shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me identify if these are real or fake pearls

Pirate2789

Rough_Rock
Trade
So i found this pearls in my house and i want you to help me identify if these are fake or real pearls and if real how much they would cost thank you
20240914_145018.jpg

The drill holes seem quite large for the size of the pearls-- unless they are very small pearls? Large drill holes are typically found in imitation pearls.
Try this test: rub 2 of them together gently. What do you feel?
Real pearls feel gritty when rubbed this way.
Imitation pearls glide smoothly.

The drill holes seem quite large for the size of the pearls-- unless they are very small pearls? Large drill holes are typically found in imitation pearls.

These are very small pearls when i rubbed them it sounds like touching the surface of paper if thats what you meant by gritty

It endend up being plastic i took the burn test and the surface burned immediately when exposed on naked fire, real pearls dont get damaged by fire only fake ones,here are the results
12.jpg

plus i scratched the surface of the pearl with a knife and white powder didn't come out of the pearl but small plastic peaces.Im sorry for your time and thank your for answering this ended up being devils trickery, because these so called pearls appeared out of tin air i literally don't have pearls around my house this is i don't know demons tried to play me out.

Last edited:
It endend up being plastic i took the burn test and the surface burned immediately when exposed on naked fire, real pearls dont get damaged by fire only fake ones,here are the results
12.jpg

plus i scratched the surface of the pearl with a knife and white powder didn't come out of the pearl but small plastic peaces.Im sorry for your time and thank your for answering this ended up being devils trickery, because these so called pearls appeared out of tin air i literally don't have pearls around my house this is i don't know demons tried to play me out.

nothing to feel bad over
perhaps this has sparked an interest in wearing pearls for you ?
real pearls come in a million different price points

and as an aside fake pearls are not always cheap and have been worn my rich and fashionable ladies over the years - Coco Channel, Queen Alexandra (wife of king of the UK after Queen Victoria) Jackie Kennedy, Princess Diana, Barbara Bush to name just a few

Nothing wrong with faux, it’s called costume jewellery and some pieces are very collectible.
When it comes to testing gems it is not recommended to use forces or acts that can damage the item being tested.
A simple test for pearls is to gently rub the surface against your tooth and see if its gritty, real pearls are gritty.
Likewise testing amber, you heat the tip of a pin or needle and press on somewhere inconspicuous to check the smell. Real amber smells like a tree (pleasant smell) quite different to plastic which smells like plastic (acrid smell).
And don’t go testing gems by trying to scratch them, the scratches are permanent.
And no, you don’t test the “hardness of diamond” with a hammer. Hardness in relation to gems relates to their susceptibility of abrasion not to their ability to resist impact.

I used to recommend that people try rubbing a pearl against their tooth but no longer, after reading about a pearl that was scratched that way. Teeth are harder than pearls and can scratch them.

Now I just recommend rubbing a pearl against another pearl (they have the same hardness) or using the temperature test. Real pearls are cooler than fake ones, which can be detected by our highly-temperature sensitive lips. To do this test one needs to have other pearls on hand that one knows to be real or fake, as then they can be compared.

Using a 10x loupe can also help identify real vs. fake pearls. Real pearls look very smooth under 10x magnification. Fake pearl have a rougher looking texture.

nothing to feel bad over
perhaps this has sparked an interest in wearing pearls for you ?
real pearls come in a million different price points

and as an aside fake pearls are not always cheap and have been worn my rich and fashionable ladies over the years - Coco Channel, Queen Alexandra (wife of king of the UK after Queen Victoria) Jackie Kennedy, Princess Diana, Barbara Bush to name just a few

I dont wanna wear pearls i wanna sell them so i am asking can i sell them and what would be the price it ended up there are no fake pearls just natural and cultured pearls.Cultured pearls were worn by as you said Princess Diana,Barbara Bush etc..
I guess i will never find out unless i go to the jewelry store and i am about to do it tomorrow since today is Sunday and no one is working on Sundays

A few definitions may help clarify. :)
Pearls can be real or imitation.

Real pearls
form inside living mollusks in salt water or fresh water. There are two categories of real pearls:
Natural pearls are wild pearls, formed in nature without intervention of humans. Natural pearls are rare and expensive.
Cultured pearls are farmed pearls. The pearl market has been a cultured pearl market for about a hundred years.

Imitation pearls are made in factories. They are also called fake, faux (French for "fake"), simulated, glass (if the bead under the coating is glass), plastic (if the bead is plastic) and shell pearls. The coating is usually made from a substance derived from fish scales.

Jackie Kennedy's famous 3 strand necklace were imitation pearls made by Kenneth Jay Lane. So were Barbara Bush's multi strand pearl necklaces. Kate Middleton has worn imitation drop-shaped pearl earrings. Coco Chanel wore long stands of fake pearls. Brooke Astor said she wore fake pearls at her country home. They are more common than one might think.

A destructive test for imitation pearls is wiping them with acetone. It will dissolve the coating. I don't recommend it unless you don't care about ruining the fake pearl. A wipe with aetone will not damage real pearls.
I don't recommend trying to scratch them or burn them. You could burn yourself-- and scratching could end up scratching real pearls.

