shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me evaluate this vintage marquise

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
First off, it drives me nuts to spell it marquise as a French speaker because with that spelling it should be pronounced "Mar-keys" not "Mar-Key". Marquis should be the spelling for the sound "Mar-key". Anyhoo now that we've gotten that out of the way :lol: .

I got an old cut marquis ring. All of my other old cut stones are round. I have one brilliant cut marquis and is very small, but sparkly. This new stone is quite pretty. The sparkle is more subtle though and shimmery. So I don't know if this is normal, or if it's because the stone is shallow. I am just guessing that the stone is a shallow one because of the measurements, but again, I know NOTHING about this shape. It is 10.33X4.99X2.60 and is .79 ct.

It is currently in a bezel so I don't know if that also affects things. I have three youtube vids to show you. The third is in the most unflattering lighting and the first two are in shade on a sunny day. I welcome your thoughts!

I also know nothing about Mar-Key’s, and I agree with the spelling annoyance :lol-2:

Love the E-W setting though!!!

I also know nothing about Mar-Key’s, and I agree with the spelling annoyance :lol-2:

Love the E-W setting though!!!

If I keep it I don't know if this will be its permanent home. But we will see ;)

I'm so happy you bought it! I had put it on my watch list, and I was so relieved when it sold quickly! :lol:

I think bezel + flat table is what makes the stone a bit sleepy. I wonder if the performance would be different in a different setting? That being said, I like the E-W setting.

I'm so happy you bought it! I had put it on my watch list, and I was so relieved when it sold quickly! :lol:

I think bezel + flat table is what makes the stone a bit sleepy. I wonder if the performance would be different in a different setting? That being said, I like the E-W setting.

How am I not surprised that we had similar things on our lists lol. If I did reset (which would not be for awhile since I keep finding cool things) I would probably want a setting similar to what @Mjay just did on her amazing moval. NS with engraving but maybe a faux bezel.

Since vintage marquis are few and far between, it's not like I can look at others to easily compare!

I’m so confused now. The cut is named after the Marquise de Pompador. Is “Marquise” in that context pronounced “mark-key”?

I’m so confused now. The cut is named after the Marquise de Pompador. Is “Marquise” in that context pronounced “mark-key”?

Is this a woman? If so, then Mar-Keys. So maybe what is going on is that we should be pronouncing mar-key mar-keys. But right now the way it spelled is with an E on the end, which would mean that you should say the S sound. Without an E on the end, then it would be “key”. And that’s how I’ve heard it pronounced.

But what do you think of the stone?

Is this a woman? If so, then Mar-Keys. So maybe what is going on is that we should be pronouncing mar-key mar-keys. But right now the way it spelled is with an E on the end, which would mean that you should say the S sound. Without an E on the end, then it would be “key”. And that’s how I’ve heard it pronounced.

But what do you think of the stone?

She was King Louis XV’s mistress, and he had the diamond cut to resemble her lips. So I guess it should be pronounced “mar-keys!”

The diamond looks promising. I’m a fan of open culets. I’d like to see it loose or in a different setting to know for sure though. I can’t tell if it looks sleepy because of the cut or the setting.

She was King Louis XV’s mistress, and he had the diamond cut to resemble her lips. So I guess it should be pronounced “mar-keys!”

The diamond looks promising. I’m a fan of open culets. I’d like to see it loose or in a different setting to know for sure though. I can’t tell if it looks sleepy because of the cut or the setting.

Yes and I am in a return window haha so can’t remove from the setting to tell.

I didn’t know the history behind the diamond ! So cool!

I also don’t know a lot about this cut. I think it should be evaluated as a rare example of a very old cut, and not so much based on “performance” per se. how many have we ever even seen turn up?

Can you see the faceting when worn?

I’m unsure what this cut should look like but I agree with the others who said it is likely not benefiting from that setting. The stone looks very leaky and so I think it would really wake up in an open airy mount that allowed light to enter from all sides and especially didn’t enclose the back. It’s being kind of swallowed here even though in principle I like the setting quite a lot.

If you keep it and scrap the gold what is the investment?

I also don’t know a lot about this cut. I think it should be evaluated as a rare example of a very old cut, and not so much based on “performance” per se. how many have we ever even seen turn up?

Can you see the faceting when worn?

I’m unsure what this cut should look like but I agree with the others who said it is likely not benefiting from that setting. The stone looks very leaky and so I think it would really wake up in an open airy mount that allowed light to enter from all sides and especially didn’t enclose the back. It’s being kind of swallowed here even though in principle I like the setting quite a lot.

If you keep it and scrap the gold what is the investment?

This is where I struggle for sure because the collector in me loves it because it's an interesting and unusual stone! And old cut marquise aren't easy to find.

The setting is really lightweight so scrapping the gold won't give me much back. The entire piece was $1200.

Also the back is totally open.

IMG_3413.jpeg

And other vid where it’s lookin good lol. That’s when I think “I will keep it!” Then I think of the cost of a reset and think - maybe not. I have a couple of weeks to decide.

ETA - yes I can see the faceting.

This is where I struggle for sure because the collector in me loves it because it's an interesting and unusual stone! And old cut marquise aren't easy to find.

The setting is really lightweight so scrapping the gold won't give me much back. The entire piece was $1200.

IMG_3413.jpeg

And other vid where it’s lookin good lol. That’s when I think “I will keep it!” Then I think of the cost of a reset and think - maybe not. I have a couple of weeks to decide.

Amazing how different it looks in different lighting! I'm glad you can hang onto it for a few weeks.

The price for the carat weight is very good. And even though it’s not perfect I do really like the current mounting.

The price for the carat weight is very good. And even though it’s not perfect I do really like the current mounting.

I thought it was a good price given the rarity of the stone. I will certainly keep everyone updated.

I thought it was a good price given the rarity of the stone. I will certainly keep everyone updated.

IMG_3413.jpeg

Wow- I think the diamond looks so pretty in the video.
Would you have any local antique/vintage jewelers that you can bring the ring to for their opinion?
That is what I did with my marquise.

@Mreader lovely stone! I like the stone set E-W and don’t mind the setting per se, but am thinking the stone would benefit from a more open setting to get some extra light in and this would likely liven her up :)

Wow- I think the diamond looks so pretty in the video.
Would you have any local antique/vintage jewelers that you can bring the ring to for their opinion?
That is what I did with my marquise.

I don't have anyone in my area with that specialty sadly! Your stone looks like it has a lot of sparkle! The colors in the photos you posted are gorgeous.

I think it's a pretty stone/ring. The stone is spready-it would probably benefit from a Dolly cup. But only worth it if you plan to keep it in the current setting.

Currently, it's a "deal" but if you have to reset it then it's no longer a "deal." :geek2:

Currently, it's a "deal" but if you have to reset it then it's no longer a "deal." :geek2:
Agreed... on the other hand, I haven't seen many -- any?? -- of these diamonds in my hunting. Curious if you have come across many?

It’s a deal. I love the setting so you don’t need to change it imo. The bezel setting will accentuate the facets on a leaky stone, but it might make it look darker which comes with more contrast.

I can’t see the stone close up the first set of videos you posted videos don’t wrk anymore

In some light, the performance looks shimmery and beautiful. I’d love to see a close up or “still” top down.

It’s a deal. I love the setting so you don’t need to change it imo. The bezel setting will accentuate the facets on a leaky stone, but it might make it look darker which comes with more contrast.

I can’t see the stone close up the first set of videos you posted videos don’t wrk anymore

In some light, the performance looks shimmery and beautiful. I’d love to see a close up or “still” top down.

Hmmm - all the vids work for me. I will try to get some more shots later

She is very pretty, no doubt there.

I suppose if you could find another in a setting you adored then it would be a better buy. That could take a long time. And from that comp you posted, it might not cost much less than this diamond + setting fee... and you'd get exactly what you want :read:

The “s” at the end should be sounded out. I, too, had always thought it was silent until I learned I was wrong when I was at GIA for my G.G. Good to know!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP