shape
carat
color
clarity

First pearl studs

ean

Brilliant_Rock
Never thought I’d be a pearl studs kind of girl, I hate anything that sticks out of my ears too much honestly, but last week, a Dr. came into my workplace wearing some lustrous pearl studs and that gave me the itch.

I’m also turning 30 in a few weeks and figured it’s time to finally buy myself my first pearl.

Budget is ~500 and looking at Pearl Paradise because of their great return policy (I am in the US)

Looking at their 7- 7.5 mm triple A akoya or Hanadama studs (smaller lobes and build). Pros? Cons? Major difference?

I’m looking for one with the most luster and something that can withstand daily wear. I work with animals and the job can be physical at times.

I would go with pp’s AAA because you pay extra for hanadama certification but that doesn’t mean better pearls than the uncertified AAA. Would also go up a bit in size, like 8 - 8.5mm because people typically soon want larger. For ex I had a pair of 7.X and soon sold them at a loss because they soon seemed too small for any wow factor. Jmo and good luck with whatever you decide on.

I have a pair of champagne ss that are 9.5mm and a pair of akoya at 8.5mm. The akoya are super comfortable all day long. The ss need a bling dot. I can still wear them all day, but they do feel a bit heavier. I wouldn’t want smaller than 8.5mm. I’m 5’7” and thin/medium build. But, with the return policy, if would be easy to size up within the exchange period. Post pics when you get them!!!

If you are new to pearl earrings and have concerns about them sitting too high, I would advise against spending a lot of money on high end Akoyas.

Instead, I would advise getting some Cultured Freshwater Pearls (CFWPs) to try them for size first, and would highly recommend PP's Freshadamas.

Another option is button pearls and keshis as they sit lower on the ear.

DK :))

It might be worth doing something like ordering the biggest Hanadamas and the biggest AAAs you can get from PP in your budget and then returning whichever pair you don't like as much on you. If you talk to them directly, they should be able to select the most lustrous stock pairs in each category to send you.

They have 8.5-9mm AAAs for $485: https://www.pearlparadise.com/colle.../85-90-mm-white-akoya-aaa-pearl-stud-earrings

and these 7-7.5mm Hanadamas for $550: https://www.pearlparadise.com/colle...s/70-75-mm-white-hanadama-pearl-stud-earrings

They also have occasional sales, if you're not in a rush to get these in time for your birthday.

Some people say freshwater pearls are sturdier so you could also consider their Freshadamas which cost less: https://www.pearlparadise.com/colle...ite-freshadama-freshwater-pearl-stud-earrings

If you want super lustrous and an upgrade policy and know you want to go with small pearls, there's also Moline who has this 6-6.5mm "almost gem" pair for $485. You could ask him to take comparison photos of other pairs he has too, he's very helpful: https://www.molinepdg.com/product-page/akoya-almost-gem-6-6-5mm-14kw-studs

And lastly, you could think about ordering from Takahashi Pearls. They won't be returnable but would give you good bang for your buck. I have a pair of Moline Natural White 7-7.5mm AAAs and a pair of pinked 8-8.5mm Takahashi "gem quality" pearls that I got on the PP livestream. Here's a comparison photo. The Moline AAAs are on the loops, the Takahashis are loose. Sorry that I don't have any PP pearls to compare these to.

1722634840587.png

Reactions: ean
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!!

I think I’ll go with 7.5- 8mm AAA akoyas.
I had an 8mm oec cluster that felt a little too big on me as studs that I had converted to dangles.

Does anyone know if they are gonna have sales anytime soon?

If you are new to pearl earrings and have concerns about them sitting too high, I would advise against spending a lot of money on high end Akoyas.

Instead, I would advise getting some Cultured Freshwater Pearls (CFWPs) to try them for size first, and would highly recommend PP's Freshadamas.

Any reputable button and keshi sellers? I’d love to have a choker keshi one day.

Any reputable button and keshi sellers? I’d love to have a choker keshi one day.

I would try Kojima Pearls or pearlzaustralia as in the Etsy shop of @katbran.

It might be worth doing something like ordering the biggest Hanadamas and the biggest AAAs you can get from PP in your budget and then returning whichever pair you don't like as much on you. If you talk to them directly, they should be able to select the most lustrous stock pairs in each category to send you.

They have 8.5-9mm AAAs for $485: https://www.pearlparadise.com/colle.../85-90-mm-white-akoya-aaa-pearl-stud-earrings

and these 7-7.5mm Hanadamas for $550: https://www.pearlparadise.com/colle...s/70-75-mm-white-hanadama-pearl-stud-earrings

They also have occasional sales, if you're not in a rush to get these in time for your birthday.

Some people say freshwater pearls are sturdier so you could also consider their Freshadamas which cost less: https://www.pearlparadise.com/colle...ite-freshadama-freshwater-pearl-stud-earrings

If you want super lustrous and an upgrade policy and know you want to go with small pearls, there's also Moline who has this 6-6.5mm "almost gem" pair for $485. You could ask him to take comparison photos of other pairs he has too, he's very helpful: https://www.molinepdg.com/product-page/akoya-almost-gem-6-6-5mm-14kw-studs

And lastly, you could think about ordering from Takahashi Pearls. They won't be returnable but would give you good bang for your buck. I have a pair of Moline Natural White 7-7.5mm AAAs and a pair of pinked 8-8.5mm Takahashi "gem quality" pearls that I got on the PP livestream. Here's a comparison photo. The Moline AAAs are on the loops, the Takahashis are loose. Sorry that I don't have any PP pearls to compare these to.

1722634840587.png

Amazing!! I’d love to try Takahashi one day, the shipping fee and the customs fee is the only thing that’s putting me off

yes, im worried about the OP's work related duties
@ean be very careful if you have to change clothes at work, i have given up wearing earrings to work because we wear an apron and when i put it on or especially take it off was always getting caught around my ears (i do not have either big or sticky out ears but i do wear a baseball cap) to the point the earring (both diamond studs, pearl studs, dangles, what ever) would come off, lucky i found most of them caught in my bra

also my cat -who is a very gentle soul, once got a claw caught in my earring -it hurt both of us equally
i would follow DK's advice and buy some freshies just to see how you go

yes, im worried about the OP's work related duties
@ean be very careful if you have to change clothes at work, i have given up wearing earrings to work because we wear an apron and when i put it on or especially take it off was always getting caught around my ears (i do not have either big or sticky out ears but i do wear a baseball cap) to the point the earring (both diamond studs, pearl studs, dangles, what ever) would come off, lucky i found most of them caught in my bra

also my cat -who is a very gentle soul, once got a claw caught in my earring -it hurt both of us equally
i would follow DK's advice and buy some freshies just to see how you go

Ohhh thanks for reminding me. I do answer phones constantly. I wonder if that will affect the pearl itself!

I recommend you consider button pearls because you said you don't like earrings which stick out too much. Button pearls are like half to three quarter round pearls. They have a flat or shallow rounded base so sit closer to the lobe. Means you can go up in size a little. They will be much cheaper too.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP