shape
carat
color
clarity

Do Appraisers ever say "Not a good stone"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Date: 1/14/2005 8:30:14 AM
Author:kevinraja
To all those have been to an appraiser:

Has any appraiser ever mentioned that the stone is NOT beautiful or brilliant, and basically asked you to look for other stones? I suspect that they always have nice words about pretty much any stone, except the REAL BAD ones. Is it in their conscience that if they comment negatively, they might create a needle in their customers mind that they wasted $100+ appraisal fee for nothing. In essence, I want to hear ''BAD'' comments that you have heard from an appraiser.

I will keep BUMPING this thread until I hear a few stories

sooooooooooooooo--i guess the answer to original question is a resounding no (99.3% of the time)

Ira,

Improving the appraisal experience in general and my practice in particular is the reason I take the time to write these posts. It’s certainly true that participation in this forum has been good for soliciting certain types of appraisal work and I think it has distinctly improved my own service to this type of clients but the affect on my business is not nearly enough to justify the time commitment and the erosion of my relationships with my dealer clients that has been caused by my involvement. Most internet customers are far more dependent on independent appraisers than storefront customers and, as this is a fast growing segment, I think it’s in my own best interest to participate. Unfortunately, it’s difficult to tell and it may be years before I really know. I hope I’m making the right decision. It’s remarkably difficult to tell the difference between ‘the right track’ and ‘the road to hell.’ I’ll keep you posted.

I responded to your comment about Dave’s service because the tutorial tends to read like an advertisement for Dave’s firm and I get sensitive to posts that suggest that all other appraisers are inferior. There are quality appraisers all over the country and pressure generated from customers educated on this and other forums is causing them to improve for the same reasons that it's improving customer education. The gap between the good and the bad is increasing. I think I offer the best service in Denver but I know many jewelry appraisers distributed all over the country that I am pleased to recommend and every one of them is prepared to discuss diamond cut grading issues in a precise fashion. Not all have Sarin or similar equipment but there are other ways to deal with these issues that are relatively effective. IdealScopes, h&a viewers and similar devices are cheap and readily available for those who wish to use them. I certainly don’t mean to come across as a defender of the posers and the fools that we both know populate my industry but I don’t think I’ve done that.

I fear that my response to your comment has created a tangent away from Raja’s original question, which I agree is an excellent and valid issue. I’m sure we’ll get the opportunity to discuss this again as we have before.

(by the way, I recognized the Gilda Radner reference. I was just tweaking you. I think we’re of similar age and I too squandered far too much time watching late night television in my youth.
Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Rocdoc,

Seems like you weren''t looking at the right website. We''re not a real estate appraisers. We''re an independent jewelry appraiser. There''s a lot of Northern Appraisal Services out there, you went to someone else''s site.

We''re www.northernappraisal.com. We also have a listing on pricescope.com under independent appraisers. We''re in Ohio.

Do Appraisers ever say "Not a good stone"

and the answer is???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Neil, you learned virgin
1.gif

It was Jane Curtin (sp?) not Gilda Radner.

Oops, showing my age.

Date: 1/16/2005 10
6.gif
9:43 AM
Author: windowshopper
Do Appraisers ever say ''Not a good stone''

No
Its not their job too.

Date: 1/16/2005 10:29:15 AM
Author: strmrdr

6.gif

No
Its not their job too.
ACTUALLY YOU ARE PARTIALLY INCORRECT --IN THIS VERY THREAD AND IN A PREVIOUS THREAD WE HAD A FEW ACTUAL APPRAISERS SAY THAT THEY IN FACT ADVISE FURTHER THAN VALUE AS A MATTER OF COURSE

Date: 1/16/2005 9:53:19 AM
Author: gdustin
Rocdoc,

Seems like you weren''t looking at the right website. We''re not a real estate appraisers. We''re an independent jewelry appraiser. There''s a lot of Northern Appraisal Services out there, you went to someone else''s site.

We''re www.northernappraisal.com. We also have a listing on pricescope.com under independent appraisers. We''re in Ohio.
I think I tried using your url and came up with an error page, then I think I tried northernappraisers.com and got the other site.

Got to look at the right one.... although I tried to look at the sample appraisal and couldn''t make it work. It might be my computer, as I''ve had a lot of problems this week..

Apologies for the mistake.

Rockdoc

Date: 1/16/2005 10:18:48 AM
Author: Brian Knox
Neil, you learned virgin
1.gif

It was Jane Curtin (sp?) not Gilda Radner.

Oops, showing my age.
oh.

Never Mind.

Date: 1/16/2005 10:31
6.gif
3 AM
Date: 1/16/2005 10:29:15 AM

Author: strmrdr

6.gif

No

Its not their job too.
ACTUALLY YOU ARE PARTIALLY INCORRECT --IN THIS VERY THREAD AND IN A PREVIOUS THREAD WE HAD A FEW ACTUAL APPRAISERS SAY THAT THEY IN FACT ADVISE FURTHER THAN VALUE AS A MATTER OF COURSE
Then they are acting as consultants and not appraisers.

Having made the recommendation to Raja initially, I felt compelled to populate this other post, with my comments the 5th item down.

Rocdoc,

You were right, I fixed it. You can view the appraisal sample now.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP