shape
carat
color
clarity

Evaluating jadeite (feicui)

Thanks, @Bookwyrm . Don’t feel bad about asking questions here. We can all learn and enjoy looking at jadeite together! That is what such threads are for :mrgreen2:

Ooo ok, thank you! <3

Oh dear, I don’t recall so Iooked at their social media. They sometimes have a sale in late July/early August.
Awww I was really hoping for one around October or November :(sad

Oh hmm it's very weird that I can open these videos on my phone but not my laptop...let me try to figure out how to convert :lol:

Ok, I must be a boomer, because I cannot figure out how to attach videos, or why these videos will open on my phone, but not my laptop :lol:

I still can't figure out how to post the videos, but here are the photos; I also went through and screenshotted some parts from the videos and attached them in my next post :lol: Sorry about the image spam! I'm not sure why there's doubles of some images - I suck with technology haha

I was told that it's "emerald green" in colour, has an icy translucent texture and is "fine-quality jadeite." They also said that the colour of the jadeite is lighter than imperial green and deeper than apple green, but closer to imperial green. I'm not a fan of the setting at all, but I'll probably have it reset by David Klass or something later down the line. I don't know if Kathy Jade would want to sell that pear jade loose...

I was told that there's a sale in a couple of days! With the 20% off I think it would be around 12700 USD. What do you guys think?

I really like the shape and size, but not sure if it's as glowy in real life. I'm also not too sure what that line on the left side is...do you think it's an inclusion? Gosh, buying jade online is so stressful :confused:;(

1728898921212.png

Last edited:
IMG_0972.PNG
IMG_0971.PNGIMG_0970.PNGIMG_0969.PNGIMG_0967.PNGIMG_0966.PNGIMG_0965.PNGIMG_0962.PNGIMG_0964.PNGIMG_0971.PNGIMG_0972.PNGIMG_0970.PNGIMG_0969.PNGIMG_0967.PNGIMG_0966.PNGIMG_0965.PNGIMG_0962.PNGIMG_0964.PNG

I still can't figure out how to post the videos, but here are the photos; I also went through and screenshotted some parts from the videos and attached them in my next post :lol: Sorry about the image spam! I'm not sure why there's doubles of some images - I suck with technology haha

I was told that it's "emerald green" in colour, has an icy translucent texture and is "fine-quality jadeite." They also said that the colour of the jadeite is lighter than imperial green and deeper than apple green, but closer to imperial green. I'm not a fan of the setting at all, but I'll probably have it reset by David Klass or something later down the line. I don't know if Kathy Jade would want to sell that pear jade loose...

I was told that there's a sale in a couple of days! With the 20% off I think it would be around 12700 USD. What do you guys think?

I really like the shape and size, but not sure if it's as glowy in real life. I'm also not too sure what that line on the left side is...do you think it's an inclusion? Gosh, buying jade online is so stressful :confused:;(

1728898921212.png

Yes, it is stressful! Yes, that is an inclusion, and there are some other smaller inclusions lower down too. I once returned a piece that had such an inclusion which wasn’t visible to the naked eye but perceptible with a Loupe. I knew it was a natural feature, like jardin in emeralds or silk in rubies but somehow it bothered me.
I don’t think Kathy would sell that pear alone, but no harm asking. Glad to hear a sale is coming!
Btw your second set of photos is probably more true to life. The first set looks as if it’s been manipulated. The color of the hand and the sky seem over- saturated..

Yes, it is stressful! Yes, that is an inclusion, and there are some other smaller inclusions lower down too. I once returned a piece that had such an inclusion which wasn’t visible to the naked eye but perceptible with a Loupe. I knew it was a natural feature, like jardin in emeralds or silk in rubies but somehow it bothered me.
I don’t think Kathy would sell that pear alone, but no harm asking. Glad to hear a sale is coming!
Btw your second set of photos is probably more true to life. The first set looks as if it’s been manipulated. The color of the hand and the sky seem over- saturated..

Hi Crimson,
Thank you for your reply and keen eye! Are inclusions in jade are like inclusions in diamonds, where they can impact structural integrity and durability? Should I be worried about that inclusion? I don’t mind if it won’t impact the integrity of the stone, and I won’t even mind if it’s visible in certain lightings.

Do you think the price (12700 USD with the sale) is fair? I’m not well-versed in jadeite, and you have so much more purchasing experience than me so I thought I’d ask your opinion.

Do you think the proportions are good? I remember you mentioning one of the pears from On Cheong was too flat haha

I can’t really tell from the photos Kathy Jade has sent me, so I don’t really know if the jade will glow in person…fingers crossed it will!

Last edited:
Hi Crimson,
Thank you for your reply and keen eye! Are inclusions in jade are like inclusions in diamonds, where they can impact structural integrity and durability? Should I be worried about that inclusion? I don’t mind if it won’t impact the integrity of the stone, and I won’t even mind if it’s visible in certain lightings.
The inclusion is part of the stone. I don’t think it will interfere with the integrity of the jadeite. It doesn’t look like a crack.
Do you think the price (12700 USD with the sale) is fair? I’m not well-versed in jadeite, and you have so much more purchasing experience than me so I thought I’d ask your opinion.
I think the price is okay. It includes the diamonds as well. I guess such a setting would cost about $2000.

Given the inclusion, and if this were a brick and motor store, I would ask for a little discount. However, with the sale coming, you will get your discount.
Do you think the proportions are good? I remember you mentioning one of the pears from On Cheong was too flat haha

I can’t really tell from the photos Kathy Jade has sent me, so I don’t really know if the jade will glow in person…fingers crossed it will!
Yes, proportions matter. This one looks fine. It is 4 mm thick. That setting has been designed to protect the point, which is both shallow and thin.
By the way, it is a lot more informative to read the KathyJade site in Chinese. For example, the Chinese information on this ring indicates that it is of an old mine
glassy type, and the colour is intense green. Such information is not available when you read the site in English. This is one of the closest they have to imperial Green for a down to earth price.

IMG_0184.jpeg

The inclusion is part of the stone. I don’t think it will interfere with the integrity of the jadeite. It doesn’t look like a crack.

I think the price is okay. It includes the diamonds as well. I guess such a setting would cost about $2000.

Given the inclusion, and if this were a brick and motor store, I would ask for a little discount. However, with the sale coming, you will get your discount.

Yes, proportions matter. This one looks fine. It is 4 mm thick. That setting has been designed to protect the point, which is both shallow and thin.
By the way, it is a lot more informative to read the KathyJade site in Chinese. For example, the Chinese information on this ring indicates that it is of an old mine
glassy type, and the colour is intense green. Such information is not available when you read the site in English. This is one of the closest they have to imperial Green for a down to earth price.

IMG_0184.jpeg

Hi Crimson,

Wow, thank you so much for answering all my questions (sorry about having so many!). Really, thank you so much for guiding me through my first jade purchase; I’d be so completely lost and overwhelmed otherwise!

I can’t read Chinese at all, and wish I could! Everything on the Kathy Jade website is in English for me now, and I can’t figure out how to view the original Chinese version so I can send a screenshot, so I’ll just attach the link - https://www.kathyjade.com/product/ARLMRLIU004 If it loads for you in Chinese, is there anything else you can learn about the colour/quality of this piece from the original Chinese description? I’m guessing ‘emerald green’ is less vibrant compared to ‘intense green’?

Oh if anyone’s purchased from Kathy Jade before, how does the purchase work? Do you know what currencies they accept and whether we’re able to bank wire? I’ve tried asking Kathy Jade, but have yet to hear back on that, but they did send me two more pictures showing the inclusions of this piece more clearly. Hopefully no cracks or anything significant…I find it hard to tell the inclusions apart from reflections in the pictures haha but I'm guessing these will be visible without a loupe?

Attachments

• IMG_1032.jpeg
    IMG_1032.jpeg
    238.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1033.jpeg
    IMG_1033.jpeg
    237.6 KB · Views: 5
This is just pretty random, but does anyone know why these pieces are so much less, when the colour looks pretty similar to my eyes and they're all icy? I'm curious :lol:

https://www.kathyjade.com/product/A2018AAAR0148
https://www.kathyjade.com/product/ARM2023A090
https://www.kathyjade.com/product/ARM2023A091
https://www.kathyjade.com/product/ARM2023A129

With the exception of the first ring, the rest are all quite thin.

How thick is the one you’re considering?

Have you gone to Chinatown in Sydney and checked out the jadeite in the shops? They can get the Hong Kong certificate for their stuff but you’ll need to becareful with pricing as they tend to be pricey. Worth checking out to compare though!

With the exception of the first ring, the rest are all quite thin.

How thick is the one you’re considering?

Have you gone to Chinatown in Sydney and checked out the jadeite in the shops? They can get the Hong Kong certificate for their stuff but you’ll need to becareful with pricing as they tend to be pricey. Worth checking out to compare though!
The one I'm considering is 0.4cm thick I think. This is the link :) https://www.kathyjade.com/product/ARLMRLIU004

I have't checked out the jade shops in Chinatown yet, but will try to do that this weekend when I have a bit more time. Do you have any recommendations, by any chance? :) Do you think they'll be pricier compared to Kathys?

This is just pretty random, but does anyone know why these pieces are so much less, when the colour looks pretty similar to my eyes and they're all icy? I'm curious :lol:

https://www.kathyjade.com/product/A2018AAAR0148
https://www.kathyjade.com/product/ARM2023A090
https://www.kathyjade.com/product/ARM2023A091
https://www.kathyjade.com/product/ARM2023A129

Ah, the first ring is old mine, intense green, and clearly thicker than the rest at 6mm.
The second and third are icy and Green.
The last one is intense green but thin. It looks as if it was deliberately cut a bit thinner so that it would not be too dark.
Just based on the photos and information, my ranking would be; 1, 3, 4, 2. The reason that the second one costs less is that it is smaller than the rest.

Ah, the first ring is old mine, intense green, and clearly thicker than the rest at 6mm.
The second and third are icy and Green.
The last one is intense green but thin. It looks as if it was deliberately cut a bit thinner so that it would not be too dark.
Just based on the photos and information, my ranking would be; 1, 3, 4, 2. The reason that the second one costs less is that it is smaller than the rest.

Hmm what is old mine? Is it considered better than icy+green? Do you know what kind of jade the pear piece I'm looking at is (https://www.kathyjade.com/product/ARLMRLIU004)? (Sorry I feel like a total noob :lol:)

Hmm what is old mine? Is it considered better than icy+green? Do you know what kind of jade the pear piece I'm looking at is (https://www.kathyjade.com/product/ARLMRLIU004)? (Sorry I feel like a total noob :lol:)

Old mine is better than just icy, it means very fine texture. The colour of old mine pieces is often also more saturated. The piece you are looking at has a standard Kathy description of Jadeite green which isn’t saying very much. They have that description on many of their pieces. There are far fewer pieces with the old mine, intense, green description, and even fewer with imperial green – see photo below for imperial green.IMG_0185.jpeg

FYI @Bookwyrm The Kathy Jade anniversary sale is live. 20% odd store wide.

FYI @Bookwyrm The Kathy Jade anniversary sale is live. 20% odd store wide.
Thank you for letting me know! I think I will go for the pear ring :) It’s so hard finding a nice pear jadeite piece, so I think I might as well jump on this one haha

Thank you for all your help and sharing all your expertise and feedback!

Hmm do you think I should ask Kathy Jade to send the piece out for further certification after I purchase it?

Hmm do you think I should ask Kathy Jade to send the piece out for further certification after I purchase it?

Personally I would because it costs so much. Unless it has a Nan Yang cert already?

Kathy Jade is in Taiwan and Nan Yang Gemological Institute is in Singapore, so it is not likely that the ring would have a Nan Yang cert. Kathy issues its own cert but it is best to get an independent report. I am not familiar with the gem labs in Taiwan though. Please check the return policy before buying. If you are getting it certified yourself after receiving it, please make sure you have enough time to get a lab report and then return it in time if you are not pleased with the result.
Of course I hope you like it and that all will go well for you, @Bookwyrm

Kathy Jade is in Taiwan and Nan Yang Gemological Institute is in Singapore, so it is not likely that the ring would have a Nan Yang cert. Kathy issues its own cert but it is best to get an independent report. I am not familiar with the gem labs in Taiwan though. Please check the return policy before buying. If you are getting it certified yourself after receiving it, please make sure you have enough time to get a lab report and then return it in time if you are not pleased with the result.
Of course I hope you like it and that all will go well for you, @Bookwyrm

I thought they were in Singapore! All this time! Years and years! No idea where I got that notion!

I thought they were in Singapore! All this time! Years and years! No idea where I got that notion!
Please don’t let that stop you from coming to Singapore though!
If Kathy Jade were here in SG I would have one more distraction :P2

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP

Featured Topics