shape
carat
color
clarity

Favorite colored gemstone w/ brown?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
when i wear brown i wear a royal blue sapphire in yellow gold, (like a princess diana ring) and mikimoto pearls. looks great!

How about peridot set in gold? I like the yellowish undertones of peridot with browns.

Thanks everyone for all your excellent suggestions!! After I complete my garnet project I will start looking for a stone with brown/orange/green undertones. I''m confident I will find the right one.

MZ: thanks for sharing everythinga bout your ring. I appreciate people who can see beyond just the normal diamond engagement ring. It is fabulous!!! Wear it in good health!

anne

hey I just saw this and thought of you - I don't know anything about it, just saw the pic :) Personally I think it would be better in yellow gold.... but the stone is fantastic - all the colors people were bringing up here :)

http://www.davidheming.com/prodDtl.cfm?collection=97&style=1149
1149.jpg

Date: 1/7/2007 4:12:44 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
hey I just saw this and thought of you - I don''t know anything about it, just saw the pic :) Personally I think it would be better in yellow gold.... but the stone is fantastic - all the colors people were bringing up here :)

Mystic topaz is created by coating the stone. I am not sure how long lasting the coating will be.

The treatment is referred to as "azotic"

I thini in time it might wear off in sections - really not sure how durable on permanent the coating is.

A friend of mine got a pink coated topaz where the coating got scratched.

Certainly not the "purists" idea of a valuable stone.

Rockdoc

Date: 1/7/2007 4:46:06 PM
Author: RockDoc

Date: 1/7/2007 4:12:44 PM
hey I just saw this and thought of you - I don''t know anything about it, just saw the pic :) Personally I think it would be better in yellow gold.... but the stone is fantastic - all the colors people were bringing up here :)

Mystic topaz is created by coating the stone. I am not sure how long lasting the coating will be.

The treatment is referred to as ''azotic''

I thini in time it might wear off in sections - really not sure how durable on permanent the coating is.

A friend of mine got a pink coated topaz where the coating got scratched.

Certainly not the ''purists'' idea of a valuable stone.

Rockdoc
LOL!!! See how much *I* know about colored stones? It was a good *idea* at least - be great if you could find a stone like that IRL - are there any? I know you can find watermelon tourmaline - but is there anything that has green and yellow or yellow and orange or orange and green or all three like this? It really is pretty - but I wouldn''t do a coating either.

Thanks rockdoc!

Check Google using Andalucite / Andalusite ( people commonly mis-spell it. Andalusite is the correct spelling). Lots on ebay. But much of it is poor quality stones.

It is a tri-chroic stone that change its color hue as it is turned....

Green - Gold - Reddish Orange are the three colors you see in the good ones.

They are common and affordable in sizes up to about 2 carats. Above that the get really rare.

It''s commonly referred to as "poor man''s alexandrite".

One of Rockdoc''s favorite stones, when they are large and of high quality.

Rockdoc

PS Lots of Mystic topaz on ebay too, generally really cheap. Check treatment when looking.

Hi Windycityaj, If this is for earings or pendant, sphene or sphalerite seem to fit the bill. These would not be good for a ring though as these are rather soft stones. As such they must be treated with kid gloves when put away with other jewelry. But they are in the colors you are looking for and so full of fire.

Doug

OOOOOOO.....I like the one the link above...YUMMY!!!

anne

For some reason this thread is always in the back of my head... always trying to find a nice stone... anyway I found one that would be fantastic IMO... its called a pakistani titanite. Here''s a link and some pics:
ctita536-sun2.jpg
octita426-1.jpg

http://www.wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/5728

Date: 2/12/2007 11:17:22 AM
For some reason this thread is always in the back of my head... always trying to find a nice stone... anyway I found one that would be fantastic IMO... its called a pakistani titanite. Here''s a link and some pics:
ctita536-sun2.jpg
octita426-1.jpg

Titanite is the same as sphene. It''s indeed an extremely nice stone, though it''s not very hard, not enough for a ring in my opinion (a bit less hard than glass) but it''s not expensive, you''ll see plenty of genuine spene on ebay.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the lovely suggestions!!! I am indeed going to go w/ a orange or citrine colored stone for my ring...I also decided ot go w/ 18k or higher yellow gold for a change. I have to save up my pennies....willl post pics when I decide.

anne

Date: 2/12/2007 12:38:15 PM
Author: colorchange

Date: 2/12/2007 11:17:22 AM
ctita536-sun2.jpg
octita426-1.jpg

Titanite is the same as sphene. It''s indeed an extremely nice stone, though it''s not very hard, not enough for a ring in my opinion (a bit less hard than glass) but it''s not expensive, you''ll see plenty of genuine spene on ebay.
LOVE the colors in that. TOO BAD it''s soft. Maybe make a nice pendant or earrings.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP

Featured Topics