shape
carat
color
clarity

Evaluating jadeite (feicui)

Oh, I just wanted to add that I'm not looking for anything huge (my fingers are really thin), maybe a pear shape around 10-12mm in length. If anyone ever sees anything like that, can you pretty please let me know? :pray:

@Bookwyrm I had this ridiculous camera that made everything green turn aqua.

Here’s some more of my jade rings

No imperial though!

IMG_4352.jpegIMG_2526.jpeg

@Bookwyrm I had this ridiculous camera that made everything green turn aqua.

Here’s some more of my jade rings

No imperial though!

IMG_4352.jpegIMG_2526.jpeg

:kiss2: I'm curious, how would you categorise these jade pieces, because the colour seems perfect to me! I love the proportions of the first! May I ask which vendor you bought these from?

I think the white gold + diamonds + jade combination is growing on me, after seeing so many pretty white gold jade pieces on PS...
I used to think that jade should only be paired with yellow gold :lol:

Hi Crimson,
Thank you so much for making this thread! I've learnt so much about jade from your explanations and the pictures help a lot!

I'm not sure if this is meant to be a mostly educational thread, but I was wondering if I may ask you and the other jade experts on here a few questions, as I'm relatively new to eploring the intimidating world of jade :)

Thank you @Bookwyrm for appreciating this thread!
My impressions of the vendors mentioned are: Mason Kay tends to be overpriced, and not offer very high-quality items; Kathy J has nice items, but they look worse in real life than on the website. The shops that I mentioned – On Cheong, Classic Jade - tend to have much more accurate photos. They can also ship overseas. Have a look at some of On Cheong‘s jadeite. There are some pear shapes on the first page, and a Marquise on the second .https://oncheong.com/product-category/e-shop/jewellery/materials/jadeite/
If you like anything, let me know. I can take some photos or even model the piece for you because I’m going there to collect a new ring at the end of this week. I could also ask them to pull out all their pieces that are pear- or marquise- shaped for you. They are one of Singapore’s most trustworthy vendors for jadeite and other jewellery. Their owner is President of the Singapore Jewellers Association.

Hi Crimson!

Thank you so much for all the advice and recommendations! I didn't find anything I liked on Classic Jade, but I found 2 pieces on On Cheong's website that I quite like.
and

However, going off the pictures, do you think the jade on the Aphrodite ring is too light in colour? I'm after a piece that is a deep emerald (imperial?) green in natural lighting, but glows bright green in brighter lighting. I think the jade on the Chasseurs ring might be closer to the colour I like, but both of these pears seem a bit small. Do you think On Cheong might have other larger/nicer pears available that aren't on their website?

I really, really like this piece from Kathy Jade (I like the glowiness, and the size of the stone is just perfect), but I'm not sure whether the colour will be close to that deep emerald shade I'm after.
Ideally, I'd also love to go for something glassy rather than icy, but I'm not sure if that will be within my budget.
And I'm a bit hesitant about Kathy Jade, now knowing that their pieces look better in pictures, compared to real life...
May I ask your opinion on this Kathy Jade piece? :)
Again, thank you so much for being here to offer your expertise and knowledge to jade noobs like me! :lol: I hope to learn more about jade on this forum, and will definitely be reading more jade-related threads when I have the time!

Interesting information. Recently I found out there is another popular Jadeite mining source popping up, Guatemala. It seems the prices are significantly lower than the Burmese Jadeite counterpart of similar quality.

Hi Crimson!

Thank you so much for all the advice and recommendations! I didn't find anything I liked on Classic Jade, but I found 2 pieces on On Cheong's website that I quite like.
and

However, going off the pictures, do you think the jade on the Aphrodite ring is too light in colour? I'm after a piece that is a deep emerald (imperial?) green in natural lighting, but glows bright green in brighter lighting. I think the jade on the Chasseurs ring might be closer to the colour I like, but both of these pears seem a bit small. Do you think On Cheong might have other larger/nicer pears available that aren't on their website?
May I ask your opinion on this Kathy Jade piece? :)
Again, thank you so much for being here to offer your expertise and knowledge to jade noobs like me! :lol: I hope to learn more about jade on this forum, and will definitely be reading more jade-related threads when I have the time!
@Bookwyrm Yes they have others. I will take some photos for you on my next visit. What is your ring size?.
I think the Kathy Jade is probably the same size as the Chasseurs ring. It looks glory in the pictures, but so did the other Kathy pieces I ordered before. They didn’t glow as much in person., so I think it’s hard to tell.

Interesting information. Recently I found out there is another popular Jadeite mining source popping up, Guatemala. It seems the prices are significantly lower than the Burmese Jadeite counterpart of similar quality.
Yes, I was wondering a few years ago when I first started collecting jadeite why nobody paid attention to Guatemala. It has come to the fore partly because of the difficulty of getting jadeite from Burma. Personally, I can see the difference between Guatemalan and Burmese jadeite. There are nuanced differences . Initially, the labs could not tell the difference. The most worrying trend was that Guatemalan jadeite was being passed off as Burmese. Recently because of more research, the differences are becoming clearer. I think Burmese jadeite will still carry a premium, especially imperial.

Ohh I remember reading about this on Gem Gardener's website! https://www.gemgardener.com/2024/08/25/psa-翡翠危料-burma-vs-guatemala-jade/
Do you think this might bring down the prices of Burmese imperial jadeite?
No, Burmese imperial green is so rare that there is no need to give discounts whatsoever. It pains me that the term “imperial green” is used quite loosely by some retailers.
This is imperial green, nice size (my ring size is HK12).
IMG_0079.jpeg

Here is a cut4 fat pear. It is 3 in one. All th4 rings can be worn separately. Do you like this shade of green?

IMG_0073.jpeg

Here is a comparison between my jadeite and emerald {which is old Mine Muzo green). Unfortunately the photo is little too blue but it gives you an idea of the 2 greens.
IMG_0072.jpeg

Finally, two smaller lovely greens which are very pleasant. The one on the right is pretty close to imperial green.

IMG_0081.jpeg

@Bookwyrm Yes they have others. I will take some photos for you on my next visit. What is your ring size?.
I think the Kathy Jade is probably the same size as the Chasseurs ring. It looks glory in the pictures, but so did the other Kathy pieces I ordered before. They didn’t glow as much in person., so I think it’s hard to tell.

Yes, I was wondering a few years ago when I first started collecting jadeite why nobody paid attention to Guatemala. It has come to the fore partly because of the difficulty of getting jadeite from Burma. Personally, I can see the difference between Guatemalan and Burmese jadeite. There are nuanced differences . Initially, the labs could not tell the difference. The most worrying trend was that Guatemalan jadeite was being passed off as Burmese. Recently because of more research, the differences are becoming clearer. I think Burmese jadeite will still carry a premium, especially imperial.

No, Burmese imperial green is so rare that there is no need to give discounts whatsoever. It pains me that the term “imperial green” is used quite loosely by some retailers.
This is imperial green, nice size (my ring size is HK12).
IMG_0079.jpeg

Here is a cut4 fat pear. It is 3 in one. All th4 rings can be worn separately. Do you like this shade of green?

IMG_0073.jpeg

Here is a comparison between my jadeite and emerald {which is old Mine Muzo green). Unfortunately the photo is little too blue but it gives you an idea of the 2 greens.
IMG_0072.jpeg

Finally, two smaller lovely greens which are very pleasant. The one on the right is pretty close to imperial green.

IMG_0081.jpeg

Hi Crimson,

Thank you for offering to take photos, and congratulations on your new ring! I'd love to see photos when you receive it :D

I'm around a 4.5 - 4.75 US; I think that may be a 9.5 using the HK sizing system.

And ooof it's sad to hear that Kathy Jade pieces don't glow as much in person. Did you end up keeping any of the pieces you ordered?

I think the pear of the Chasseurs ring seems a tad too elongated for me, but that may be the angle of the photo. I love the proportions of the pear on the Kathy Jade ring, but I wouldn't mind a pear that's even chubbier, like the 'fat pear' you uploaded. And I do like the shade of green of that pear! It's a deep and delicious shade of green, at least to my eyes. Would you consider that shade imperial (it's quite hard to tell on a phone screen haha)? I really like the shade of the first picture you posted, and the shade of the ring on the right in the 3rd picture. With the last picture, I prefer the deeper green of the one on the right, as the one on the left seems a bit too light and yellowish for my liking. I wish I could see these in person!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that On Cheong has some other pears/marquise in an imperial or near-imperial shade and good transparency when you visit! (If you happen to see any small to medium-sized oval/round cabs like the one on the right of your last picture, can I pretty please see those too? :lol::pray:)

Singapore sounds amazing...you guys have JannPaul too!! Sooo lucky!

Are there any other jade vendors that I should check out? :)

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP

Featured Topics