shape
carat
color
clarity

heated stones?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

coolguynamek

Rough_Rock
Does heated stones have a great value for sapphire, ruby, emerald ?

I have seen in lot of websites heated and enhanced stones of more than 5 carats are sold for high values.. is it true?

Let me talk about Sapphires and Rubies (I don't know emeralds)

Well - it depends on the quality of the stone. But no - untreated stones are more expensive then treated ones.

All things being equal - a nice quality untreated stone is much more rare (than a nice quality treated stone) and is therefore much more expensive.

Also the origin of the stone can greatly affect the price.

You will find that as size goes up - price goes up many times higher. Good quality rubies and Sapphhires above 3cts are hard to find and are very expensive.

Hello,
Rubies and sapphires are heated in order to try to enhance their color and clarity. Emerald are not heated but oiled as emeralds cannot stand high temperatures (I think that no emerald can survive over 700 or 800 degres) but rubies and sapphires are heated nowadays up to may be 1900 degres.
Fine quality large size rubies and sapphires are very rare and so even heated they are still exceptional gemstones. They have value as the main value factor in gem business in Beauty. Origin is a plus but should not be seen as a quality factor as there are much more "fish tank" quality stones coming from Kashmir and Burma than real beauties. Now when you have 2 beautiful gems of equivalent beauty if one of them is not heated, its beauty is 100% natural, and this stone will probably please more people and will so have a higher value.
Quite logical.

All the best,

One important point - heating is done to improve the beauty of a stone (and the value of course) – for example, many brown zircons become blue on heating. So the point here is not to make it more valuable than an unheated stone, but to make it more valuable than before it was heated. Heating is a universally accepted treatment for many gemstones, and is usually a non destructive and permanent way of improving both colour and clarity. clarity.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP