shape
carat
color
clarity

Help - serious problems with popular online vendor

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/15/2007 8:25:33 AM
Author: *Lindsey*

Date: 2/15/2007 5:44:05 AM
Author: DiaGem

Date: 2/14/2007 7:00:09 PM
Where do you see the exposed girdles... in which pictures???

Hey DiaGem, I see them in the picture they provided where Whiteflash circled the damaged stones (where the girdles are chipped.)

In any case, I am attaching a picture of my shared prong rings. I don't have a side profile shot of them, but even from a top down view I think people will be able to tell that the metal comes all of the way up to the girdle. With my rings on, my diamonds can't actually touch. You can see that the metal protects the edges of the diamonds. The rings are pushed close together, that's about as close as they get to each other.

rings3.jpg
Very nice ring BTW...
But you are missing my point..., to visualize the fact as you are saying "Look at the exposes girdles in those pictures... ", you will need a close up of a top view to determine that point...., there is no way to visualize exposed or girdles bulging out of the ring from a profile view only!!!

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Strm''s comment about the continuation of this thread reflects my sentiments. I was hoping that when I saw this thread pop up again that things had been resolved, but unfortunately that is not the case. For some reason having the OP putting Brian''s e-mails "out there" just makes me uncomfortable. I differ from Strm in that I kind of feel that Brian had no choice but to respond, because it''s possible that his and WF''s policies and responses were being attacked, and for the sake of business he needed to respond. However I don''t see what the OP hopes to gain by posting each and every correspondence between he and WF. In my opinion it makes resolution of the situation that much more difficult.

ebonykawai

Shiny_Rock
I was going to reply to this thread yesterday, but I didn''t. I have no qualms now about saying that this thread should probably be closed. I''ve seen some very nasty and bad things happen on forums, and when people start posting other people''s emails for the world to see...that''s getting into an area that''s just not too cool. While we all could use a bit of moral support when we''re going through difficulties, dragging the world into a complicated dispute is maybe not the right thing to do on a public forum. It doesn''t seem fair to either party.

I hope everything turns out well for both parties.

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/15/2007 10:24:13 AM
Author: ebonykawai
I was going to reply to this thread yesterday, but I didn''t. I have no qualms now about saying that this thread should probably be closed. I''ve seen some very nasty and bad things happen on forums, and when people start posting other people''s emails for the world to see...that''s getting into an area that''s just not too cool. While we all could use a bit of moral support when we''re going through difficulties, dragging the world into a complicated dispute is maybe not the right thing to do on a public forum. It doesn''t seem fair to either party.

I hope everything turns out well for both parties.

I agree. This thread has gone way too far.

As to posting the content of private emails,............. Other Forums where I participate, that action is expressly forbidden.

So seems the case on Price Scope as well:

24. Do not post any private information including emails, personal pages, and usernames on other sites or IM''s on the open forums. Any posting of other members’ personal details without permission will be banned.

The Price Scope Forum Policies

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
I think that the thread should be left alone. Both client and vendor posted emails, and those could possibly be removed for violating policy. However, no one has said anything rude or innapropriate, and I think it''s important for customers to understand how vendors resolve their problems. I wouldn''t say this thread has gotten "nasty" at all -- although there is obviously a difference between what the two parties think has happened. I say, let it stay.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2007 10:49:34 AM
Author: *Lindsey*
I think that the thread should be left alone. Both client and vendor posted emails, and those could possibly be removed for violating policy. However, no one has said anything rude or innapropriate, and I think it's important for customers to understand how vendors resolve their problems. I wouldn't say this thread has gotten 'nasty' at all -- although there is obviously a difference between what the two parties think has happened. I say, let it stay.
lindsey, only rtbrown posted private (hello!
37.gif
) emails including another persons words, on this public forum. brian posted his own words (NOT someone elses!) to reflect what was said on HIS part since it appears the portion that rtbrown posted was out of context. there is nothing wrong with posting your own words, as you can choose what you want to make public but posting what someone else said in email.....not cool.
14.gif

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Bumping again....hahaha Just to say belle: you just typed what I what I was trying to say. You have a way with words.
2.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
RE: private emails. The idea of prohibiting posting of private emails is to protect personal information (e.g. names, emails, address, etc).

Since no private information has been disclosed in the emails posted in this thread, we think there is no violation of the forum policies.
34.gif

{added} Let's try to keep this thread on topic

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/11/2007 1:52:59 PM
Author: RockDoc
Gee, with all the attorneys here, I''m surprised that no one has mentioned warranty law.

There are express warranties and implied warranties.

If a ring set is made, and the implied use is that they are going to be worn as a set, there is an implied warranty for fitness that unless its disclaimed in the sales documents, is pretty standard that it exists.

In plain language, a product has to be good for use in its obvious purpose.

Every case however, is unique. With the situation of the gold yellowing, exposure to different chemicals, or bodily acid levels could be the cause but rhodium plating it again is minor, and probably considered as a maintenence issue.

As to the diamonds chipping, that is a bit ''strange'' that one diamond that was set securely was the cause of damaging several others. As Julie mentioned there may be a situation due to the rings/diamonds making contact with each other due to shifting on a non ''perfectly'' round finger. However, I think this would occur in more people, than not. Everyone''s fingers change sizes with weather, and two rings made to be worn with each other, should be checked by the manufacturer or the seller to ascertain, if by reasonable tolerances, that the ring/diamonds will not cause self destruction in a normal wear situation.

As to rt''s comment about him not being an expert and the seller being one, that definately has a basis in case law. Someone ''in the business'' does have a sometimes potentially unfair advantage over a novice customer. The test is what would a reasonable person not being affected in this matter think?

It will be interesting to see the conclusions made by an independent expert. I do ponder however, if these are made without the finger in question also being present to judge any ''tilt'' ramifications, if it can be totally conclusive.

It may however be possible through microscopic analysis, to see what metal imperfections occured in the wearing of the rings at issue. Percussion markings, that can cause ''problems'' are common, and sometimes the wearer doesn''t realize it.

Just yesterday, I looked at a ring that had five percussion marks in it. All were in different locations on the ring. The ring was 2 weeks old and the customer insisted she hadn''t hit it on anything. Were they caused in the short time it was worn or was it delivered that way at the time of purchase? It was an 18karat ring, so the metal is rather ''soft'' - and the customer stated that they looked at the condition of the ring when they purchased it and there were no marks.

This was one situation where you couldn''t make a conclusion, but more likely the little markings were made in wearing it.

Then there is the consideration in RT''s situation of how long is a ''warranty'' supposed to last?

Hopefully, he has insurance coverage, that will at least reimburse his expenses in getting the ring remade, or at least providing partial funding, for him to get a platinum one, paying the difference in cost.

Hope this helps. Looking forward to hearing about the appraiser''s conclusion report.

Rockdoc
Actually, I already mentioned the possibility of a warranty.

See page 1 of the thread:

"I too would be upset. Being an attorney, you already know this, but you need to examine your sales documents to determine whether you have any warranty on the product. "

And besides, he is a lawyer... he knows what a warranty is...

bluehue

Shiny_Rock
All this lawyer talk is absurd. Damages are minimal. This is a non-starter as far as lawsuits go. All of this legal posturing only escalates the situation.

In an attempt to have a positive out of this thread, I would hold this entire thread up as an example of how PSers should not go about a customer complaint on a custom job. Learn from this example.

Bluehue, J.D.

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
Glad there were no violations in this thread, because I believe it should stay.

This is a public consumer based forum...

Most consumers are "shocked" to find out that a diamond can be damaged. There is the myth that it is the only indestructible matter out there. Just like the myth of the 4c''s equal a good diamond. That is what 99.9% of consumers have in their head when buying a diamond.

Having access to pricesope is priceless. It gives us, (the 001%) endless opportunities to educate ourselves. I love the banter between vendors/consumers. The good and the bad. It is just another opportunity to learn.

Hope all ends well!

blingless

Rough_Rock
From the PS About page:

"By the way, you merchants can advertise here, but it only will work for you if you are honest and provide good products and services that customers appreciate. If you don''t behave, they will splash your name all over the forum, and then anyone who searches for your name will find out if you''re naughty or nice." hmmmm...... wonder what new visitors will think of this thread.

While I''ve enjoyed the saga its $1,100 that we are talking about. It makes me giggle when I think about the cost of all the lawyer posts in here even at associate rates it has to far exceed the $1,100 repair invoice.

Lindsey, nice hand....hehehe, I love the set Quest made for you its beautiful thanks so much for mentioning them.

Unearthed

Shiny_Rock
Well I understand that I have about zero credibility because I don''t have a high post count, but I''d like to comment on this situation. As a retail manager with a number of employees who do custom designs I feel I am more than qualified to pass judgement on this issue. I don''t deal in jewelry design but with gross sales totaling over $55 million last year and many customer projects totaling over $25k I feel I have an understanding of the emotions coming from both sides.

First off, no matter what the customer wants you to do, the vendor is the one who should truly know what is possible and what will simply not work. I''ve (on more than one occasion) had customers admit the problem they are having is/was a direct result of what they requested. I trust my salespeople to tell our customer, who came to us with a dream, that what they desire is just not going to work within the scope of their project. It may work in another situation, but it won''t work in theirs. If this means they leave angry because we won''t do something, that''s ok with me. We do things right or we simply do not do them.

However, we do on occasions have customers who I consider "Needy." Do not be insulted, Ryan. It''s not a bad tag. It just means they desire more attention and work. With the amount of your purchase I would be happy to provide you with this time. I know WF deals with some big amounts, but I''m sure an order such as this one would perk their interest. What I''m trying to say is I am almost positive they were willing to give you the time and help you desired.

With all that said...I find it very hard to believe that with all the communication that went back and forth, and with them having to know that you were a customer who was going to require time and effort to satisfy, they would hide any information from you. I''m not saying they told you there would be a problem, but I think they A) Did not know how bad this problem would be or B) Did in fact tell you. With that said, I do not believe they owe you 100% of whatever you want. Repair, replace etc...this was a two way street when you guys designed the thing together, it should be a two way street now. On their end, it''s the cost of doing business. On yours, I hate to say it, but it can be the cost of custom work. I''m not going to venture a guess of percent or dollar amount they should pay or discount because I have no idea what the margins are on jewelry or custom designs. Nobody wins in situations like these...and blame or fault is, in the end, unimportant.

I wish you both a speedy resolution.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I won't go into detail in this matter, but there are two or even three sides to these situations.
My understanding is that this particular matter, the one that created this thread, is about to be peacefully resolved to the satisfaction of all parties. In fact, I gather it is going to be a rather happy solution, not one forced on another.

The best we can hope for in these 1% or less situations where a consumer has a problem is a good resolution that makes everyone go away satisfied. We also want to see the person who wears the rigns end up pleased and glad to wear them.

It is my understanding that the parties have come to a satisfactory resolution process that is going to be carried out over the next few weeks. Thanks to all the participation of many here, this is a situation that many others in the future will gain an understanding of what can go wrong or go right. No doubt, the pressure exerted by all these participants made everyone actually involved, wish the matter to be settled. That's a positive spin to bring this to a conclusion.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glad to hear its being settled.
Thanks for the update Dave.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/16/2007 1:21:30 PM
Author: oldminer
I won''t go into detail in this matter, but there are two or even three sides to these situations.
My understanding is that this particular matter, the one that created this thread, is about to be peacefully resolved to the satisfaction of all parties. In fact, I gather it is going to be a rather happy solution, not one forced on another.

The best we can hope for in these 1% or less situations where a consumer has a problem is a good resolution that makes everyone go away satisfied. We also want to see the person who wears the rigns end up pleased and glad to wear them.

It is my understanding that the parties have come to a satisfactory resolution process that is going to be carried out over the next few weeks. Thanks to all the participation of many here, this is a situation that many others in the future will gain an understanding of what can go wrong or go right. No doubt, the pressure exerted by all these participants made everyone actually involved, wish the matter to be settled. That''s a positive spin to bring this to a conclusion.
Good news..., a WIN/WIN situation...., and solution.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations to both parties on reaching an amicable resolution!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results