Last edited:
A few definitions may help clarify. :)
Pearls can be real or imitation.

Real pearls
form inside living mollusks in salt water or fresh water. There are two categories of real pearls:
Natural pearls are wild pearls, formed in nature without intervention of humans. Natural pearls are rare and expensive.
Cultured pearls are farmed pearls. The pearl market has been a cultured pearl market for about a hundred years.

Imitation pearls are made in factories. They are also called fake, faux (French for "fake"), simulated, glass (if the bead under the coating is glass), plastic (if the bead is plastic) and shell pearls. The coating is usually made from a substance derived from fish scales.

Jackie Kennedy's famous 3 strand necklace were imitation pearls made by Kenneth Jay Lane. So were Barbara Bush's multi strand pearl necklaces. Kate Middleton has worn imitation drop-shaped pearl earrings. Coco Chanel wore long stands of fake pearls. Brooke Astor said she wore fake pearls at her country home. They are more common than one might think.

A destructive test for imitation pearls is wiping them with acetone. It will dissolve the coating. I don't recommend it unless you don't care about ruining the fake pearl. A wipe with aetone will not damage real pearls.
I don't recommend trying to scratch them or burn them. You could burn yourself-- and scratching could end up scratching real pearls.

This is the inside of the pearl i burned today it seems like it is real after all or cultured pearl,anyway it is real it looks like calcite prismatic layer that is found inside real pearls
5.jpg

I sacrificed one pearl just for you guys lol three more left...
Are you not entertained!!!

Haha, something to do between loads of laundry.

But seriously, I can't tell anything from that photo. It could be plastic.

Haha, something to do between loads of laundry.

But seriously, I can't tell anything from that photo. It could be plastic.

I hope that it is plastic because if it is real i would be really depressed as real pearls are expensive it would be like burning a lot of money.And i blame the internet for burning my pearl and those videos on youtube encouraging people to burn their pearls as a way to confirm that their pearls are real.Honestly burning the pearl makes me feel like the Joker and the scene from Batman The Dark Knight where he burns tons of money....Wow just wow i never ever even dreamed that i will become the Vilain one day

Attachments

• yaburnt-joker.gif
    yaburnt-joker.gif
    3.2 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Um...
I hate to say it but even if they are real cultured pearls, 3 little pearls are not worth a lot. It might actually be hard to sell them.

Strands of pearls are matched. Three loose pearls...what would one even do with them? Maybe a crafter might buy them to do something with.

Um...
I hate to say it but even if they are real cultured pearls, 3 little pearls are not worth a lot. It might actually be hard to sell them.

Strands of pearls are matched. Three loose pearls...what would one even do with them? Maybe a crafter might buy them to do something with.

You are right no one will buy them i should just give up on the idea of selling them and that's why i am heading to the jewerly store tomorrow and see what they have to say and offer.Listen this pearls appeared out of a tin air i am not lying i was just sitting on my chair and when i looked on the floor i saw three pearls and after that another one appeared so they have to worth something.God moves in mysterious ways so i don't think that they are worthless.I should have not burned that one pearl but i was fooled by the internet

Last edited:
Good luck! And tell us what the jeweler says, please.

I dont wanna wear pearls i wanna sell them so i am asking can i sell them and what would be the price it ended up there are no fake pearls just natural and cultured pearls.Cultured pearls were worn by as you said Princess Diana,Barbara Bush etc..
I guess i will never find out unless i go to the jewelry store and i am about to do it tomorrow since today is Sunday and no one is working on Sundays

cultured pearls are not fake
i was talking about actual faux aka plastic, crystal or whatever

Well, don’t quit your day job. I guarantee God isn’t giving you any promising mysteries with three small white maybe-not-imitation-pearls - even if they are real you’ll be lucky to net $10 each.

Well, don’t quit your day job. I guarantee God isn’t giving you any promising mysteries with three small white maybe-not-imitation-pearls - even if they are real you’ll be lucky to net $10 each.

I am not selling them 10 bucks or 100 bucks or even 1000 bucks will do nothing these pearls came out of a tin air and are priceless they are not from this world but from the spiritual no mater how weird and crazy that sounds.I just gonna go in the store to ask if they are real or imitation that's it so no matter what the outcome i will not sell them these are priceless no money can buy them.I just feel bad for burning one because of listening to the stupid internet.

Good luck! And tell us what the jeweler says, please.

Since you wanna know more than the others,i went to the jeweler and he said that they are plastic filled with some fake material so they are pearls but imitation.There you go now you can sleep at ease lol.And i am glad that they are fake at least i don't feel bad for burning that one pearl and there are no real pearls all the pearls are cultured or imitation,real pearls belong to the museum you can't sell them as they are found in just 1 in 200 000 oysters.Some spirit from the other side got me good hahah.No but true story wheter you believe in the spiritual or not i swear on God i found them on the floor i got up from my chair and saw three pearls on the floor and as i picked them up another one pop out,out of thin air and i don't have pearls in my home never had any.

Last edited:
But like i said although these pearls are 100% fake to me they are not fake because they are not from this world and i dont care if someone believes me or not.

Well, I'm glad you found out, to set your mind at ease.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP