shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Isn''t the last ring you posted supposed to be bamboo, not nugget in the gold design? The second last one is like Amethyst and the last one Rhodolite Garnet maybe?

HazranRahimi

Rough_Rock
The st one looks like an ametrine n the 2nd one looks like a garnet

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2007 8:00:07 PM
Author: Pyramid
Isn''t the last ring you posted supposed to be bamboo, not nugget in the gold design? The second last one is like Amethyst and the last one Rhodolite Garnet maybe?
omg omg omg - you''re RIGHT!!! that IS bamboo!!!!! toooo funny but now I like it a ittle better already!!! haha Its still a little goofy but not anything that could touch the first ring in this thread LOL The color seems washed out for amethyst (but I don''t know squat about amethyst). I do have an amethyst ring but it is much smaller and richer hued than this one... I don''t know the range amethyst comes in. But it is for certain an amethyst.

I got the gold and amethyst ring for a 5th anniversary gift - I still really love this and thought over the years that I''d like to put a diamond (I wanted an oval diamond) but I never thought I''d get a diamond big enough to put in here. Amethyst is 8x6 I think. But of course now I''m just going to leave it. That''s one gemstone I can just have scratched off my list! lol

cbamethyst1.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2007 8:57:18 PM
Author: HazranRahimi
oh ametrine? I''ll have to look that up! I''ve never heard of it! I like the size of it - it''s pretty big and I like the color too...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2007 9:12:14 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 2/11/2007 8:57:18 PM
Author: HazranRahimi
oh ametrine? I''ll have to look that up! I''ve never heard of it! I like the size of it - it''s pretty big and I like the color too...
hmmm..... I just looked up ametrine here http://www.gemstone.org/gem-by-gem/english/ametrine.html and I don''t think it looks or sounds like it... this stone in my ring is a very consistent and even hue, but pretty light and transparent. There''s no golden hue to it - on the contrary it has less golden warmth than my amethyst does. But I only looked it up in the one place so maybe that''s not right...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s one more pic of that big stone ring - I just like the composition of this photo :D

cbmysterystone3.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
Wow Cehra...I hadn''t seen your new additions to this thread!

I love seeing these old rings...if you have more from your Mom''s stash, post ''em!

That last photograph is great...amethysts (like most colored gemstones) come in different degrees of color saturation...intense like your smaller oval, lighter like the big EC. They can be really pale (sometimes called "Rose de France") like this:

Dark, light, bi-colored (ametrine)...they''re all varieties of quartz...

widget

166530b.jpg

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You probably found this when you read about Ametrine but did you know it is part Amethyst and part Citrine (which is also quartz), the only ones I have seen is on TV on QVC, the ones they had were purple and then yellow on one end very noticeably different. They maybe on the lower end of the scale though I don''t know. Your stone doesn''t look like those ones did. Another thing I have read on the coloured stones forum here is that there are a lot of synthetic amethysts in the world, (although I don''t know if shopping channels would be selling those). A local jeweller should be able to tell you for sure though.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2007 10:09:04 PM
Author: Pyramid
You probably found this when you read about Ametrine but did you know it is part Amethyst and part Citrine (which is also quartz), the only ones I have seen is on TV on QVC, the ones they had were purple and then yellow on one end very noticeably different. They maybe on the lower end of the scale though I don''t know. Your stone doesn''t look like those ones did. Another thing I have read on the coloured stones forum here is that there are a lot of synthetic amethysts in the world, (although I don''t know if shopping channels would be selling those). A local jeweller should be able to tell you for sure though.
I wish my mom were still alive so I could ask her about this stuff... the coolest old things I have don''t belong in the colored forum, I''d have to post them in jewelry I guess... I have this necklace that my great-great grandmother made out of pressed and embossed rosepetals... and a gold coin from like 1905 or something that is set as a pendant.... tons and tons of sunday church type stuff from the 40''s and 50''s.... I don''t want to bore everyone with this stuff LOL What I *really* need to do is find an antiques forum so I can post some of the furniture I have...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2007 9:53:22 PM
Author: widget
Wow Cehra...I hadn''t seen your new additions to this thread!

I love seeing these old rings...if you have more from your Mom''s stash, post ''em!

That last photograph is great...amethysts (like most colored gemstones) come in different degrees of color saturation...intense like your smaller oval, lighter like the big EC. They can be really pale (sometimes called ''Rose de France'') like this:

Dark, light, bi-colored (ametrine)...they''re all varieties of quartz...

widget
Okay - so regardless of color its likely quartz... I find it so interesting the way these different colors have different names.... like beryl being both aqua and emerald.... if they''re both beryl - where do you draw the line and stop calling it an aqua and start calling it an emerald?

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i have played around with antique and estate jewelry for many years. i remember reading that amethyst is subject to fading over time from light exposure. i do not think your amethyst looks faded.

the first ring doesn''t look like emerald on my screen but we know that doesn''t mean anything. the color of the stone does look like the same color as a stone my sister had. we were both given birthstone rings one year for christmas. hers was to be the december stone (maybe then blue zircon?) and was set in 10k gold.

thirty years later i found out that they were synthetic. they had been purchased from a very good local jeweler and were children''s rings. i''m sure my father would not have even asked if they were genuine or synthetic. they are emerald cut and we both ended up setting them in pendant mountings after the death of our father as a keepsake.

so much rambling and i don''t know if any of this will help you? i do know that much really old jewelry is synthetic and even glass with foil behind it. don''t let the fact that it is set in karat gold fool you.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
That big purple ring definitely looks like amethyst to me. Very pretty cut. Love the pink color of that bamboo gold ring too...so pretty!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2007 7:38:34 PM
Author: crown1

so much rambling and i don''t know if any of this will help you? i do know that much really old jewelry is synthetic and even glass with foil behind it. don''t let the fact that it is set in karat gold fool you.
Oh I''m not fooled.... to me I doubt it is fake *emerald* because it just isn''t the right color and it is too included. Now... my thinking is that it is some sort of tourmaline OR it is beryl but not really "emerald" green as much as dark teal green... the more I look at it the more I see it has like big clefts inside of it... who knows. What I can tell you is that the appraiser I am sending my diamond to has agreed to have it removed from "the booger" haha and test it to see if it is an emerald and if it is, to then appraise it.

Now all I have to do is tear myself away from my precious LOL I kinda hope it is a real emerald - not for the value or whatever, but because I deserve it after what that man put me through.... however I wouldn''t put it past him.... it could be anything.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2007 8:48:06 PM
Author: FireGoddess
That big purple ring definitely looks like amethyst to me. Very pretty cut. Love the pink color of that bamboo gold ring too...so pretty!
thanks :) I like them too - they''re two of the few that I actually like of my mom''s... she had some very... not my taste shall we say LOL

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
sorry i was not clear in my rambling. when i made that comment about being fooled i was not referring to your stone but the old synthetics and glass over foil items from the past. i have no idea at all what you have but i hope it is valuable.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Those are pretty rings, Cehra. I looove that big *amethyst?*. That''s what I''m talkin'' about...BIG stones. Love ''em!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2007 6:01:22 PM
Author: Miranda
Those are pretty rings, Cehra. I looove that big *amethyst?*. That''s what I''m talkin'' about...BIG stones. Love ''em!
yeah - I keep looking at the "emerald" and thinking - okay if this is real and in good enough condition to mount in a ring... but it''s so small LOL I couldn''t even afford to buy it (if it is what was claimed) and yet it''s not big enough @@ LOL

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2007 4:22:34 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

My mom loved buying jewelry she saw on tv.... and when she died I inherited it.... omg I won''t get into some of it -it''s just.... I have two ruby and diamond rings that are just... almost identical and neither is what I would ever buy or wear and I''ve come recently to LIKE rubies - if they''re singular, huge, and gorgeous vs multiple, cheap, and thick looking LOL

But she did get a couple things I like... here''s one - I have NO IDEA what it is... but it''s big and I kinda like it - it''s not what I would design on my own but it''s... kinda quirky cute I think.
Oh I really like this ring. I like the color and the cut and the two diamonds on each side. Classic but with a twist. That''s the kind of thing I like.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could the Bamboo ring be a color change Garnet? I''ve been looking at those online lately. Garnet is softer than Sapphires so it would show some wear.

LOVE the latest photos you added. Really shows off your two Amethysts.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2007 11:42:30 AM
Author: Stone Hunter
Could the Bamboo ring be a color change Garnet? I''ve been looking at those online lately. Garnet is softer than Sapphires so it would show some wear.

LOVE the latest photos you added. Really shows off your two Amethysts.
It might be - I have no idea LOL It is kinda cool how sometimes it looks really red violet and sometimes it looks almost the color of the largest stone above - the "amethyst" one that you liked the ring... kinda subtle compared to the ones that are violet and teal!!!!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay... well I got the info back on the stone and those of us who guessed tourmaline are correct! I feel a mix of emotions... a little disappointed, a little relieved (that I''m not now tempted to spend a couple thousand repolishing and resetting it haha), but mostly I''m really really pissed off for my mom. I mean it''s crazy - she''s been dead for years... but the fact that she gave her heart and soul to this ass.... I mean, it isn''t anything I didn''t suspect, hence the curiosity in the first place... but I feel like he took me again when I shelled out the $ to have it identified. At this point I wouldn''t be surprised if it''s made of brass nugget lol I just feel so bad that my mom was fooled, and yet I''m glad she''s not here to know that. Well, then again if she was I''d point to it as yet another SEE?? what a jerk he is!!!

Oh well, I just saved myself some more $$ and I''m sure dh will be happy LOL

ger100

Shiny_Rock
Your big purple ring looks like an amethyst. The second one reminds me of one I got in the 80''s in Mexico and showed in another post. It turned out to be synthetic color-change sapphire. It was popular around that time.
Ger

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh don''t feel bad, at least you solved the mystery! And keep in mind your mom''s boyfriend may have been told it was emerald when he bought it, so he may not have known either.
Fun to have things from the family. My husband''s two grandmother''s died, and there is a box of mostlly costume jewelry that we can go through and pick from. The most interesting to me is this charm bracelet with unusual charms. I''m sure there are some stories to go with the charms!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results