come by for a visit and ended up staying for dinner. I had put this in the crockpot in the morning and had plenty to go around. Everyone loved it and I had to write down the recipe for them. I ended up using one can of original "Rotel" and one can of "Mexican Rotel" for the tomatoes with green chilies, rather than two originals.

Thanks again for posting this incredible soup
35.gif

I''m so glad you guys liked it!!! It is so easy and SO yummy! I''ve got some sitting in the crock pot right now and can''t wait to get home from work to eat it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP