shape
carat
color
clarity

Having trouble finding spinels anywhere

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Date: 11/2/2004 8:47:17 PM
Author: mogok
Hello,

These spinels show some natural beryllium content (Peretti).

One of the questions I had few months ago... (but dont get affraid its just my thinking...) was what could happen if you heat spinels using the beryllium technology? As spinel melting point is higher than corundum it does not sounds a crazy idea.
Most mogok spinels are dark in tone, Namya spinels are brighter and contain beryllium so may be something is possible?

There isn''t any better place to produce such testing and news than AIGS... And I can''t think of any better way of stopping undercover treatment than being the first to test feasibility and disclose. At least in theory this makes sense.

My cookbook-level thoughts were a bit different: what if Be containing rough is subject to heat treatment to redistribute color centres and improve saturation... Firepit technology may well suffice.

pretty much my hypothesis too. But in this case the dopant is already there, so what changes? Color distribution ?

This, unless I do follow my craziest project yet and come to AIGS for your December class.
10.gif

Hi Ana,
Well I would be glad to meet you one of these days in Bangkok, sure we will have a lot of interesting discussions... The next Synthetic and treatment class is beginning in january for 1 month... Will be fun with several long week end trips to sapphire mines in Pailin and Laos!
Anyway I will make some tests soon...
All the best,

Dear Mogok,

I've been writing questions about the makeup of the class and accommodation on AIGS's forum for... a few days. If all things go well, believe me, I'll be there.

Since my profession has nothing to do with gems, this will be a great vacation if there ever was one. Can't wait!

Hi Ana,
No kidding... You come in december? That will be great: You will be able to join some field trips to sapphire mines in Pailin and Kanchanaburi! I will be very happy to receive you and help you during your stay here. I''m sure that we will have some good discussions and fun here.
Excellent...

All the best!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP