shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with a couple of rubies please?

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Hey guys,

I hope everyone is staying nice and safe. Hunting for lovely jewellery is an escape from reality from me at the moment, so please forgive me for potentially seeming frivolous, really not trying to seem frivolous at all. :)

I have loved the idea of a ruby for years, but unlike diamonds, where I feel I can get quite a grasp on certification, angles, ideal cut etc, rubies seem much more difficult, and most rubies I see in person just seem so 'meh'. Also I live in England and that seems to make things more of a challenge.

Now I'm going to sound disgustingly clichéd, but my ideal ruby would be an unheated, untreated Burmese ruby with a reliable certificate. But I don't want large, I would be very happy with around half a carat or even less if needed. I just have no idea how to find them. I had actually emailed National Gemstone a while ago but unfortunately, as nice as Robert was, he does not source anything under a carat, and I'm actually after something under a carat. His stones are out of this world and markedly out of my budget.

For me certified unheated and untreated is the most important, tied with quality of colour and a stone with no window etc. I find the idea of fluorescence very appealing (not sure if all rubies fluoresce but would prefer one that does). Burmese would be... icing on the cake.

I have found a couple of options, one Burmese and one not Burmese. I'm a bit nervous about posting them here because I'm worried about them being poached as I have seen so commonly happen on the diamond forum. Is there a way to share them in a way that is not so obvious so I can get opinions but without such immediate risk of poaching?

Furthermore, I think I'm starting to get really confused. I think there might be a disconnect between what I believe in my head and what is actual reality. To me a Ruby is RED. Now, the specific red I'm after is this sort of deep red with a blue base that never blacks out. Does that make sense? Like a dark red rose. Like probably it's darker than what they call 'pidgeon blood', but still definitely red. To me a stone with a pink undertone is more of a sapphire (but maybe I just don't properly understand), and I don't like rubies either with very little modifier (pure red) or more orange tones (apologies, to my eyes this makes them more stoplight red and that's not the colour I'm after, although they're still beautiful stones). I get that all rubies will have pink (and orange) in... I'm just not sure how much I want to be seeing.

However, it seems that most small rubies don't look like the way I'm describing as a want, and how I imagined them in my head. The Burmese Ruby I found actually definitely looks quite pink on my computer screen (another issue I'm aware is the whole ability to photograph a colour accurately/the way the screen shows it etc) but it has a GIA certificate (not as good as AGL?) saying it's a Burmese Ruby and that it's red. But to me it kind of looks pinks. If it's pink doesn't that really mean it's more like a sapphire? And the other ruby is from Madagascar, and some photos it looks red, some photos it has a pink undertone and I've seen a video of it and that looks... almost fuchsia. I'm told the video isn't really the way it looks in real life.

I'm really confused. I'm also sort of thinking that if I had a ruby that was certified Burmese unheated and untreated, maybe I wouldn't really care about what exact undertone it had because it's Burmese unheated and untreated...?

The Burmese Ruby is 0.59 carats with a GIA report. It is unheated. It is 4.71mm - 4.87mm. Its girdle is somewhat mothbitten, it was reclaimed from a vintage ring that I believe had a bezel. I'm not sure what I think of its mothbitten-ness. I would prefer pristine but that's unrealistic and I recognise it has a history. It looks extremely silk-filled to my extremely uneducated eyes. Is that a bad thing or a good thing? I suspect based on National Gemstone, it's very much lacking the transparency because of the silk and maybe that's not a good thing. But it's very pretty - and maybe too pink? But GIA say it's a ruby... so confused.

The other ruby is from Madagascar. It's 4.5mm and 0.53 carats. It doesn't have a certificate but I'm told it can be sent for AGL to prove it's unheated/untreated after the lockdown ends and I would get a refund if it were. It looks more transparent to me. I'm not sure I have an opinion about transparency one way or another when it comes to rubies.

Basically I don't know what I'm doing, and maybe I don't even know what I want! Help! :)

@Lykame I think this is a difficult fine too be searching for a quality ruby. Basically you have to work with what people currently have in stock, as production has halted around the world.

I like the 4.5mm ruby I believe you're talking about. I'm more about the beauty of the stone itself rather than origin, as I've seen a fair number of Burmese origin rubies that are more recently mined that didn't thrill me. It looks like you're looking for a round in particular? That'll make things harder, as most rubies are cut into oval or cushion shapes. If you're not particular on the shape, the same vendor with the 4.5mm ruby also has a pear that would be one of my top picks for its red color, if I were still on the lookout for a ruby. Alas, I've fallen in love with red spinels, and would like to set those before acquiring another ruby. The money for the 1.2 ct pear is likely about as much as National Gemstone would charge for 0.5 ct or smaller if Robert Genis had been willing to source smaller stones.

Have you spoken with Inken of Enhoerning Jewelry? I've seen her source small rubies of exceptional color, and she is very knowledgeable and might have something in stock. I saw the following video. You might ask her if this ruby is available.

Oh boy oh boy thank you @voce. :kiss2:

Yes this is definitely a terrible time to be looking, :lol: I've been having spurts of looking on and off for a while. I always get a bit disheartened and they're not cheap stones so it sort of fades away... And then when I'm in need of anxiety reducing distraction...!

You're impressive that you know what I'm talking about but I'm also not surprised - it is a beautiful stone. It is the stone that appears fushia on video, which is really surprising, but I'm told it looks more red in person. I just find it hard to imagine and struggle with the distinction between that and a sapphire if it is going fushia on video? But it does look lovely.

I find round most appealing, or some sort of cushion or emerald shape. Unfortunately I am not so keen on pear and the one you're talking about is a bit too stop light red for me... Oops. However, the red of that stone you have linked is the exact red I think about. :kiss2: I am after putting it into a very simple floral type ring, so round works for that purpose in a way other shapes don't... But could be persuaded with other pleasing shapes! I'll contact Inken.

I'll try posting a screenshot or two of the Burmese one to see whether there is any value in thinking about it or whether I'm barking up the wrong tree. I know it's nothing like the colour of the one you have linked but there's something about it that is making me look at it again and again. Also my mum really likes it and I'm always swayed by my mum's opinion.

Sorry forgive my paranoia of making it all so vague:

Screenshot_20200418-002321.jpgScreenshot_20200418-002905.jpgScreenshot_20200418-002937.jpgScreenshot_20200418-002450.jpgScreenshot_20200418-002433.jpgScreenshot_20200418-003054.jpg

Please if you know where this is etc please don't say, if this is lovely then I wants it, I wants it.

What do you think? I note the certificate is from five years ago. I don't know how to interpret the colour and transparency. There's something captivating about it but should I think sapphire? The nibbles in the girdle aren't completely a deal breaker if everything else is great. But I honestly don't know if someone will say... No don't do it it's not a good example. I would also have to figure out whether I prong over those nibbles to hide them? Will that break it? He mentioned the stone could likely be polished and stay over 0.5 carats. Not sure what I think of that either. Sounds both risky and also like I wouldn't mind a polish but also potentially precious stone, don't touch, maybe a polish is blasphemy.

It used to be in a very ornate ring, he's going to do a video of it for me loose.

Totally know this isn't the colour I'm talking about for everything else but that stone does seem to glow and is sucking me in...

The Burmese one has the vaunted silk. I think it's definitely worth checking it out in person to see the color in person. GIA is less precise in terms of describing color on the report. This might be one of those gems that photograph as pink when is red. What are the terms on shipping and return? If I were you I'd get both and compare them in person.

I am not familiar with rubies as the only ones i have are mystery eBay ones that are dark with too much purple, or a tiny stop sign red one that I bought in Burma that turned out to be a spinel... so feel free to disregard what I'm about to say!

The gem dealers who I've spoken to have told me the reds you are describing just aren't mined very often these days (or ever). It's either a pinkish red sapphire/ruby that holds color and glows, or a red to burgundy that darks out. The ONLY one I've tried on that was perfectly red with a crazy glow that didn't lean pink was a small unheated Thai at Mouawad that was the very reasonable price of 80k. Maybe once the lockdown is lifted you could call the Hatton and Brighton lane antiques to see if they have anything that could then be sent to a lab for analysis. Because you may find a great deal if you buy one that's built up some character, and pay to clean it up. It could also go horribly wrong and you end up out of pocket with a synthetic or treated stone. But may be a fun search!

@voce Vaunted is an awesome word. Yes, it's the silk that seems to glow. If GIA are less accurate with colour, does that mean they could call a sapphire a ruby? (I know they're both corundum).

Both have full refund return policies, it's just problematic from an import tax and VAT point of view as I would lose that, I believe, which I really don't want to do. I'll see what the video for the Burmese one looks like. The current owner said the colour of the picture on the GIA cert is more accurate. I'm starting to feel however like I would be adding my name to the thread about the one that got away if I don't go for the Burmese one....

@737lizakg I saw a thread recently of sending a ruby to AGL that was then found to be synthetic... Sad times... Would love to see pictures of your efforts... Do you have threads on them?

The one @voce posted is a "stoplight" red, that's a pretty near to Ideal red IMHO, the one you have posted is a pink red, look at your own photos side by side to the one @voce showed you, that is red, the one you like is way pinker which you said you didn't want.

Go for colour not origin.

I did not post them because they are most definitely not PS worthy! I am not sure where you are in the uk, but maybe try finding a dealer who works out of a free port, who could be your middle man for stones coming in from abroad. It will cost you, but, they have the right bring items into the country without being subject to vat. It is only when it leave the freeport that customs are imposed. At least that's how it works in Switzerland. If you are anticipating buying and returning several before finding 'the one', it may be a good investment of time and money. Although if my experience is anything to go by, the freeport may feel a little sketchy. Our nearest one is a block. With no windows for the first 4 floors and then a labyrinth of unmarked halls and doors, surrounded by men who are clearly security but are just 'hanging out' nonchalantly.

Screenshot_20200417-173704.png
My guess is that this is closest to how the Burmese ruby will look in person, not a stoplight red but a silky pinkish red, and it's very typical color for Burmese ruby. I think it has to come down to how important is the color, vs other things that attract you i.e. silk, origin, and price. Btw the one I linked, I believe is around the price of the Madagascar ruby but a superior color.

This color for the Burmese ruby you're considering isn't pigeon's blood, but it is a lovely color on its own. I think the right question to ask, is how much you insist on finding the color you want, versus being open to a range of colors and letting the stone captivate you.

Thanks @arkieb1 - yeah interestingly the one @voce showed I find darker than stoplight red - it looks more on the blood spectrum to me? I do really love that colour. I prefer that colour to the Madagascar one, I feel it's better to my preferences.

I do also really love the Burmese one, I like the glow, the silk looks lovely, I love that it's unheated... I've just seen @voce's new post and the finger pictures are why I keep coming back to it because that's a wonderful colour. If that's its colour then it's lovely. I just do not want a sapphire... I want a ruby... And rubies are red... And that's where I start to get confused and a bit nervous. I was always taught if there was pink it wasn't a ruby but that's clearly not true if that's a typical ruby colour. The blood red rubies I know are definitely rubies so I find them less confusing (and also a glorious colour). If the Burmese one is definitely a ruby then I'm good with that colour too... Does that make sense? Pink modifiers scare me because I love sapphire, but if I wanted a sapphire I would buy one...

For price whilst still being vague, the Madagascar one is a bit cheaper than the blood red one @voce posted, and the Burmese one is about two hundred more than that.

Also @arkieb1, totally see what you're saying, I see the colour difference too - I'll email Inken tomorrow, it's very late here for me at the moment. I hear the colour over origin thing. Really have to think about this carefully as I am swayed by silk and Burmese too...

@737lizakg, that sounds sort of amazing, sort of scary and I would have no idea how to form those sorts of relationships! :lol:

Ok I have reserved the Burmese one so I can share the videos I just got.

Honestly I totally get that this isn't the blood red I was talking about but I'm thinking it looks really stunning. He says through this lense it looks more pink but in person it's more red?

Ignore what I said my preferences were for a moment (clearly heck if I know) and just let me know whether or not this is a good Burmese unheated ruby? Am I missing something?

I'll then think on it over the weekend so I can get over my initial squee and be a bit more pragmatic and sensible. Oh, and check in with Inken.

Thanks guys, honestly what would I do without you?

Anyone? I know it's difficult but I would be so grateful for an opinion on the Burmese video. :) @voce? :) I can't tell if any of those were videoed in sunlight so I've asked for that, too. Am I correct in thinking sunlight will make the silk show?

I'll risk it - the video for the Madagascar one is this (outside in sunlight):

It's so fuchsia - or perhaps a bit more purple - on video. So weird that they appear to colour change in that way, I suspect a bit of a similar phenomenon with the Burmese one too. Both are fluorescent. (Also I know it's not actually colour change).

I have messaged Inken and she responded, and hopefully will be getting back to me with stones shortly. :) I think I'll know looking at those really what colour direction I want to go in. They're all so beautiful. I think I'm attracted somewhat to 'glow' and vibrancy over exact shade, I'm realising? Does that help?

I'm not super impressed with either ruby as they appear in the videos. Both look fuchsia in the video, not my favorite shade, and I don't know, the slight silk in the Burmese one doesn't really mesmerize me. I personally would still pick a stone like the one I linked over either of these.

At the end of the day, it's not what I like, night what you like, that really matters. I think it's important to look at multiple videos and then make your best decision off of that.

I'm not super impressed with either ruby as they appear in the videos. Both look fuchsia in the video, not my favorite shade, and I don't know, the slight silk in the Burmese one doesn't really mesmerize me. I personally would still pick a stone like the one I linked over either of these.

At the end of the day, it's not what I like, night what you like, that really matters. I think it's important to look at multiple videos and then make your best decision off of that.

Thank you, I'm finding this seriously helpful talking this out, I really appreciate your time. I prefer the Burmese fuchsia over the Madagascan fuchsia, there's something more vibrant about it. I actually really like fuchsia as a colour with lots of red in it (I have clothes in that colour). I'm not put off by that colour at all, it's very pleasing to my eye.

Inken shared a Burmese 0.77 unheated AGL ruby:

It's a bit too wonky for me. I've asked her if she has anything else. It's also not as nice a red to me as the one you linked originally, but I'm not sure why the red you linked is nicer to me. A touch darker? I actually prefer the fuschia type colour than a red that's stoplight red. Then I wondered whether I should just get a hot pink sapphire, so I've been looking around for those, but they're definitely not red enough... argh!!!!

Here is a fuchsia sapphire that did not make the cut to ruby. I got it from mastercut gems and he had got a cert as he thought it was a ruby... but it came back sapphire. It was a deal for me as I thinkhe would have charged 3x as muCh if it had come back ruby.20200418_101343.jpg

This is one of my favorite stones that I own! I love this color :)

Why does the silk look so much more in his pictures? I can't find anything obvious about silk and spotlighting vs sunlight? Been reading some lovely threads with contributions by yourself and various other awesome people like @Bron357. It's almost like the intense spotlighting makes the silk melt away but I realise that is likely not true? I can see how that would not be true. In which case how did he make such a thing out of it with the pictures and it hasn't come through on the video?

I definitely can say I'm not that keen on pure stoplight red. I need some sort of modifier to either darken it out a bit or maybe go back towards a red with lots of vibrant fuchsia in it.

@deorwine thanks! On a similar theme, I really love Precision Gem. I wouldn't even mind a lab-created ruby with his darker material!!! He just doesn't send to the UK anymore. :(2:(2:(2

Thank you, I'm finding this seriously helpful talking this out, I really appreciate your time. I prefer the Burmese fuchsia over the Madagascan fuchsia, there's something more vibrant about it. I actually really like fuchsia as a colour with lots of red in it (I have clothes in that colour). I'm not put off by that colour at all, it's very pleasing to my eye.

Inken shared a Burmese 0.77 unheated AGL ruby:

It's a bit too wonky for me. I've asked her if she has anything else. It's also not as nice a red to me as the one you linked originally, but I'm not sure why the red you linked is nicer to me. A touch darker? I actually prefer the fuschia type colour than a red that's stoplight red. Then I wondered whether I should just get a hot pink sapphire, so I've been looking around for those, but they're definitely not red enough... argh!!!!
Do you even need a ruby at all? Maybe you just like the idea of owning something that's a ruby, but would actually be more pleased with hot pink sapphire?

The 0.77 ct Burmese she has is just as red as the one I linked you, it just has more silk to it. The one I originally linked was more transparent with less silk.

I cannot honestly call what I saw from the videos (if they're accurate in color) a ruby, because it resembles a pink sapphire Bron357 set in a fabulous setting and named Barbie. However, as I know it's difficult to get color to represent accurately on camera for rubies, I think you should try and see if the vendors can show you the ruby at its reddest. Earlier this year I purchased this ruby ring from Enhoerning. I really zoomed in on the photos, so you see the color compared to what I consider a "stoplight red" ruby (Tanzania origin) engagement ring. I'm not wearing it these days because it needs to be resized now that I have gained weight under the COVID-19 situation, and no jewelers I know are able to resize it with the shelter-in-place restrictions in place.

Why does the silk look so much more in his pictures? I can't find anything obvious about silk and spotlighting vs sunlight? Been reading some lovely threads with contributions by yourself and various other awesome people like @Bron357. It's almost like the intense spotlighting makes the silk melt away but I realise that is likely not true? I can see how that would not be true. In which case how did he make such a thing out of it with the pictures and it hasn't come through on the video?

I definitely can say I'm not that keen on pure stoplight red. I need some sort of modifier to either darken it out a bit or maybe go back towards a red with lots of vibrant fuchsia in it.

Maybe the "silk" in his pictures are a trick of the light that fooled me. I don't see much silk from the videos. It's definitely not the more silk the better, so don't worry about it. I suspect that the silk in the ruby ring I linked in this post makes it so that the camera captures a window in the gem, but my naked eye does not see a window in person. Silk can make a ruby look more "intense" and obscure the facets in specific lighting, such as sunset lighting.

If you're not keen on stoplight red, that would make you a rare bird among many, but that definitely works out for your wallet! :razz:

Do you even need a ruby at all? Maybe you just like the idea of owning something that's a ruby, but would actually be more pleased with hot pink sapphire?

The 0.77 ct Burmese she has is just as red as the one I linked you, it just has more silk to it. The one I originally linked was more transparent with less silk.

I cannot honestly call what I saw from the videos (if they're accurate in color) a ruby, because it resembles a pink sapphire Bron357 set in a fabulous setting and named Barbie. However, as I know it's difficult to get color to represent accurately on camera for rubies, I think you should try and see if the vendors can show you the ruby at its reddest. Earlier this year I purchased this ruby ring from Enhoerning. I really zoomed in on the photos, so you see the color compared to what I consider a "stoplight red" ruby (Tanzania origin) engagement ring. I'm not wearing it these days because it needs to be resized now that I have gained weight under the COVID-19 situation, and no jewelers I know are able to resize it with the shelter-in-place restrictions in place.

Maybe the "silk" in his pictures are a trick of the light that fooled me. I don't see much silk from the videos. It's definitely not the more silk the better, so don't worry about it. I suspect that the silk in the ruby ring I linked in this post makes it so that the camera captures a window in the gem, but my naked eye does not see a window in person. Silk can make a ruby look more "intense" and obscure the facets in specific lighting, such as sunset lighting.

IMG_20200314_105253.jpgIMG_20191122_135838972.jpgIMG_20190621_183723064.jpg

If you're not keen on stoplight red, that would make you a rare bird among many, but that definitely works out for your wallet! :razz:

I love your post, thank you! Honestly, I'm so grateful.

You've hit the nail on the head in many ways. I really like the idea of owning a ruby, and painfully really like the idea of owning an unheated Burmese Ruby. I'm trying hard to get in control of that because I recognise colour is more important than location. I want a ruby because I want the characteristics of a ruby such as the GLOW. Hmm!

However, what most people would consider a ruby with the stoplight red as being the best colour, to me in my head that's too 'light' a colour when it comes to red. Oh my god, that makes me terrible I know. I do like red rubies a lot - but I just would want a tone a shade or two darker than 'stoplight'. OR - maybe something more on the pink scale IF that's considered acceptable for a ruby, and if I'm not paying for a ruby but getting a sapphire. The Burmese Ruby I'm looking at is about £900. I would then have to pay import etc.

I have spent a long time looking through hot pink sapphires and purple sapphires. None of those is the right colour either - they're not red enough. Hahaha yes yes I know.

Your post about your unheated Burmese Ruby is really useful and very educational. I can definitely see... a pink tone in the stone compared to your beautiful and stunning stoplight red engagement ring. It's very obvious when they are next to each other. Your stoplight red engagement stone is amazing - and not the colour I'm after. :lol:

I've just had an email from the Burmese ruby owner let me look at that. :)

Okay now I'm really confused. These are daylight videos and pictures. It's so weird? Not what I was expecting I don't think?

Is it windowed?

Screenshot_20200418-202722.jpg
Screenshot_20200418-202807.jpg
Screenshot_20200418-202904.jpg
Screenshot_20200418-202942.jpg
Screenshot_20200418-203055.jpg

Totally know videos and pictures are difficult and everything but the very vibrant other pictures that were there... I'm not seeing the same level of saturation under sunlight so much at all? Or am I misinterpreting it?

Maaan.

I love your post, thank you! Honestly, I'm so grateful.

You've hit the nail on the head in many ways. I really like the idea of owning a ruby, and painfully really like the idea of owning an unheated Burmese Ruby. I'm trying hard to get in control of that because I recognise colour is more important than location. I want a ruby because I want the characteristics of a ruby such as the GLOW. Hmm!

However, what most people would consider a ruby with the stoplight red as being the best colour, to me in my head that's too 'light' a colour when it comes to red. Oh my god, that makes me terrible I know. I do like red rubies a lot - but I just would want a tone a shade or two darker than 'stoplight'. OR - maybe something more on the pink scale IF that's considered acceptable for a ruby, and if I'm not paying for a ruby but getting a sapphire. The Burmese Ruby I'm looking at is about £900. I would then have to pay import etc.

I have spent a long time looking through hot pink sapphires and purple sapphires. None of those is the right colour either - they're not red enough. Hahaha yes yes I know.

Your post about your unheated Burmese Ruby is really useful and very educational. I can definitely see... a pink tone in the stone compared to your beautiful and stunning stoplight red engagement ring. It's very obvious when they are next to each other. Your stoplight red engagement stone is amazing - and not the colour I'm after. :lol:

I've just had an email from the Burmese ruby owner let me look at that. :)

Aw, how does that possibly make you terrible? It means that you are likely to find what you want at a cheaper price than the rest of us who are following the crowd :) Though it's possible it might also take a little longer to find!

(Also, ugh, the color and clarity on my not-quite-a-ruby doesn't seem to have come out at all in the picture -- it looks purple in the picture but it has a distinct red-pink tint to it and I can see why Dana thought the report might come out as a ruby even though I think it clearly does not. It's not hot pink though -- I am with you, hot pink and purple are not red enough. I almost think what you might say to vendors is, "I'm looking for sapphires that are just on the border between ruby and sapphire," and that might get you what you want.

Hehe thank you @deorwine that's very kind! I just am finding it a bit awkward hunting with all these vendors, I feel like I'm wasting their time a little if I ask for videos and pictures, and then don't go with them. It does make me uncomfortable.

These borderline stones or stones that might be one thing and end up being another... I am totally understanding now why it's so difficult!!! I would love to see your not-quite-a-ruby stone, but I also appreciate that whatever you post may not be what you actually see in person. Also, you said earlier about your stones not being 'PS quality' but I don't believe that - all sparklies are PS sparklies. You clearly liked them enough to get them! :)

I think that's a very wise thing to say to a vendor actually and might help - that I'm looking at stones at the border between ruby and sapphire. I'll see whether that perhaps works? Thanks so much! :) I'm almost going back to that original Madagascan stone, with red but fuchsia under camera and has fluorescence and looks well-saturated under sunlight - whereas that Burmese one does not look well saturated under sunlight?

Using preciousgemstones.com (let's ignore the prices for a moment. :eek2: ), I can say:

I really love this colour red:
Red 60, Pink/Purple 30, Orange 10

And I like this colour red less:
Red 70, Orange 15 Pink/Purple 15

It's really subtle huh, but the first stone is definitely 'darker' than the stoplight red of the second stone. It has more pink/purple in it but it's still red. However, although it's more pink/purple it's definitely still red. And it's not a lighter red - it's a darker red.

Somehow, the ruby Inken shared that was very very red reminds me more of the second stone - as in, more red and less pink/purple.

It's making me wonder if that Madagascan one would actually work quite well and it makes me think that maybe, based on the daylight videos of the Burmese one, that stone isn't the right stone, even though I really loved the spotlight videos. :( Poodles.

Rather than say you're after a darker red, I'd say you're after a red with a color modifier. The two examples you linked from preciousgemstones.com are the same "darkness" or tone of 70 from the AGL report--and to my eyes too. The second one is more of a screaming stoplight red, and the other one isn't darker, but not as pure a red. It's easier on the eyes than the purer red and not as "loud".

Regardless of what you decide to do, my advice is to go for a stone that looks good to you in all lighting.

@voce that's really useful. You're right. I've clearly been using that word incorrectly to people who understand rubies (when I clearly don't :lol: ), and it clearly means something different to you guys. Fully understand what you mean now though and it's really useful to know.

It was super useful seeing the Burmese ruby in daylight. As much as I liked the colour in the spotlighting videos, I don't care for it at all in sunlight, so that's that. Was that because it's not very saturated? I was so hopeful as well about that one, really glad he was able to show me the sunlight photos and videos otherwise I think I would have gone for it and then had the hassle of returning it.

Inken is being extremely helpful, thanks for the recommendation, and I am listening carefully to all your advice. :)

My 5 cents. I think you might have to decide what matters most - origin or colour. It seems that most Burmese rubies mined recently are more pink toned than true red. Likewise Thai rubies can have the darker tone but lack the fluorescence of Burma rubies. I’ve seen some really lovely Madagascar rubies and seeing as you pay such a premium for the “Burma” label I’d be more open regarding origin to get the ruby of the colour and tone you desire.

This is my Burmese ruby in sunlight. It’s with my Victorian ring with a purple hued ruby (it was sold to me as ruby) and my vivid pink sapphire (which some might say is a ruby) It’s an old stock gem and has the fluorescence that people pay $$$ for. There is no point in paying the premium for B8A00B32-25FE-432A-B30A-C170EF89AAF3.jpega Burmese origin ruby iAA7A1909-5627-4A47-9BA2-2DA5A9D434D0.jpegF7EBB4B1-4ADD-46E3-B65D-B95F10D97A63.jpegf it doesn’t have the fabled glow.

Hi @Bron357!

That glow!!! Wowee. Wowee. Seriously. Gosh. Yes.

It appears I'm after:
Red with a bit of a pink/purple modifier to stop it being quite so 'loud' as @voce says.
I don't think I want pure red tone and definitely not something with an orange to it. When I am using the term 'darker' I am not really meaning saturation of colour but more... that there's something a bit extra to the colour than just red. A bit of extra purple? But not so much that it's a purple or pink stone.
Fluorescence
Unheated
Small (around half a carat?)
Burmese would be icing on the cake.

Is that doable? I don't know what budget I would need for that, really.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP