shape
carat
color
clarity

E/ring Project

FallenRox

Shiny_Rock
faegrace|1306084025|2927775 said:
Just FYI: wroughtgold on Etsy has some scathing reviews from dissatisfied clients....

Hmmm... where did you find those? I checked on Etsy and didn't see any listed, but maybe I'm not looking in the right spot?

T

talamasca

:shock: wowzer! That's a ring and a half, but very pretty detailing.

T

talamasca

Pandora|1304886327|2915545 said:
I would go with that last setting - btw I got a quote a month ago on that exact setting and it was coming in at around £270 inl. VAT at that time (prices do alter depending on gold-price) - and stick most of the budget into a killer centre stone.

Hi Pandora, was that quote for 9ct or 18ct WG?

I went to jewellers on Sat and was suprised to get a quote of £300 in 9ct and £500 in 18ct!

I also asked for an additional quote to include a filigree design to the shoulders which upped the price by £50.

Now personally I'm not bothered if it's 9ct or 18ct as I looked at rings in both and they both looked nice, plus I imagine 9ct would be tougher and if it started to look bad I could get it dipped, but it just seemed quite expensive.

Also, as an aside, they would want a £100 deposit despite the fact that they'll have my gem, which I found odd!

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
FallenRox|1306081613|2927765 said:
velouriaL|1305933977|2926923 said:
Congratulations on the first step! The stone is great.

I like the details. You might want to check out some of the neat detailed settings on WroughtGold on Etsy for inspiration - http://www.etsy.com/people/WroughtGold

It's so good to come here and see this posted. I must have scoured etsy for 4 hours yesterday... and that designer is AMAZING!!!! I also found another one who really caught my eye but the 2 designs that they have are far from simple.

Check this out:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/56686405/the-enchanted-princess-14k-gold
http://www.etsy.com/listing/72870401/the-enchanted-princess-14k-gold-ruby

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Handcrafted bliss in my book :)

Regarding Winged Lion ~ Ooooooooooooo BABY !!!!
I must get something from them. Must.
BTW, this looks like something Crasru would love, has she seen them do you think ?

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I just want to mention the fact that Wrought Gold actually made that exact Etsy-listed ring for one of my coworkers (the "pink gem and diamond" vine one), with a matching wedding ring. It turned out lovely and she raves about his excellent communication and 'hand-holding' through the process. It was a solid, well-crafted ring, certainly worth the amount she paid. :bigsmile:

(edited for spelling corrections)

FallenRox

Shiny_Rock
ooo~Shiney!|1306150798|2928206 said:
FallenRox|1306081613|2927765 said:
velouriaL|1305933977|2926923 said:
Congratulations on the first step! The stone is great.

I like the details. You might want to check out some of the neat detailed settings on WroughtGold on Etsy for inspiration - http://www.etsy.com/people/WroughtGold

It's so good to come here and see this posted. I must have scoured etsy for 4 hours yesterday... and that designer is AMAZING!!!! I also found another one who really caught my eye but the 2 designs that they have are far from simple.

Check this out:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/56686405/the-enchanted-princess-14k-gold
http://www.etsy.com/listing/72870401/the-enchanted-princess-14k-gold-ruby

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Handcrafted bliss in my book :)

Regarding Winged Lion ~ Ooooooooooooo BABY !!!!
I must get something from them. Must.
BTW, this looks like something Crasru would love, has she seen them do you think ?

***Sorry for the threadjack Talamasca, but very glad to see another great artist get more exposure =)

justginger|1306154437|2928221 said:
I just want to mention the fact that Wrought Gold actually made that exact Etsy-listed ring for one of my coworkers (the "pink gem and diamond" vine one), with a matching wedding ring. It turned out lovely and she raves about his excellent communication and 'hand-holding' through the process. It was a solid, well-crafted ring, certainly worth the amount she paid. :bigsmile:

(edited for spelling corrections)

And thank you for sharing your coworkers experience justginger... I'm seriously contemplating him for creating a ring for me.

-again, apologies Talamsca I'm jumping out now! *halo*

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
WingedLion is AMAZING! Maybe not for this particular project, but WOW!

FWIW, I don't know anything about WroughtGold except that the designs were lovely and reasonably priced.

T

talamasca

:lol: no apologies necessary. I love looking at all these rings!!!

T

talamasca

:D :D :D yay, e/ring ordered.

So pleased that I managed to find a really great local-ish jeweller who was extremely helpful and after looking through 3 books of shanks and settings and trying on a dozen rings, we found near enough what I wanted and with a few tweaks that the jeweller's going to do it will be perfect!!!

They'll ring me in 2 weeks or so to go back in and try it on to make sure all's OK and if not they can do some last minute alterations and then I'll leave my stone with them and they'll set it within the week whoop whoop (could do with a dancing smiley :D)

drillsgtsgem

Shiny_Rock
O how exciting! I can't wait to see it finished!!!!!!

T

talamasca

;( just rang jewellers cos I thought they may have contacted me by now to try it on and bad news - they're still waiting for the shank.

So I guess it may arrive next week, then they've to alter it so it could be another 2-3 weeks before I even try it on and then another week to set the stone ;( ;( I want my ring :(sad

drillsgtsgem

Shiny_Rock
Awwwww hang in there Talamasca! I know what the wait feels like! It'll be done before you know it!! ;))

FallenRox

Shiny_Rock
You're 5 steps ahead of me but I definitely feel your pain. ;-)
Once you have it, just think... you can start obsessing over what other things you can get into with colored stones!

And I'm very excited to see your pics, I'm positive the wait will pay off for you!

FallenRox

Shiny_Rock
Tell me that they at least have the shank now??? or did I miss a post?

T

talamasca

FallenRox|1308942803|2954208 said:
Tell me that they at least have the shank now??? or did I miss a post?

Fingers crossed!!! It's only 4 weeks ago today since I ordered it so I suppose it's taking the normal amount of time, it's just annoying when they said it would only be about 3 weeks in total, including setting the stone :(sad

Oh well, I'm sure it will be worth the wait :D

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
It will be worth that wait, but I'd be champing at the bit by now...!

Very exciting! :D

T

talamasca

natsplat|1308991250|2954682 said:
It will be worth that wait, but I'd be champing at the bit by now...!

Very exciting! :D

:lol: normally I would be tearing my hair out, but I've been so busy making the Save the Date cards and booking wedding stuff I've thankfully not had time to think about it, though I'll be chasing them if I don't hear anything by Friday!

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
I'm waiting on your ring as well. I'm so glad gemfix worked for you and can't wait to see the finished project.

T

talamasca

:appl: :appl: Jewellers just rang to say my ring is ready for the stone. So will be going on Saturday to make sure all's OK and then they will set my stone within the week and fingers crossed it will be ready for collection the following Saturday :D

FallenRox

Shiny_Rock
talamasca|1309184546|2956120 said:
:appl: :appl: Jewellers just rang to say my ring is ready for the stone. So will be going on Saturday to make sure all's OK and then they will set my stone within the week and fingers crossed it will be ready for collection the following Saturday :D

HALLELUJAH!! I needed some good news today, so I'll take this as a sign ;-)

awesome awesome! Thanks for the update :)

T

talamasca

Well, I tried on my half finished e-ring yesterday. When I first saw it I was a bit disappointed that the shoulders weren't as high as I had imagined, but then looking closer I was distracted by the wonky prongs and the gold looked a bit yellow so I completely forgot to mention the shoulders to the jeweller.

Anyway, the style of the ring is really lovely and the shaped bars on the sides of the setting look great (the front and back bars were removed to leave it open under the stone) and when the jeweller rested my stone in the prongs I wanted to take it home there and then and was really suprised at how pink it looked and it's quite big :D

The upshot is that they're going to remove the setting and put it back in as it's not quite straight. It's then going to be sent with my stone to their setter so it will be ready in 1-2 weeks.

After thinking about the shoulders over the last day I think I'll ring on Monday and get them to squish them out a bit to make them slightly higher since they're removing the setting anyway it shouldn't be too difficult.

Oh and when the stone's been set it will be rhodium plated and will thankfully look whiter!

FallenRox

Shiny_Rock
talamasca|1309690944|2961050 said:
Well, I tried on my half finished e-ring yesterday. When I first saw it I was a bit disappointed that the shoulders weren't as high as I had imagined, but then looking closer I was distracted by the wonky prongs and the gold looked a bit yellow so I completely forgot to mention the shoulders to the jeweller.

Anyway, the style of the ring is really lovely and the shaped bars on the sides of the setting look great (the front and back bars were removed to leave it open under the stone) and when the jeweller rested my stone in the prongs I wanted to take it home there and then and was really suprised at how pink it looked and it's quite big :D

The upshot is that they're going to remove the setting and put it back in as it's not quite straight. It's then going to be sent with my stone to their setter so it will be ready in 1-2 weeks.

After thinking about the shoulders over the last day I think I'll ring on Monday and get them to squish them out a bit to make them slightly higher since they're removing the setting anyway it shouldn't be too difficult.

Oh and when the stone's been set it will be rhodium plated and will thankfully look whiter!

Wow. It sounds like you were way less than pleased with the progress. There is some positivity in there, and I hope the you feel confident in working with this jeweler. And if anything is tugging at you to talk to them about, absolutely call. So thrilled you love the stone still! and thanks for the update =)

T

talamasca

FallenRox|1309799230|2961581 said:
Wow. It sounds like you were way less than pleased with the progress. There is some positivity in there, and I hope the you feel confident in working with this jeweler. And if anything is tugging at you to talk to them about, absolutely call. So thrilled you love the stone still! and thanks for the update =)

Thankfully after reading on here about others experiences with Jewellers I was prepared for it not to be perfect on first inspection, but I am actually really happy with how it's turned out, especially with my specific wants and limited budget.

I really wanted a 4 prong open gallery setting and a ring with high thin shoulders, which is exactly what I'm getting :D

I thought more about the shoulders yesterday and decided not to get them to make them higher as I really liked how it looked on my finger and when viewing the band from above the ring is as thin as I want it and if they made the change to the shoulders then the band would only get thinner.

Eek, all excited now :D

T

talamasca

Oh oh, the jeweller just rang and said it won't be ready for Saturday as when she's gone to remove the setting in order to re-set it back on to the shank straighter it came off in two parts :shock: cue mad panic from me. Anyway, she's assured me the ring will be fine once she's fixed it, but she just wanted to let me know that she won't have enough time to fix it and to send it to the setter in order for it to be back by Saturday, which is fine by me. I'd rather it be perfect than rushed.

Oh and since the setting's come out she asked if I wanted her to make the shoulders slightly higher so I figured why not!

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
I can understand you panicking, hearing that...! But I'm sure it's under control - and totally! - it's better to wait longer and get perfection. It'll be beautiful, I'm sure :bigsmile:

T

talamasca

natsplat|1309963721|2962758 said:
I can understand you panicking, hearing that...! But I'm sure it's under control - and totally! - it's better to wait longer and get perfection. It'll be beautiful, I'm sure :bigsmile:

Thanks, I really hope so. I know I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I'm worried about the finish! I just hope it doesn't have any lumps and bumps or wonky bits :confused:

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
I can't visualize what's going on with the ring.....
the settings came off in 2 parts?
Does that mean the basket with the prongs?
Hopefully that your setting is going to be nice and sturdy
to hold your beautiful stone without chance of it falling out and losing it !!!! :shock:

T

talamasca

Yes, she said when she was heating the ring to remove the setting in order to put it back on straighter, the 4 prong setting came off in two parts. Now not knowing anything about jewellery making, I am presuming that as long as both parts are put back on in alignment then the setting should be just as secure as before. Finger's crossed she's competent enough to do a good job!

FallenRox

Shiny_Rock
talamasca|1310112479|2964489 said:
Yes, she said when she was heating the ring to remove the setting in order to put it back on straighter, the 4 prong setting came off in two parts. Now not knowing anything about jewellery making, I am presuming that as long as both parts are put back on in alignment then the setting should be just as secure as before. Finger's crossed she's competent enough to do a good job!

Tell me they have told you something better than "this came off in two parts".... I scanned the posts, don't think I missed a new thread. Sorry if I did, just checking in. :)

T

talamasca

Nope, that's exactly what she said!

I can picture exactly what happened though as the 4 prong setting had a bar between each prong for the stone to sit in, but I wanted an open gallery so I imagine she melted away the front and back bars. Then, when I noticed it wasn't on straight she's had to heat it up to remove the setting and of course there's nothing keeping the two halves together because the front and back bars have been removed, hence it coming off it two parts.

I'm trying very hard not to get too worried and to just wait and see how it pans out. I know if I start obsessing it won't do me any good :roll:

It's been 2 weeks now for her to fix and then send to the setter so I'm keeping everything crossed it will be ready for this Sat (3 weeks), but I am dreading going to pick it up and seeing something that's not right! I am picky and I hate things that aren't aligned and straight, etc :errrr:

Plus, I know it's really daft but I'm worried about my stone being away for so long! :roll: :oops: I know in reality it's just sat in it's box in an envelope waiting to go to the setters, but still...... I really hope nothing happens to it. I can cope with the ring not being right, but the stone getting lost or damaged proper freaks me out!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results